ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interpreting airbag fault codes

Ph1 & Ph2 172, RS225
I recently bought a Phase 1 172 which has airbag and serv lights constantly on. I tried playing around with the functions under the seats to no avail. I also tried fitting a resistor in the steering wheel connection with no luck. I decided I'd get the local Renault dealer to connect it to CLIP to get some more information. They don't seem too handy down there, and all they could tell me is " looks like someone's probably buggerised with the computer... we'd have to spend a few hours looking at the computer to fix it". I don't really have much faith in leaving the diagnosis/repair in their hands, so wondering if anyone can help me interpret these faults? I THINK they were able to clear the top 4, but not the bottom 4. I've since connected the car to RSTuner which displayed no faults. I don't know if the car has been in an accident, but I don't think so. The car has had an aftermarket steering wheel fitted in the past; original is on now. The car came with a spare airbag ecu; I tried fitting this to no avail.

Here's a pic of the fault codes they found:
5b77a395d5ca5f687e17777f30253250.jpg

172 Ph1
I suggest you use 3.3Ohm resistors and put them into all of the air bag connectors one at a time and then locating the problem are once the lamp goes off . Use the tuner to clear codes and then test again .
You'll need several resistors , all cheap as chips from EBay or Maplins

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd advise you slightly differently as I hate resistor mods.

Personally, I'd say start with a proper diagnostic and see what can be cleared, which will leave you with a list of what actually needs dealing with. The above list doesn't state which codes are "Present" or which are "Historic" so i've no way of knowing what is actually an issue. The one that is worrying if "DF001 - Computer" as this could indicate the unit is locked due to an impact (Note the DF035) or it could simply mean it is not reporting in on the CAN Network (due to theDF002 indicating no power ((or earth)).

It really does need further investigation from someone with a clue as to how the SRS actually works on the vehicle as bodging it rarely succeeds in my experience.

Mick

172 Ph1
I'd advise you slightly differently as I hate resistor mods.

Personally, I'd say start with a proper diagnostic and see what can be cleared, which will leave you with a list of what actually needs dealing with. The above list doesn't state which codes are "Present" or which are "Historic" so i've no way of knowing what is actually an issue. The one that is worrying if "DF001 - Computer" as this could indicate the unit is locked due to an impact (Note the DF035) or it could simply mean it is not reporting in on the CAN Network (due to theDF002 indicating no power ((or earth)).

It really does need further investigation from someone with a clue as to how the SRS actually works on the vehicle as bodging it rarely succeeds in my experience.

Mick

I agree with you totally Mick with what you have said .
What I find ironic is that when I was working for Renault many moons ago , the resistors were part of the diagnosis kit . Lol [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. How things have moved on. [emoji2]

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah, they're fine in the hands of people that know what they're doing BUT not everyone has common sense. I also hate the way people just push them in place and give no thought to the metal area they will live in.

We had one guy who kept F'n around outside and got a small shock whilst "inserting" resistors. He refused to believe he had in fact just triggered the drivers airbag lines 1 and 2 because "No airbags went off mate"

Renault Clio 182
Just cut and solder both airbag connectors firstly..... Then as above get it read on clip (Renault diagnostic) and see what permanent. You won't be just to plug the airbag ecu in as this is coded to the vehicle, using diag above.

172 Ph1, Meg GT220
Epic thread bump - sorry! I am now the owner of this car
Up until a few weeks ago, the airbag light was still an issue. An auto electrician diagnosed that the drivers seat wiring was stuffed so he hardwired it and created a slightly longer loom piece with proper sheathing. I doubt I’d need to take the seats out so not concerned :)

would be great to talk to the previous owner as there are some oddities about the car I’d like to know about :)