ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet Through a Power Socket

Clio V6
Is anyone rocking these things that enable a wired connection through a power socket? Reviews look good and hopefully will provide more reliable streaming to my TV.

FF Clio 182
Yeah got a set of TP Link 500MBps Home plugs for about £40. Just plug them in and away you go. Run them from my router downstairs to my access point upstairs. As long as your house does not have old school cable and its all on the same breaker then you will have no problems.

I'm not but my uncle has one from router to humax freesat hd box for iplayer steaming which is pretty good. They need to be on the same breaker though and also it's best to plug them directly into the wall (no extension leads) if possible

Yeah I've got 4, got them as my wireless router was garbage.

Don't use them now though, which is a bit of a shame.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So if you have a downstairs ring and an upstairs ring these are pointless for sending a signal upstairs?

FF Clio 182
So if you have a downstairs ring and an upstairs ring these are pointless for sending a signal upstairs?

No they will work fine just has to be on the same trip box. My upstairs and downstairs are on different ring mains and it works fine

Last edited:
  S4 Avant
We've got them all round the house. 3 stories and metre thick walls don't work well with wireless signals.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Still havent got a clue how these work! Internet through wires with electric running through them??

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
You mean you don't live in a castle?

...it's part of a 300 year old mill. No such thing as cavity wall insulation back then ;)
More like a mud hut. Sounds very Grand Designs esque!

OT I use the plugs for my pc upstairs, no issues.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've used them for years, work faultlessly, I recently upgraded to D-Link Gigabit items.

Clio V6
Thanks guys, we're in a new build so should be ok. Plugs right by the router and TV.

Didn't think we'd need them as running 30mbps but Netflix films keep stoping 1/2 times per film.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Thanks guys, we're in a new build so should be ok. Plugs right by the router and TV.

Didn't think we'd need them as running 30mbps but Netflix films keep stoping 1/2 times per film.

If your broadband is quicker than 30mbit/sec you will need faster ones to cope.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
These work well in almost all homes for all internet and network applications. I have a pair of gigabit Netgear Powerlines. One in front room downstairs by router. One upstairs in bedroom which is connected to a 1gig 8 port switch. Never see network issues or struggle with speed.

I have these ones but they are quite difficult to find - http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAV5001.aspx Mine were given to me direct from Netgear for beta testing.

People saying the rooms/plugs need to be on the same breaker are giving false information through lack of knowledge. As long as the rooms electrical ring are connected to the same fuseboard these will work.