ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhoneography

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
After a search I couldn’t find a dedicated thread for iPhone photos, and seems as most people on here own one then I think it’s fitting to have a thread of their own.

I’m hoping to see a decent standard of image taken by yourselves (no posting other peoples images) and rather than just a quick snap of a blurred pet we want some nice images.

So I’ll start with some of mine :)

8476662948_300ce9eecc_z.jpg

Pit Garage by Niall97, on Flickr

8476662440_a1fa6338c9_z.jpg

Trafford Centre by Niall97, on Flickr

8462090470_0b09602c01_z.jpg

Pit wall by Niall97, on Flickr

I think an image should stand in its own right without an excuse being made for it been taken on a phone. An ok shot doesn't become wow just because it was shot on a phone. I know there have been some great shots taken on phones and even some weddings have been shot entirely on iPhone.

I personally feel its an emergency tool and not a serious photographic device but it may well be in a few years. Whilst there have been some great pics taken with phones they would have been immeasurably better if taken with a proper camera, but then if a proper camera isn't available....

Anyway why just iPhones? Android devices often pack better inboard cameras! I own an iPhone 5 btw!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I think an image should stand in its own right without an excuse being made for it been taken on a phone. An ok shot doesn't become wow just because it was shot on a phone. I know there have been some great shots taken on phones and even some weddings have been shot entirely on iPhone.

I personally feel its an emergency tool and not a serious photographic device but it may well be in a few years. Whilst there have been some great pics taken with phones they would have been immeasurably better if taken with a proper camera, but then if a proper camera isn't available....

Anyway why just iPhones? Android devices often pack better inboard cameras! I own an iPhone 5 btw!

Well the idea behind it is the sheer popularity of taking picture on phones these days- not their photographic capabilities. Plus, most people have their phones on them nearly all the time, which is not the case with big DSLR’s.

Also if it's images in their own right then why do people shoot film? Film photos are certainly not as good as digital ones with all the dust specs and whatnot?

But ultimately it’s just something different, we see great pictures took on good cameras every day in this section so why not add something away from the normal:)

And the title is the widely used term of iPhoneography. Somehow IOS,AndriodandBlackberryography doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The only time that I will use my phone if I have my camera with me is to do a panoramic or photosphere. I think some phones can produce great images though and they will only get better.
As for shooting on film, I think a lot of people still use this method because is looks better. Portraits, street and pretty much any B&W looks so much better on film.

And as for the term used for phone photography, just drop the "i" and call it phoneography?

Edit 1. Scrap the phonography, its an audio term.

Edit 2. These are what I've taken on my nexus that I like.
2y9aqura.jpg

ze7ahena.jpg

egubada2.jpg

And this one which I took tonight just to send to a mate. Had my DSLR with me and got a good few shots too so will edit those tomorrow.

tu9y4uje.jpg

Last edited:
Well the idea behind it is the sheer popularity of taking picture on phones these days- not their photographic capabilities. Plus, most people have their phones on them nearly all the time, which is not the case with big DSLR’s.

Also if it's images in their own right then why do people shoot film? Film photos are certainly not as good as digital ones with all the dust specs and whatnot?

But ultimately it’s just something different, we see great pictures took on good cameras every day in this section so why not add something away from the normal:)

And the title is the widely used term of iPhoneography. Somehow IOS,AndriodandBlackberryography doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Yeah I get the idea of having a small camera in your pocket all times, as for film well the many rolls of slide and neg under my bed (from a day when digital was unheard of) aren't festooned with dust and its only really in the last 5 years that digital has exceeded film quality. I can only imagine you referring to some poorly scanned (dusty) images you have seen online. On a separate note, The magic of seeing your images slowly appear in the darkroom developing tray is one that I will never forget.

Nope it still stands for me that an image shouldn't get special dispensation because it was taken on a phone. There's plenty of s**t pictures in these forums taken on phones with the wonderful caption underneath 'not bad for a phone pic' which somehow makes it alright... An image should be judged on its merits and not what device was used to capture it.b

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
It's just something different, it's a change, it's a fun way of shooting; it isn't supposed to be a revolution in imagery or even a serious way of taking photos, it's just showing some cool pictures that were taken on a phone and to appreciate the images as they are rather than comparing them to a DSLR shot. This isn't the type of thread where we quote DXO mark figures or any of that vapid information, more just to get back to basics and appreciate a photo for the novelty of it.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Il never make a good photographer :rasp:

aby8apaq.jpg

Last edited:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just a couple I took today for no particular reason and then happened to spot this thread!

A1108337-5E3D-4328-9DF9-B3F19A2CE146-1478-000001730D2B82A7_zpsd82a9491.jpg

23A2C650-86FC-4348-9B62-B43C2AE54052-1478-0000017310A281F4_zps4fe25437.jpg

And this one I just found on the phone from a few months back

C8E7E225-C304-4F04-98DF-2E620B2E0312-1478-00000175443B194D_zps1d305f88.jpg

Last edited: