ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it ok to run your 172 on standard 95 unleaded

Its totally fine to run the 172 on 95 octane.

higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane fuels do to prevent detonation. running more octane than you need will cause more engine deposits to form, and that will cause a decrease in engine performance and fuel economy.

High octane offers protection on engines that need it (turbos, nos, superchargers, highly modded engines with high compression) if your clio is seriously modded then run it. otherwise dont.

but what the f**k do i know, ive only owned my clio a week

most of the gains people get in the clio by putting v max or super in is all in the mind.:rasp:

Lets leave it with only a week shall we, if your driving 300miles in one go using 95 you will blow a spark plug straight out the top of your engine. Search for the posts or look at some of mine form about a year ago. We are using 98 in our clios to prevent preignition in our short stroke high revving engines not to gain performance!

p.s no hard feelings and welcome to clio sport.

Beg to differ on that, i ran 95ron all the way to the ring, round the ring and back again, 1250 miles in total, sometimes averaging 120mph for miles on end with no problems.

Lots of Alfas
Its totally fine to run the 172 on 95 octane.

higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane fuels do to prevent detonation. running more octane than you need will cause more engine deposits to form, and that will cause a decrease in engine performance and fuel economy.

High octane offers protection on engines that need it (turbos, nos, superchargers, highly modded engines with high compression) if your clio is seriously modded then run it. otherwise dont.

but what the f**k do i know, ive only owned my clio a week

most of the gains people get in the clio by putting v max or super in is all in the mind.:rasp:

Lets leave it with only a week shall we, if your driving 300miles in one go using 95 you will blow a spark plug straight out the top of your engine. Search for the posts or look at some of mine form about a year ago. We are using 98 in our clios to prevent preignition in our short stroke high revving engines not to gain performance!

p.s no hard feelings and welcome to clio sport.

Was this proved to be the fuel?????

1998 BMW e46 323i
if your driving 300miles in one go using 95 you will blow a spark plug straight out the top of your engine. Search for the posts or look at some of mine form about a year ago. We are using 98 in our clios to prevent preignition in our short stroke high revving engines not to gain performance!

WTF? I've used 95 RON for over 50k in the 172,.. still all my 4 spark plugs are in place?!?!

vers le haut doigt milieu
mate it takes a perfect condition u know! just search how many times this has happend to people on this forum.

Clio 172 FF
My feul cap does say 98 ron only, but the way i see it, its only a renault clio with millions of units produced for loads of countrys, they have to make engines able to run on many qualitys of petrol and there fore i dont see why using basic 95ron would make much differnce as these engines hvae to be designed to be able to run on any feul and by many differnt driving styles.

1998 BMW e46 323i
mate it takes a perfect condition u know! just search how many times this has happend to people on this forum.

You are talking nonsense mate. I've driven to Scotland and back like my pants were on fire. 95 does NOT make your plugs pop out. What a joker

it can if the conditions are right, and the conditions are extreme heat and pressure - exactly the conditions you find in the combustion chamber. When this happens, it's called detonation or pre-ignition. Diesel engines rely on this process because they don't have a spark plug in the traditional sense of the word. However in petrol engines, when this happens (also known as dieseling), it's a Very Bad Thing. Engines are designed to have the fuel-air mix burn at a fixed point in the cycle, not explode randomly. Whilst it might look like an explosion, if you could film it on a super high-speed camera, you'd see the mixture actually burns up very quickly rather than exploding. The intake valve is on the right, the exhaust valve on the left. Detonation, dieseling or pre-ignition are all terms for what happens when the fuel-air mix spontaneously explodes rather than burning. Normally this happens when the mixture is all fouled up, and the engine is running hot. The temperature and pressure build up too quickly in the combustion chamber and before the piston can reach the top of its travel, the mixture explodes. This explosion tries to counteract the advancing piston and puts an enormous amount of stress on the piston, the cylinder walls and the connecting rod. From the outside of the engine, you'll hear it as a knocking or pinging sound. The precise sound is very hard to describe because every engine sounds slightly different when it happens. But the best way I can describe it is a constant 'toc toc toc' type knocking sound.
ffs...

1998 BMW e46 323i
'Most modern cars have knock sensors screwed into the engine at multiple places. These actually detect the vibration or shock caused by detonation (rather than trying to detect the sound) and can signal the engine management system to change the ignition timing to reduce or eliminate the problem'

We can all cut and paste. Anyone lost a spark plug yet? Just checked and mine are still there.

IMO if your engine cant run on 95 ron, i would say there is something else wrong. As i have said, 1200 miles ring and back on 95 ron, 150mph top speed run on the unrestricted motorway, not one beat missed. Just my opinion, but there is something a miss if its struggling with 95 ron.

Again IMO and not wanting to cause an argument or insult anyone.

clio 172, pulsar, evo
i totally agree with ben above.
if it cant run on 95 then there is def a problem with something like engine temp or over fueling or spark angle etc. could have been the wrong plugs or a plug failure. But i dont doubt something happened to your engine bash.

bash said he drove some 300 miles....
well i just took my clio 400 miles from scotland to london and i was gunning it. I know what pinging sounds like (ive had many turbo cars which have suffered on tuning) and i didnt hear it. not once.
im actually just looking into fitting a knock sensor to my car, just because of this thread!:) im very interested to know.

ive spent my driving life only filling up with high octane. i was so happy to get a car that runs on 95.
ive looked at the petrol recomendation and it says 98 ron (as a recomendation) for the clio.

(ps bash, im enjoying my first week of clio ownership and cliosport membership.... i love a good discussion:) )

Same here ally, be aware it can happen thats all. just search preignition etc.

clio 172, pulsar, evo
what does the standard 172 ecu map a clios engine at? is it 95 octane?

there are european countrys where the clio 172 is sold that dont have high octane readily available. what then?

im also going to try and find if the 172 has a knock sensor and if it advances as well as retards timing. many modern engines do have them but alot of them only r****d. otherwise ill fit one! Then ill let you guys know if we are close to catastrophic engine failures or not ;)

im still standing by my original statements several pages ago:rasp:
cheers guys

it does and when it know's its going it will iluminate ur ecu light, as it isnt constant it will flash rappidly. if this ever does happen pull over straight away, <- the best advice I can give on this matter.

clio 172, pulsar, evo
perhaps yours failed?
and the setting sun back from germany was so blinding that you couldnt see the rapidly flashing ECU warning. before you knew it spark plugs were flying all over the place ;)

lol.

but seriously bash, would the ecu light not have been flashing for a while in your case? the car must have been detecting the knock? if it has a sensor then why could it not warn you? why let you do this to the engine?
(dont know if this sounds like im having a go, i am actually really interested in this topic and am keen to know)

Last edited: