ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iron X is a load os BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Half a bottle on the wheels is mind boggling.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
spray on and leave to work, not much else to it. just dont overspray. 3 or 4 should be more than enough per wheel to get the reaction started

Titanium 182
The iron compound fragments react with the IronX solution. They break down and form a different solution (definition of a solution being a salt/solute dissolved in a solvent, i.e. the new compound dissolved in the IronX solution), hence the purple streaks showing through the originally clear liquid. And I'm guessing IronX contains a Sulphate of some sort, based on the smell, and based on the colour (purple) creates a Ferric Nitrate... Nitrates being soluble in water, thus creating the purple liquid. Yes it dissolves the metal fragments, but then again, water dissolves Sodium, which is metal (based on my memory of the periodic table) - willing to bet he doesn't think water is a bad idea over his car.

Tell him that. If he's still not satisfied, the smart arse, tell him to call me and I'll bore him to death. As in bore holes with drills, not talk.
Sodium is a metal but I'd be worried if your car was made of it. It's very soft and reacts with water by fizzing away to nothing, might even set on fire. The reason being it has 1 electron in its outer shell. (Easily removed by the hydrogen in water)

Guy in op's post sounds like a knob. I'd buy and use it if I could afford it :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The iron compound fragments react with the IronX solution. They break down and form a different solution (definition of a solution being a salt/solute dissolved in a solvent, i.e. the new compound dissolved in the IronX solution), hence the purple streaks showing through the originally clear liquid. And I'm guessing IronX contains a Sulphate of some sort, based on the smell, and based on the colour (purple) creates a Ferric Nitrate... Nitrates being soluble in water, thus creating the purple liquid. Yes it dissolves the metal fragments, but then again, water dissolves Sodium, which is metal (based on my memory of the periodic table) - willing to bet he doesn't think water is a bad idea over his car.

Tell him that. If he's still not satisfied, the smart arse, tell him to call me and I'll bore him to death. As in bore holes with drills, not talk.

You are way off there mate! Water does NOT dissolve sodium.

2 molecules of Sodium rip 2 molecules of water apart into a 2NaHO molecule and one H2 molecule.

That's a chemical change where as dissolving is merely a physical change in the solute and the water molecules themselves actually remain in tact.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He does/we do. Because it's from a tried and tested product line from a reputable company. And I've also explained most of it above.

you explained wrong. I'm guessing that between us we only have one chemistry a level and its not yours? Lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Of course I know what's in it.
so how come you haven't told us what is in it in this thread then if you know?

You think i'd use something that wasn't tried and tested on paintwork?
wouldn't have thought so, although if you do something like mix two waxes together and add the new mixture to some paint would you consider that to have been previously tried and tested even though you're the first to do it with that specific mix? you could be unlucky and the two react although I personally doubt it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
you explained wrong. I'm guessing that between us we only have one chemistry a level and its not yours? Lol

Twice in 2 days you've made a comment like that. Having a bad week?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Twice in 2 days you've made a comment like that. Having a bad week?
Comment like what? What JD was saying about sodium just goes to prove he doesn't have even the most basic level of understanding about chemical reactions if he thinks that the reaction occurring between sodium and water (which is a fairly violent exothermic chemical reaction) is "dissolving".

Im having an epic week thanks mate, I mapped my turbo Clio on Saturday. 280bhp and 310 lbft and its my first trackday of the year on Saturday. So couldn't really be better, what makes you think I'm having a bad week? Just cause I took the mickey that someone is trying to sound like a Chem expert but clearly hasn't a clue?

Funny that. A Level Biology, Chemistry and two others (straight run of As, by the way, from a very well know grammar school). Plus a degree in BioChemistry and Human Genetics. I'm sorry, you were saying?

You appear to have concluded that your age allows you to post as a know it all in the mechanical/other sections of this site, but it's unacceptable for others to use layman's terms in this section?

Pipe down lad.

And as a brief "tit for tat", with a post count per day four times mine, it's clear to see that that Chemistry A Level of yours is going to good use! Got a lot of time on our hands have we?!

Last edited:
if you do something like mix two waxes together and add the new mixture to some paint would you consider that to have been previously tried and tested even though you're the first to do it with that specific mix? you could be unlucky and the two react although I personally doubt it.

Clearly it's a massive risk, as people have never layered one wax over another.

Wait, hang on...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Funny that. A Level Biology, Chemistry and two others (straight run of As, by the way, from a very well know grammar school). Plus a degree in BioChemistry and Human Genetics. I'm sorry, you were saying?

Wow, the education system in this country is CLEARLY failing if you can have an A Level in chemistry and yet still do not know something as basic as what dissolving is!

I am truely gobsmacked at that TBH, I certainly dont think of myself as a chemist and yet even I know the basics like that! In which case my apologies to you for assuming you didnt have a chemistry A level, clearly the failing is not with you but with the board who set your exam and let someone pass with that level of knowledge, not your fault at all mate!

