ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermitten starting problem!

Clio 172
Hi Guys,

Basically i've had my clio less than a week and i'm already having problems! :( I love this car to bits but 4 times now its failed to start. I've seen many threads on google saying this and that regarding my problem so i wanted to clear this up and maybe with a little direction fix it myself!

Essentially what happens is when i turn my key, everything appears fine but with the final turn you get no turn over. This happened couple days ago, after 10mins of trying it was fine. Then today its happened again whilst being sat at work. After an hour of trying and beating about in the engine around the battery/fuse box she started.

I've got her home now. fiddled about again and its not starting again. any suggestions. Just had it Mot'd it passed!

Titanium 182 FF
Sounds very much like Crankshaft Position Sensor. Would be a sensible first port of call anyway. Mine would crank but not start, until I removed the key and tried again several times. I also experienced random cutting out at low speeds. I took the sensor out, gave it a good clean with Electrical contact cleaner and it's been fine ever since.

Hi, i'd try your spare key first (if its not turning over), but yes other than that, if it is turning over fine but not starting the crankshaft sensor is definitely worth a clean, ive just done mine with the same problems, also it only has these effects when the hot weather comes out so ive been told

Clio 172
It won't turn over. I believe its a sticky point on the starter motor. Its started last night after work and this morning before work -.- had to get a lift in yesterday!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
It could be a dirty exciter wire connection on the starter motor. Its a spade connector so pulling it off and pushing it on may clean it up and cure your starting issues. That's what I did to mine anyway when it failed to turn over.

LY FF182
Also check the starter motor relay, there's 3 the same next to each other in the fusebox and think its the middle one for starter. Mine did it today. Ones fuel, ones starter and the other I don't actually know but I put the broken relay on it and it didn't seem to make a difference to anything!

Clio 172
Checked the relays two days ago. took them all out. Cleaned them all. no corrosion on them as it is anyway. Started this morning, got to work and i had to bump start it on way home! good job its a sunday and the industrial estates empty! Booked it in monday morning at a local garage, probably going to replace the start motor.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I had this happen on mine quite a few times and couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Since I replaced my battery it hasn't happened once. Not sure if just a coincidence though.

LY FF182
Is the exhaust heat shield fitted? That could burning the starter motor. Did you check the relays actually click over, mine does it quite often and the terminals on it are fine

Clio 172
Yeah they click over. My mate whose a manager at the local garage just checked it over at work. Needs a new starter motor. £190 Inc labour. Insurance next month!

Seat Leon TDI
Sounds very much like Crankshaft Position Sensor. Would be a sensible first port of call anyway. Mine would crank but not start, until I removed the key and tried again several times. I also experienced random cutting out at low speeds. I took the sensor out, gave it a good clean with Electrical contact cleaner and it's been fine ever since.

Just had a similar issue with my Seat Leon (which i traded in for my Renault Clio 197).
Car started fine from cold, but if you had driven it, it sometimes took 6-7 turns to fire up.
Ended up costing me about £270 to have the cam position sensor replaced (bear in mind this was on a Seat not a Renault).

Clio 172
Update. Got it back from garage. Take it for a spin... Park up go to start it. Dead again. Starting to get frustrated with this. Burning a whole in my pocket! Spent nearly £1000 in a month! New starter motor is clearly not it!

Power supply ? Im haveing starting problems myself changed starter motor still wont start by key could u point me in the direction of power supply

182 sport & cooper S
He probably means the exciter wire of the starter solenoid, a small either red or blue wire with a spade connector on it as the other battery cable is bolted on. hope this helps

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Also check the starter motor relay, there's 3 the same next to each other in the fusebox and think its the middle one for starter. Mine did it today. Ones fuel, ones starter and the other I don't actually know but I put the broken relay on it and it didn't seem to make a difference to anything!

I am sure it will be this. Often is and was the fault with mine. Regardless of ow they look the starter relay can become "sticky". I used ot have to take mine out and tap it against something then it would fire first time. The relay looked brand new on the outside.