ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it possible to shorten standard shocks???

Clio Extreme 1.2 16v 2003
As title says...

Is it possible to get standard shock abrorbers shortened? if so dose anyone know were i can get it done in the birmingham area and how much it may cost?

I replaced the standard springs for some 60mm spax ones 2 years ago with the standard shocks.

Would this be correct in any way...?

Replacing the standard springs with spax 60mm would have only lowered the ride height by 60mm which in turn leaves the shocks compressed an extra 60mm shortening the distance allowed for the compression cycle. The shock absorbers being compressed before even going over a bump with a shorter compression cycle distance leads to the full compression of the shock and therefore impacting the bace valve leading to damage/spliting of the shock absorber or causing leakage.

My shocks are gone... was thinking of gettong some new ones shortened before putting them on the car

yeh but im not willing to spend £300+ plus on my first car just on suspention... only going to have it anothere 3 years min, will be 5 years driving then and could get any car as the insurance will be jack...

plus its not like i can take the suspention from car to car... like my parrot kit, ice, navman etc... the suspentions different for every car and i wout see that cash again when it comes to selling the car eventually

Vw caddy tdi
Friend had some shortened avo mk1 clio rear dampers on his ph1 172 rs they fitted, think they were ok. His m8 had them just lying about from new and his were no good so they tried um.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
plus its not like i can take the suspention from car to car... like my parrot kit, ice, navman etc... the suspentions different for every car and i wout see that cash again when it comes to selling the car eventually

fair enough you dont see the money again but. you do save if the original shocks bust again .. and Labour fitting them .. as the coilovers are designed to handle the strain/pressure of lowering the ride height..

read that the ride quality isnt is not alwas a hell of a lot better with coilovers