ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Starting Problem

Clio 172
I've just driven over 100 miles in my 172, stopped to fill up with fuel and the engine won't turn over. This started happening for the first time on Friday, was fine before that.

The car has a cut out switch fitted which will kill all the electrical power. At first I thought I'd partially knocked the switch - I had electrical power but I just heard a click from the glove box area when I tried to start the car. I turned off the the cut out switch, back on again and it started straight away. Similar yesterday. In the garage tonight turning the switch off and on several times didn't resolve the problem. Then the starter kicked on another attempt and the engine started straight away. Drove it home and the car has started no problem several times. It's not a flat battery but a connection somewhere.

I'll check the cut out switch first as that seemed to fix the problem at first, maybe it's failing internally. Any other thoughts on what it might be? I'll check the fuse on the positive battery terminal as mentioned in another thread. I'd like to get this resolved rapidly as I'm out competing in the first roumd of the National Autosolo Championship next Sunday and I want the car to be 100%.