ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is anyone running snow tyres on the 1*2's this winter ? And how much ?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Is there anyone on here running winter tyres on there 1*2's this year ?

If so where is the best place you have found for them ?
By that i mean price for supply and fitting.

As most places in Aberdeen are wanting over £115 a tyre for cheapo brands:eek:
And some tyre outlets say they can only get them in 195 50 R16.....

If i was to go for 195 50 R16 tyres would i have any scrubbing issues ?
My car now has the coilovers removed and is back on the standard suspension for this year as last year it was like a bloody snow plough and went nowhere :(

IMG_0285.jpg

Unless your lowered then I don't think 50 profile is going to rub, that's what I'm going to be going for anyway, camskill seem to be pretty good price wise, certainly the best I've found then just get them fitted.

why not get some cheap 15" steels and then the tyres would be cheaper too?

I have my sheep wheels (Turinis) for summer and was gonna use the standard 172 wheels for winter.
I would get 15" steelies, but the time i buy them and put decent tyres on them i could have 16" winter tyres on my 172 wheels.

I was just wandering where the best price was for winters thats all.

Unless your lowered then I don't think 50 profile is going to rub, that's what I'm going to be going for anyway, camskill seem to be pretty good price wise, certainly the best I've found then just get them fitted.

Ok, i wasn't sure if they'd rub thats all.

I was looking at Camskill but they said they were out of stock so wandered if anyone knew anywhere else.

Any reccomendations whats the best ?
Vredestein ?
Pirelli ?
Hankook ?

Or are the cheapo makes (Roadstone etc) just as good as you ain't exactly going to be nipping about that quick in the snow.

Passat
I had a set of cheap ones on my Volvo last year and they were absolutely brilliant. Having some serious problems sourcing any for the Clio this year though.

I got some conti winter contacts and my brother runs some falken winter tires. I got them from camskill last year before it was cool to get winter tyres lol. I was £340 for all 4.

I had a set of cheap ones on my Volvo last year and they were absolutely brilliant. Having some serious problems sourcing any for the Clio this year though.

Tell me about it :(

Rare rims are selling them on here.

Instead of taking the coilovers off, why didn't you just wind them up a few cms?

It was just as quick to remove them as the c spanners they give you are s**t and keep slipping.
t saves them from the salty shitty roads too :approve:

There's always plenty in gumtree :coffee:

Is there ?
Not up here in that size there aint

http://www.mytyres.co.uk complete wheel packages, winter tyres mounted on steel wheels about £120 per corner.

I don't want steel wheels if i have 1*2 alloys i can use.......................

I got some conti winter contacts and my brother runs some falken winter tires. I got them from camskill last year before it was cool to get winter tyres lol. I was £340 for all 4.

i guess i'll have to keep an eye on there website as they were out of stock on 195 50 R16 and 195 45 R16 the last time i looked :banghead:

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Won't they scrub like hell ?

I wouldn't have thought so, and others of better size will pop up if you keep an eye on it.

I run 195/65/15 on the rear and 205/60/15 front (had 2 blowouts mid winter last year and couldn't get matching replacements, the car was on coilovers at the time and I didn't have any issues, my arches were already modified (hit with a big hammer) though as it was on 17s when I first got it and scrubbed like hell

I wouldn't have thought so, and others of better size will pop up if you keep an eye on it.

I run 195/65/15 on the rear and 205/60/15 front (had 2 blowouts mid winter last year and couldn't get matching replacements, the car was on coilovers at the time and I didn't have any issues, my arches were already modified (hit with a big hammer) though as it was on 17s when I first got it and scrubbed like hell

I'm afraid i'd rather have tyres of the same width (195) all round.
And i'm afraid i don't have home modified arches :rasp:

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Lol! Your loss on the arches :rasp:

Point is mate that took me 2 minutes to find, if you search around I'm sure you'd find something suitable, ideally buy new of course, but there are good nearly new winter tyres out there for a lot less, good luck with whatever you do though :)

All are winter tyres and the tyres on each axle are matching in brand and size, no problem there

I wouldnt mix front and back either though, thats just IMO but the clio's rear end wants to come out when its snowing sometimes. I think some rear end weight would help though.

172 cup- suzu rf600r
I wouldnt mix front and back either though, thats just IMO but the clio's rear end wants to come out when its snowing sometimes. I think some rear end weight would help though.

Any car's rear end can slide, but that's more down to how you drive IMO (unless you have Ling Longs on the back lol), each to their own man I can see the logic in what you are saying, but so long as all the tyres are a decent brand and have plenty of tread I don't think theres any real additional risk of the car sliding, and certainly a lot less than 4 matching summers below 7 Celsius :)

That said for summer tyres I usually try to match all 4, but it's not something I worry about over much

Everyone seems to be going on about 15's

I need 195 45 R16 tyres as i aint buying a third set of wheels.

So does anyone know where i can get a set of 195 45 R16 winter tyres that aren't a silly price ?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
It's illegal to mix summer with winter tyres you need them all round or not at all, winter tyres are great, get some 15' wheel and tyres from cam skill, toyo snow proxies are around £50 a corner iirc

172 cup- suzu rf600r
It's illegal to mix summer with winter tyres you need them all round or not at all, winter tyres are great, get some 15' wheel and tyres from cam skill, toyo snow proxies are around £50 a corner iirc

I don't think it is mate, where are you getting that from? It's a bad idea I wouldn't do so personally, so far as I'm aware though UK law doesn't differentiate between summer and winter tyres.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
My dad was going to get winter tyres for the front of his Audi, MOT fail apparently to mix, either all winter or all summer/all weather. Only going off what I've been told mate, also was discussed on here last year, the year before that and the year before that aswell.

Fitting winter tyres to only the front is for pikeys anyway, just shell out and buy winter tyres all round or not at all.

Remember winter tyres are NOT JUST for snow!!!! They help traction and are generally awesome in any temp under 7.5c iirc. My summer tyres are crap in snow, I spent most of my time pushing my car in 2009 in the highlands in winter, 2010 however I sailed everywhere in 'the big freeze'.

2.2 bar shed.
I've been looking at Conti Wintercontacts, but at the size I want theyre £150 a piece!

172 cup- suzu rf600r
My dad was going to get winter tyres for the front of his Audi, MOT fail apparently to mix, either all winter or all summer/all weather. Only going off what I've been told mate, also was discussed on here last year, the year before that and the year before that aswell.

Fitting winter tyres to only the front is for pikeys anyway, just shell out and buy winter tyres all round or not at all.

Remember winter tyres are NOT JUST for snow!!!! They help traction and are generally awesome in any temp under 7.5c iirc. My summer tyres are crap in snow, I spent most of my time pushing my car in 2009 in the highlands in winter, 2010 however I sailed everywhere in 'the big freeze'.

I'm pretty sure it's not an MOT fail point either tbh, but ye either way it's a bad plan, and pikey lol

I just stated above thay mytyres ranged from 60-130 pounds per corner for your size :banghead:

Ouch !!! :dapprove:

Will 15" wheels fit over 1*2 brakes ?

Why would you fit them all round when generally you only need the traction on the front ?

I've been looking at Conti Wintercontacts, but at the size I want theyre £150 a piece!

It seems tyre outlets are taking the piss with there prices and upping prices to cash in :mad:

Toyo snow proxies mate, can't fault mine at all!

Where they from ?

I'm pretty sure it's not an MOT fail point either tbh, but ye either way it's a bad plan, and pikey lol

:eek:

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Lol good replys^ :)

15s fit no problem it's what I roll on.

Your best to fit them all round so that the rear end doesn't become unstable, particularly when braking/swerving