ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior painting advice please

Now Sold :-(
As per title

recently got me a nice Inferno 182ff and am very happy with it apart from the gear stick insert that has worn to the point where at least a third of it is down to the base plastic. Think it really lets the otherwise mint interior down.
Now I'm no painter but am happy to have a go at anything once before paying out for someone to fix it. I've made a start and have got a nice smooth base coat on so am hoping to put the colour coat on at some point tomorrow.
Now the question..... After putting a few coats of the colour on should I give it a light sanding before putting the new decal on and clear coating or just put the decal straight on top of the fresh paint?

thanks in advance and happy new year !!!!!!

Iceberg Ph1
Hey mate.. Happy New Year..

Now.. I'm no pro myself but I have got some pretty good DIY bits done myself, one of which being my Engine Cover with the 2L 16V Logo.. After I had primed and sprayed my piece I aloud it to dry (over night), and then stuck the decal onto the paint and basically lacquered over the entire cover, gave a pretty decent finish.. You shouldn't need to sand down the top coat of paint if the primer was flattened (sanded smooth) beforehand and I don't recommend you do because it can dull the colour.. This worked for me and I know many others do the same.. Hope it turns out well and post up some pics of when its done.. ;)

Darren

Edit: The oil cap cover I did the same way I explained above...

P1010622.jpg

Last edited:
  E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
like darren i didnt sand the final coat of paint i just let it dry, put the stickers on and then put a couple of coats of lacquer on top

DSCF1624rrr.gif

DSCF1629.gif

All finished and came out OK. Not totally happy with the finish on the clear coat and suspect it may be because the first coat was a bit too thin but it's a million times better than the original worn one.

Picture of the finished article. Looks much darker in the picture than in the flesh.

DSC02896.gif

Will post up some pictures of it in the car after I give it a clean and install it later.

Last edited:
  Honda & VW
personally after recently experiencing DIY spraying etc i have found that you need it to appear like water, i did find it tricky trying to find the right point between being to thin and it all running. but when you get it right it looks brilliant.

let me know if you're getting some new decals as i need a set too.

Cheers YB

As I said not 100% happy but it is far better than the worn original. Will see how it looks in the car.