ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet in a flat/apartment - slow as s**t.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Aunt and Uncle moved into their apartment about 5 years ago. They've got broadband from BT but it's still hovering about the 1MB mark. He nearly swung for me when I told him my 100MB is going up to 120 soon lol :eek:

I don't personally know how they haven't gone utterly batsh*t at BT yet, but I think that there must be an issue with too many homes sharing the same line or something ?! They've got their own bill and do not actually share anything with anyone.

Has anyone ever had a similar issue ?!

They're in a block of about 12 (3 stories x 4 wide) posh apartments so not exactly high-rise sharing...

Thoughts/suggestions etc..?

Ta

:evil:

koi

Audi S1
1mb is that even broadband lol

I'm in a block of 12 and get ~18mb, which is good for up here.

sport 182
They won't be sharing broadband between their apartments they will each have their own line. There can be a lot of factors to slow broadband. Cable length and quality, internal wiring new builds often have awful wiring fitted by builders.

There are a few website that can give a rough figure to what speed you should be able to get depending where you are.

Clio 197 F1
Have you checked to see what sort of speeds the line can actually handle? Put the postcode into the link below (baring in mind the speed this quotes is very conservative).

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/A...service provider&VERSION=35&MS=E&CAP=no&AEA=Y

The biggest factor that affects broadband speed is the distance from the telephone exchange so not much anyone can do about that. However if their speed is well off what is quoted above then get on the phone to BT.

Also being in a flat/apartment should make no difference. Unless they are using wireless and it's wireless interference causing the problem in which case plugging in an Ethernet cable and re testing will prove if this is the case or not.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's 1 computer next to the router, wired in.

You can enjoy BT Broadband now. BT Infinity isn't currently available to you

You can choose BT Broadband now offering:2Mb *

Estimate download speed 1Mb-3.5Mb

Ouch :( I guess they're stuffed then....

It's painfully PAINFULLY slow.

172 cup
Broadband in my missus block of flats is terrible. Had the engineer out and he said was the line in the building, it's painfully slow. Was getting just over 1mb and the upload speed was 0.3mb

I'm currently with btinfinty 40 meg all day long and a upload of 15meg