ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone/samsung/HTC/other phone? (no idea about phones)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I am getting bombarded with calls this week trying to get my business a I am due (on the 14th feb) to replace 5 phone contracts.

I am pretty sure i'll be reducing to 3 but thats by the by at the moment.

The deals i'm getting are pretty good and tbh, they are offering me silly cheap deals! A lot cheaper/more VFM than i'm currently getting but none of them are offering me an i-phone.

Am I missing the point here? I don't particularly want an i-phone as I love my blackberry but the i-phone will be dead handy with the apps it has that I can use in the truck rather than ringing work and getting them to do stuff over the phone (Dealer network stuff)

So, are these other phones just as good or shall I stick to wanting an i-phone??

Cheers.

Polo + Micra
Re: i-phone/samsung/HTC/other phone? (no idea about phones)

you might aswell get it locked now as it is only going one way.:coffee:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

My contract ends on the same day lol. Im going to get an iphone probably. Still rolling with my sony ericson walkman phone atm haha.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

you might aswell get it locked now as it is only going one way.:coffee:

Is it that clear cut is it? I thought as much.

Thats settled that then.

RS6 C7

I'm with 02 business, 3 iPhone for £25 each a month with unlimited everything :), I think someone mentioned something about them dropping the prices after the first year aswell!

Polo + Micra

Is it that clear cut is it? I thought as much.

Thats settled that then.

i wouldn't have an iphone if i was given one but i know how this thread will go

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

Just orderd a iphone 4s tonight, was against iphones until i got the mrs one for crimbo. Miles better than any other phone.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

Yep, MILES better.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Does anyone care to explain their opinions?

Or are we just going to shout one sentence back and forth??

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

I like my iPhone because I've never found another phone which does what it does so well. It's hard to explain because so many other phones on the market can, on paper, do exactly the same. In some cases more. But an iPhone does it in a slick, clean way.

If you can make more use of an iPhone for work, with your dealer stuff then it makes sense to have one. And once you have it you will undoubtedly find a number of other things you can also do which are helpful/useful/just entertaining.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

1. Applications and services: The selection, quality, and design of applications is better on iOS devices. It seems that just about every day I find some fantastic apps for iOS that appear first on this platform and honestly if it wasn’t for all the apps and services I would likely get bored of iOS and move to another platform.
  2. iPhone 4S quality is better: The iPhone 4S is an extremely well built phone with glass, plastic, and metal components. I have gotten used to my Galaxy Nexus, but it still feels a bit cheaper (Samsung Android phones are known for using thin plastics) and side-by-side you can feel the difference.
  3. Apple has Siri and she is good: I am testing out a number of personal assistant applications on my Galaxy Nexus, but nothing can currently compare with the conversational nature of Siri. The ease with which I create reminders and appointments, call and text people, check weather for the places I travel, set alarms, create notes, and search the web has changed dramatically thanks to Siri’s advanced features.
  4. iPhone 4S camera is better: I posted a basic comparison of several shots I took in “typical situations” with the iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus and while the Galaxy Nexus was not as bad as I was led to believe by reading some other sites, the iPhone 4S still performs much better. If taking photos and leaving your point and shoot camera behind is your plan then you will be MUCH happier with the iPhone 4S. I wish Samsung would have used a better camera module, even one just like their Galaxy S II would have been fine.
  5. Galaxy Nexus speaker blows: The speaker on the Galaxy Nexus is basically useless and one of the worst speakers I have ever used on a phone. It is nearly impossible to use it as a speakerphone and forget about listening to music and podcasts without a headset or external speaker. Some have suggested it might be a software issue and I can only hope so since I can’t even use it with such low volume. The speakers on the iPhone 4S are much better and I have no complaints at all.
  6. Galaxy Nexus display is too big: I have medium to large sized hands and even then I can only reach about 50% - 60% of the display with my thumb while holding the device in one hand. With the iPhone 4S I can cover 95% of the display so the Galaxy Nexus is definitely a two-handed device. My buddy Mickey Papillon was quite bothered by this and ended up getting rid of his Galaxy Nexus after about a week.
  7. Android is still complicated: Ice Cream Sandwich is clearly the best version of the Android operating system. It is not perfect and lacks some polish, but there is more cohesiveness than before and more standardization. That said, it is still a rather complex and non-intuitive OS that can be overwhelming for some. I think it is way too much for someone like my mother-in-law and I actually just helped her order her first smartphone, the Apple iPhone 4S.
  8. iPhone 4S is world phone: Unlike the CDMA/LTE only Galaxy Nexus, the iPhone 4S is a CDMA and quad-band GSM/UMTS device. As I detailed before my trip to London it is easy to use the iPhone 4S with an international microSIM card or here on the expansive CDMA Verizon network. The Galaxy Nexus from Verizon is limited to just Verizon here in the U.S. If you are a world traveler, then do what I did and consider the penta-band HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus.
  9. Malware is growing on Android: Last weekend I had a conversation with a woman who owns an Android device and was extremely upset that “the little green man ate all my contacts” and all the data on her phone was wiped. Now, she was drunk at the time so I am not clear if a real green Android character appeared on her phone, but malware is definitely a growing concern (as reported by CNET) on the Android platform.
  10. iOS web browser is better: The web browser in ICS is good and I appreciate the large display for surfing. However, there are some issues with how it handles text on many websites (no changing of settings cures the issue) and there are still some sites that do not render nearly as well as they do on iOS. ICS is also not as smooth as iOS and this is apparent when doing things like surfing the web.

