ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Mini

LY 182
No we won't.
The fact remains the mini is an iPad for people who can't afford a proper one.
The Boxter of the iPad world shall we say.

(Apart possibly a few people who want a slightly smaller one for whatever reason)

It's pretty pathetic how you constantly come in this thread and slate a product you don't have.

Mercedes
After having used both now extensively, I much prefer the mini over the full one. Yes the screen isnt quite as sharp but for something to hold and use daily it is amazing.

133/225/CLS AMG
The fact remains the mini is an iPad for people who can't afford a proper one.

It's £60 different going from a 16gb iPad Mini to a 16gb iPad 2. I'm pretty sure that if people really wanted the larger version they'd manage to scrape that vast difference in price together. ;)

The iPad Mini is a good idea and makes the iPad even more portable, perfectly suited to carrying in a bag to work or for taking on holiday. I wouldn't mind going for a mini maybe next year but I'd still use my iPad at home as it's got a bigger screen, the Mini would come on my daily commute.

I think price is less relevant than you think.

Brilliant, I'll keep calling it the iPad large if it really makes people that angry!

Can't afford an iPad, now people really are coming out with some stupid comments, I hear DSLR cameras are for peasants who can't afford medium format.

So pretty much everyone that owns both, prefer the mini? Anyway, we're talking about fricking tablets, some people like the little one, don't spit out your dummies.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Brilliant, I'll keep calling it the iPad large if it really makes people that angry!

Can't afford an iPad, now people really are coming out with some stupid comments, I hear DSLR cameras are for peasants who can't afford medium format.

So pretty much everyone that owns both, prefer the mini? Anyway, we're talking about fricking tablets, some people like the little one, don't spit out your dummies.

Yup!

Hang on. Some people from The Internet who own both, prefer the iPad Mini, and therefore that's pretty much everyone? Lol.

People can bum the Mini all they like, but the fact remains that the screen looks rubbish compared to the real iPad. Anyone who denies this is either blind or doesn't in fact have both devices.

LY 182
DOn't need one to have an opinion but thanks anyway.

For sure everybody is entitled to an opinion. I just don't see the need for you to constantly slate it and suggest it's for poor people.

Perhaps I'm just jealous that you're clearly a big shot and wipe your arse with £50 notes.

I haven't slated it at all. Not once have I said it's a s**t product. I've said it's a smaller ipad made with old parts.....which is a fact.

It's also a fact that Apple have made this product to fill a gap in the market, for the smaller and CHEAPER tablet products.

Granted, me saying it's for poorer people is an opinion, but everything else is a fact.

DB.

BMW 440i
From another angle, if a very attractive girl said it's easier to hold a d*ck when it's smaller, does that make it better?

LY 182
I haven't slated it at all. Not once have I said it's a s**t product. I've said it's a smaller ipad made with old parts.....which is a fact.

It's also a fact that Apple have made this product to fill a gap in the market, for the smaller and CHEAPER tablet products.

Granted, me saying it's for poorer people is an opinion, but everything else is a fact.

Agreed that they've filled a gap in the market. But it's not exactly a cheap product. It still comes with an Apple premium. I'd hate to imagine your views on people who have purchased a Nexus 7.

I just find your points focus too much on negative aspects. If you have one you realise how insanely light it is and how many people (even at home) will prefer it to the full size iPad.

Will you be buying a mini when it goes retina? Given you travel a lot I'd have thought it would be perfect for somebody like you.

I must say I have considered it. As you say, it would be a great travel companion......BUT....I don't think I would ever say that the normal ipad is too big. On planes etc getting my MBP out is sometimes a bit of a pain, but a normal ipad would be fine. PERSONALLY.....I just cannot see when I would ever think I need a smaller ipad, even if it has all the bells and whistles of the full spec ipad.

DB.

BMW 440i
It's not the size, it's how you use it - is the phrase aint it ;)

Making both arguments irrelevant so everyone can shut up? lol

I must say I have considered it. As you say, it would be a great travel companion......BUT....I don't think I would ever say that the normal ipad is too big. On planes etc getting my MBP out is sometimes a bit of a pain, but a normal ipad would be fine. PERSONALLY.....I just cannot see when I would ever think I need a smaller ipad, even if it has all the bells and whistles of the full spec ipad.