You appear to have concluded that your age allows you to post as a know it all in the mechanical/other sections of this site

I think age is irrelevant, its my level of knowledge that gives me confident posting about thnigs like engines, but even at 16 I would have replied the same way if someone said sodium dissolves in water when I knew categorically it didnt. If you are trying to understand the psychology being how I post on forums its very simple, I post about things I actually know about, and I think others should do the same otherwise people get misled, if Im ever not confident that Im suffiently expert in something I am commenting on then I will make sure my post reflects that (like my first post in this thread for example where I made some guesses at what might be in IronX but I specifically instructed others not to take as gospel as im not a chemist)

And as a brief "tit for tat", with a post count per day four times mine, it's clear to see that that Chemistry A Level of yours is going to good use! Got a lot of time on our hands have we?!

Most of my jobs are related to my degree (software engineering and psychology) rather than chemistry, although I guess I cant avoid the fact that having some education in maths/physics/chemistry certainly helps with things like mapping an engine.
Yes I have quite a bit of free time during normal working hours, im in the lucky position of having skills that seem to be in demand enough that I dont have to work flat out to still pay all the bills and live a lifestyle im happy with, so I do indeed have some free time for things like using this forum which I quite enjoy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Clearly it's a massive risk

I'd disagree, hence I said I doubt they would react, but it does still constitute trial and error which Gally was implying he wouldnt be involved in, so was just poking fun that what he was saying was marginally contradictory thats all.

Wow, the education system in this country is CLEARLY failing if you can have an A Level in chemistry and yet still do not know something as basic as what dissolving is!

I am truely gobsmacked at that TBH, I certainly dont think of myself as a chemist and yet even I know the basics like that! In which case my apologies to you for assuming you didnt have a chemistry A level, clearly the failing is not with you but with the board who set your exam and let someone pass with that level of knowledge, not your fault at all mate!

I think age is irrelevant, its my level of knowledge that gives me confident posting about thnigs like engines, but even at 16 I would have replied the same way if someone said sodium dissolves in water when I knew categorically it didnt. If you are trying to understand the psychology being how I post on forums its very simple, I post about things I actually know about, and I think others should do the same otherwise people get misled, if Im ever not confident that Im suffiently expert in something I am commenting on then I will make sure my post reflects that (like my first post in this thread for example where I made some guesses at what might be in IronX but I specifically instructed others not to take as gospel as im not a chemist)

Most of my jobs are related to my degree (software engineering and psychology) rather than chemistry, although I guess I cant avoid the fact that having some education in maths/physics/chemistry certainly helps with things like mapping an engine.
Yes I have quite a bit of free time during normal working hours, im in the lucky position of having skills that seem to be in demand enough that I dont have to work flat out to still pay all the bills and live a lifestyle im happy with, so I do indeed have some free time for things like using this forum which I quite enjoy.

I think Mr Gove needs to read this. I got a few sentences in to the points about the education system in comparison to... actually I have no idea how young you are, Chip, but guessing 40s... and glazed over (I also did Art A Level; can you tell?).

My knowledge on the subject is sufficient to make educated guesses on the make up of products, such as IronX. Hence I posted (again using the phrase "I'm guessing"). But I'll admit, perhaps use of the word "dissolve" was too dumbed down for the OPs know-it-all of a mate. I hadn't realised I'd be brought up on the point. Perhaps 6 years out of Uni in something completely unrelated has clouded my judgement of use of terms.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Perfectly calm, Luke. Annoyed by the A level accusation Chip made, but he is right about my use of terms. Hence post above.

You're calm but annoyed? Thats nearly as confusing as the non dissolving solution that occurs, lol.

All in good jest from my part, apologies if any genuine offence ocurred, was intended only as banter, was actually quite obvious to me from the rest of your post that you are in the same boat as me, ie you know a bit of chemistry but not enough for giving a solid answer, the only difference was that I admitted it in my post, lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip said:
but thats only my guess and dont take it as gospel as it was a long time since my chem A level and hence I cant really give you much more than that to go on, lol

Must be a chemistry student on here somewhere to ask?

But chip knows more than anyone about anything....

Are you talking about a different Chip?
I was VERY clear that I was just making a guess and explicitly stated that I am NOT a chemistry expert.

There are a few things I know a lot about which are common themes on here (engines, mapping, turbos) so that probably skews things to make it look on here like im a bit of an allrounder far more than I am. But the reality is that I never have and never would attempt to claim I know about "anything", im very open about what I do and dont know, as demonstrated by my first post in this very subject.
I have no intention of ever trying to look like I know more about a subject than I really do, its counterproductive to the sharing of knowledge when people do that, and knowledge share is my whole reason for liking forums.

Your attempt to guess what makes me tick couldnt be wider from the mark mate!

Last edited:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I think there is a fine line between wanting to share knowledge and appearing to be a "know it all" I'm sure you are more knowledgeable than most people but sometimes it comes across badly (as it did above).

Nothing personal, just my take on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.