Astra Twintop

It all depends on what your calling the office to do.........

All smartphones do emails
I don't think there's a specific app that tells you where broken down vehicles are!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

It all depends on what your calling the office to do.........

All smartphones do emails
I don't think there's a specific app that tells you where broken down vehicles are!!

i-phones have an app for main dealer sites which Is where I buy my cars from.

Smart ass.

I love my iPhone.

If you send/receive a lot of emails the iPhone is perfect. Use mine for work all the time but is my only work use for it.

Never used an android phone, but used my mums blackberry and I hated it. My iPhone just seemed to do things much slicker and easier.

App store is good, iMessage is good, email is good, camera is ok, not the greatest out there but useable (I have a 4 btw, no doubt the 4s is far better), pretty simple to use imo and my favorite app atm is iBooks.

Downsides are the battery will only last a day if you use it a fair bit and the contacts are more expensive the others (don't know what business rates would be like though).

All in all I wouldn't swap my iPhone for anything else, still just ahead of everything else out there.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

Btw the contract may cost more per month to begin with but I'm now paying £11.50 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb data.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I've been quoted £80 a month for...

3,000 minutes, 1.5 gig data, unltd texts and 3 phones with insurance.

(Thats between all three handsets, not each)

Polo + Micra

1. Applications and services: The selection, quality, and design of applications is better on iOS devices. It seems that just about every day I find some fantastic apps for iOS that appear first on this platform and honestly if it wasn’t for all the apps and services I would likely get bored of iOS and move to another platform.
  2. iPhone 4S quality is better: The iPhone 4S is an extremely well built phone with glass, plastic, and metal components. I have gotten used to my Galaxy Nexus, but it still feels a bit cheaper (Samsung Android phones are known for using thin plastics) and side-by-side you can feel the difference.
  3. Apple has Siri and she is good: I am testing out a number of personal assistant applications on my Galaxy Nexus, but nothing can currently compare with the conversational nature of Siri. The ease with which I create reminders and appointments, call and text people, check weather for the places I travel, set alarms, create notes, and search the web has changed dramatically thanks to Siri’s advanced features.
  4. iPhone 4S camera is better: I posted a basic comparison of several shots I took in “typical situations” with the iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus and while the Galaxy Nexus was not as bad as I was led to believe by reading some other sites, the iPhone 4S still performs much better. If taking photos and leaving your point and shoot camera behind is your plan then you will be MUCH happier with the iPhone 4S. I wish Samsung would have used a better camera module, even one just like their Galaxy S II would have been fine.
  5. Galaxy Nexus speaker blows: The speaker on the Galaxy Nexus is basically useless and one of the worst speakers I have ever used on a phone. It is nearly impossible to use it as a speakerphone and forget about listening to music and podcasts without a headset or external speaker. Some have suggested it might be a software issue and I can only hope so since I can’t even use it with such low volume. The speakers on the iPhone 4S are much better and I have no complaints at all.
  6. Galaxy Nexus display is too big: I have medium to large sized hands and even then I can only reach about 50% - 60% of the display with my thumb while holding the device in one hand. With the iPhone 4S I can cover 95% of the display so the Galaxy Nexus is definitely a two-handed device. My buddy Mickey Papillon was quite bothered by this and ended up getting rid of his Galaxy Nexus after about a week.
  7. Android is still complicated: Ice Cream Sandwich is clearly the best version of the Android operating system. It is not perfect and lacks some polish, but there is more cohesiveness than before and more standardization. That said, it is still a rather complex and non-intuitive OS that can be overwhelming for some. I think it is way too much for someone like my mother-in-law and I actually just helped her order her first smartphone, the Apple iPhone 4S.
  8. iPhone 4S is world phone: Unlike the CDMA/LTE only Galaxy Nexus, the iPhone 4S is a CDMA and quad-band GSM/UMTS device. As I detailed before my trip to London it is easy to use the iPhone 4S with an international microSIM card or here on the expansive CDMA Verizon network. The Galaxy Nexus from Verizon is limited to just Verizon here in the U.S. If you are a world traveler, then do what I did and consider the penta-band HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus.
  9. Malware is growing on Android: Last weekend I had a conversation with a woman who owns an Android device and was extremely upset that “the little green man ate all my contacts” and all the data on her phone was wiped. Now, she was drunk at the time so I am not clear if a real green Android character appeared on her phone, but malware is definitely a growing concern (as reported by CNET) on the Android platform.
  10. iOS web browser is better: The web browser in ICS is good and I appreciate the large display for surfing. However, there are some issues with how it handles text on many websites (no changing of settings cures the issue) and there are still some sites that do not render nearly as well as they do on iOS. ICS is also not as smooth as iOS and this is apparent when doing things like surfing the web.

