ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

intermittent gear selection issue ph 172

172 Phase 2
Hi all,

Ive got a 172 ph2 02 plate recently it struggles to select gears intermittent fault, Before posting ive changed obvious bits etc, dogbone has black series mounts fitted, vibra technic top gearbox mount, vibra technic engine mount, overal im very impressed with these, transformed the car!..

Selecting gears has improved, but sometimes reverse will select lovely then other time grind like hell, if im giving it a boot full at high revs it doesnt select untill the revs drop down and this still isnt the smoothest gearchange, other times i can be coming into a roundabout trying to drop a gear and it will lock me out and wont let me select any, and if it does its harsh and clunky. So i got a mix of very smooth changes to clunky changes. not often but if its having a episode of playing up i could be stationary in first with clutch down and the cars vibrating and dropping revs as if im letting off the clutch.

Ive ordered a clutch cable genuine from renault as i here the mickey mouse ones are dogsh*t. im also running a carbon kevlar paddle clutch cause this have stretched my cable? or could my cable be sticking?.. I cant see how it can be so intermittent? Does is sound like the gear linkages need adjusting?

Any help is much appreciated! Id like to think i wont be having to change the clutch or box :p !

MK2 PH2 172 Cup
I have a similar problem... Under high revs, and just random lockouts, my car is completely standard but with intent to modify in the future once serviced and fixed niggly bits would like to know why this is myself ph2 172

Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox?

Knowing what these cars are like for oil leaks I would say it is worth checking.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You have a paddle clutch, can I ask why? I've had one on a high powered evo, pain in the ass. Wouldn't even consider it on a clio unless charged etc. as said try an oil change