ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 3G update / jailbreak

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
after some knowledge if possible, i looked at the guide above but was no clearer (guides been deleted and there is just 2 links).

I am trying to sort the GF's iPhone 3G, she was kindly donated it so it is free of any Apps. however we cannot upload any apps to it, i take it this is because of it currently running 4.2.1? If this is the case would jailbreaking it be the answer?

If so, what is the best way to go about this?

Bus w**ker
Boner are you basically saying you want to reset it to factory settings, a clean phone? If so just plug it in to iTunes and update it, because its not registered to your iTunes it'll be wiped.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
How are you trying to load apps and more importantly, where did you get them from?

by using the phone and the app store, we are talking basic apps such as Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, for a start it won't let me download fb, stating that it needs to be IOS 4.3

Boner are you basically saying you want to reset it to factory settings, a clean phone? If so just plug it in to iTunes and update it, because its not registered to your iTunes it'll be wiped.

nope, not saying that Symon...
otherwise i would of done that...lol

i THINK i need to update the IOS so i can download these apps, and from what i gather the only way to do this on a 3G is to jailbreak it???

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's telling you what's wrong, you're using old firmware.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oh ok, you never mentioned that. Dunno then, could try reseting the phone through the settings on it, but not sure if thats and option on older IOSs

I would say revert back to an old IOS which makes it work well enough to play music, then just use it as an iPod touch. The 3G is now useless as a smartphone because of all the resource hungry apps (speaking from experience here).

I would get your girlfriend to buy a new phone, or if you are feeling generous, buy one for her.

Good luck.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
f*ck, glad we got somewhere near an answer in the end, the above was my thoughts, however if it could be easily jailbroken why not,

i take it jailbreaking it will not work then?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No because you phone is old and unsupported.

Its like trying to put a DVD in a VHS player. Theres no real way to get round it other than updating the hardware to something that is supported (3GS minimum, but be aware that will also be dropped next year, if not sooner)

Jailbreaking won't allow third party app support when the OS is old.

There is one other way but its complicated to say the least, you'd need to find the older versions of the apps you want that were compatible. But for some services there won't be any because they were written for iOS after 4.2.1.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I've got an old 3GS for sale if your interested mate. The mute button on the side is a bit temperamental but other than that it works fine. its yours for £60 if you want it.