nice cut and paste of someones opinion

and we all know opinions are like belly buttons

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

And the handsets for free? Doesn't sound a bad deal at all. Once out of contract if you call it would probably drop more too.

Try and get them to bump up the data usage to 1gb at least per phone. I use nearly all my 500gb limit and I'm connected to wifi 60/70% of the time.

If your out on the road a lot and using the Internet you might find 500gb isn't enough.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I hated touch screen phones and I had nokias and samsungs for years.

August 2010 I had a do with orange after my millionth Nokia handset broke / fell to bits / exploded so I did some research into smart phones and I went for the iPhone 4 a couple of weeks of it being released.

I can honestly say this phone changed my life, I never knew what all the hype was about until I started using the phone and got to grips with its features. Here is why;

It's so easy to use, very simple and straight forward.

It does what a phone should do, ring people and text.

Safari and having google on hand no matter where you are Is priceless. (I am aware other smart phones can do this too but I have little experience with them)

I no longer have a sat nav, I use my phone. I can also make and receive calls whilst using the tom tom app.

If I want to know the weather, I use my iPhone

If I want to find a location, items, suppliers etc I use my iPhone (very handy if you are like me and always out and about)

If I want to listen to music, I use my iPhone.

If I want to go on a forum, I use my iPhone.

If I want to send or receive emails whilst I am out I use my iPhone.

I have no experience really with the android phones but after having an iPhone 4 for about 16 months I can tell you that it's ideal of you need one device that does everything and is very easy to use.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...

Daniel - i've just got a Samsung Nexus - and it's a crack bit of kit. Aint small, but compared to the HTC HD2 I just got rid of, it's a shed load better, faster, clearer and lighter. As said though, it aint small.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

iPod for the drives as well, Daniel.

That was another question I had.

My ipod is in my truck through the usb port on the stereo. I'm assuming if all my music was on the phone I could just plug that in?

Also, my wifes phone (iphone 3gs) is registered on my itunes account. Is it possible that if I got one I could also register the new phone to the same account?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

im getting a htc sensation xe with beats audio. but i know f**k all about phones. i just use it to ring for kebabs, sat nav once in a while, textin me bird, playing angry birds and listening to tunes.
i f**kin hate itunes and not a fan of iphone's weight and poncey image (iphones to me are in the same league as people who wear blazers/jackets on nights out, audi TT's, mini coopers, people who work in 'property' and 'recruitment' and those who go for 'catch ups' in starbucks).

but as i said, i know F all about phones so what a pointless post. i personally like the nokia 6310 with the handy flashlight.

HOPE THIS HELPS