This was one of my main reasons behind going for the iPad Large, that, the better screen, and the fact that the only thing that actually drew me to the Mini, was the slate black back and the lack of surrounding on the front.

As Jeremy Clarkson would say, bigger is better.

This is a genuine question, not trolling!:

If price wasn't a factor, why would you go for a mini over a normal ipad (4)? In what situations would you benefit from the smaller one?

DB.

BMW 440i
1) Commuting via Train
2) Back in slate, as opposed to Silver, looks better.
3) Less around the edge of the screen

Those were my only arguments for when considering one.

iPad Large however.

1) Faster
2) Better Screen
3) Bigger Screen
4) Better on a plane/at home/everywhere else other than if communiting.

The main reason for me is the ease of carrying the Mini as well as my MBP in uni, MBP if I need to type a lot, iPad for viewing presentations, making quick notes.

I genuinely think the Mini looks so much better and more revolutionary compared to the 4 as well, which hasn't really changed since the first iPad visually.

One of my other reasons for going for the mini over the full size is so that when I inevitably drop it on my face in bed, it will make less of a mark.

LY 182

If price wasn't a factor, why would you go for a mini over a normal ipad (4)? In what situations would you benefit from the smaller one?

From January I'll be commuting to London via train so that was the key deciding factor. If I was just for use at home I'd have gone for the 4.

I do however think it's quite a hard argument to have. If you have had the full iPad (3rd or 4th generation) you have the big sexy screen and the extra processing power so the mini does seem a step back. If you're new to the iPad world though, a mini is a very good option. Whilst the specs are technically old, it feels very fast and responsive. The screen isn't great as I have previously said, but it's more than usable.

Ill seriously consider a mini when it gets a better screen.
I wonder if the next "large ipad" will follow the mini's layout with thinner bezels and a flat slate back?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

I just prefer the mini tbh. I did go into the Apple shop on mini & 4 launch weekend to buy the 4 but after seeing the mini I was sold.

The only time I use our "big iPad" now is when I'm charging the mini (Which isnt very often as the battery lasts forever).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why would you sit in the house on the couch or whatever looking at a smaller screen, if you're in the house size isn't really much of an issue. That's like using your phone and having an iPad sitting.

Clio 172
All to do with weight for me, once you have used a mini for a while in the real world you would understand.

To be honest, it wasn't the weight that took me back when I used my mates, at all. Infact, while I'm sitting here in my ipad, I can't say I want something lighter. Infact, I'm seriously eyeing up ipad with retina.

Clio 172
I wonder if the next "large ipad" will follow the mini's layout with thinner bezels and a flat slate back?

I hope they do, the "full screen" look looks lovely, as well as the slate black

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

I'd put money on it mate.

I'll keep my 3 until the 5 is released.

Price was never an issue, infact I got a 32GB mini! Form factor basically, can you hold an iPad at eye level and play need for speed for hours or veg on the sofa and hold it above your head without the fear of breaking your nose?

I'm not bothered about having the latest chipset, it's more than fast enough. It'll be better on the move and if I want to watch movies at home, I'll use my tele. IMO the screen is plenty big enough for sofa surfing and being lighter I find the gaming experience much more engaging when it comes to motion sensitive play.

Surely the right answer is to have both? ;)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
16gb sold out!!! Pita

I think this close to Christmas you're never gonna pick one up in store now. Order online as Apples delivery times are very accurate so you should get it delivered in 2 weeks if you order now.

Clio 172
I think this close to Christmas you're never gonna pick one up in store now. Order online as Apples delivery times are very accurate so you should get it delivered in 2 weeks if you order now.

I'm hoping so as I wana order one this week

Ben182

ClioSport Club Member
  X3
trying to get hold of a 16GB for my mum. needs to be small enough to fit in her handbag and replacing the palm thing she's been using. Can't find one anywhere, apple are saying delivery would be 31 december!

Just had this pikey sleeve case delivered:
D65C26F3-7D39-4AB5-B8E2-18F3E523A6FB-7322-000009FCB910F4CF.jpg

Good quality for £2.50.

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered a ipad mini for the mrs yesterday. She wanted it for christmas. Est delivery date - 31st December. I'm in trouble..haha