ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone on old school Mac?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, Basically my dad is as old school as they come. A Huge Apple fan right from the Apple II. He was in Graphic design from the early 80s, so worked with Apple right up until the release of the first "iMac", but then changed career...

Up until this morning, his choice of phone was an original N95 on Pay As You Go. He could easily survive on £40 of top ups a year. However, when I got my 4S, he was astonished by it (the main thing that he liked was the way it was packaged and boxed :S), so I suggested he get an iPhone.

Obviously a 4S costs more a month than he uses a year, So I opted for a 3GS on the £15 a month tarrif from T-Mobile.

It came this morning, and he wants me to set it up, no problem I thought...

Amongst all the original Macs, PowerMacs, G3's etc, littering the spare room, the latest Mac he has is this one

how-to-take-apart-an-imac-g3-2.jpg

Now this one has his iTunes account with all his music on, which he uses for his iPod. However, I cant get the iPhone to work on it? Its saying I need iTunes 10, which I've downloaded, but wont work on his OS?

Now obviously, iTunes on this computer (my main PC) is used for my 4S, So what can I do? I Cant run 2 copies on this one PC Can I?

And he has 6gb of music on his Mac, which is ripped from CD to iTunes, so its not like I can re download through I-Tunes?

Ideas?

Thanks

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Needs to be running leopard. Which shouldnt be a huge strech. These run tiger fine.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
You can run more than one phone though iTunes, but you have to enable disk use on the phone, which means it doesn't auto sync music, you will have to drag the music across to the phone icon, also couldn't you just get a slightly news os for his iMac ?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
You can run more than one phone though iTunes, but you have to enable disk use on the phone, which means it doesn't auto sync music, you will have to drag the music across to the phone icon, also couldn't you just get a slightly news os for his iMac ?

The OS thing seems a bit of an issue, we arent too good at stuff like this, and he has a heck of alot of expensive Programs on there which I doubt he still has discs for lol

I never set things to Sync, I despise syncing, drag and drop FTW

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Theres no way to do it on that mac without an OS upgrade.

You can run near unlimited iphones with one itunes account/pc/mac. So thats your solution.
Obviously you need to tweak how the phones sync. But if you do that you can give your dad apps that you have purchased for no extra cost.

Simply transfer his music to your PC, create a playlist called "dads music" and sync that playlist with the 3GS

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Isn't creating a new library easier than manually trying to keep each others music separate?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Theres no way to do it on that mac without an OS upgrade.

You can run near unlimited iphones with one itunes account/pc/mac. So thats your solution.
Obviously you need to tweak how the phones sync. But if you do that you can give your dad apps that you have purchased for no extra cost.

Simply transfer his music to your PC, create a playlist called "dads music" and sync that playlist with the 3GS

Im going to do it on the laptop, forgot i had one lol, just installing i tunes now on it.

How would I transfer the music to this laptop from his Mac??

Thanks

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I was running my work and personal iPhone off the same iTunes, not a big deal at all. The alternative if you want an entirely independently set up phone is to create a new username and use the iTunes on there for your old mans phone.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Thanks guys,

Im now going to use my laptop (which is only used for browsing the web in bed, Ill prob give this to my dad and buy an iPad 2 however eventually)

Im now installing iTunes on the laptop, and set up his phone, to a new iTunes account on this laptop.

Only issue is getting the 6gb of music off his Mac to this laptop....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You can either use a usb drive to move them (simplest)

Or do it via networking (quicker transfer but harder to set up)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Actuallly, the majority of the music he wants is on is ipod, anyway of plugging that into this laptop and getting it that way?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Probably not, if its an older ipod its probably formatted to work with macs. You can try.

I really need to sell my G5 and replace it soon, been putting it off but being stuck with Tiger unable to sync/update my phone is a royal pain in the ass.

Put leopard on it, makes it easier to shift.

Think last time I looked Apple only listed snow leopard and from memory I'd read something along the lines of a Power PC mac needed to have Leopard first or simply couldn't run snow Leopard. Unless I misread.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
My mate said Leopard is really cheap to buy, and showed it me on his 4S on an App called the Apple Store? I think it was like £26?

How would I go about putting it on my dads Mac, would I have to back everything up?