ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring 1 car on 2 policies

RB 182
My MR2 is going to the body shop for a few weeks and while its gone my mum has said I can use her old merc.

She has the merc insured but her insurance company wont cover me as I’m under 25.

My insurance company have said they can add it as a temporary car to my policy for £48 a month but in order to do this it cant be insured elsewhere. (don’t really know why)

My question is, is it OK if I get my mum to put her insurance on hold while im using the car, or would she have to cancel it altogether?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

S4 Avant
If her insurance won't cover you third party, they won't cover you.

Pointless asking your mum to cancel her insurance just for you, cus thats f**king her over with cancelation fees.

RB 182
If her insurance won't cover you third party, they won't cover you.

Pointless asking your mum to cancel her insurance just for you, cus thats f**king her over with cancelation fees.

Sorry i dont really get you. Her insurance wont cover me 3rd party but i said i can add her car to my policy.

The point of this thread is to find out if i can get away with insuring it without her having to cancel her policy and incurring the fees / ballache. I know i can insure it, just not sure if it can be insured by her aswell / put on hold.

172 sport
hi mate the problem you have from a insurance view is that if the car is dual insured their is the fraud element which means you could cliam for damages also your mum could and also something that i found out if a car is dual insured the insurances to cancel each other out showing up on the anpr camera's as uninsured veichle only way around it sadly is for mum to cancel take a new policy where you can go down as a temop driver or it is on the bus until the mr2 is sorted.

Clio 182
Just phone your mums company up and explain your situation. if there a reputable company then I'm sure they won't mind the fact that you need to cancel it if you will be rejoining them. One of the reason they have the frees is to try and make you think twice about cancelling your policy.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
If your mum cancels her policy then its going to cost her cancelltion fees plus she will lose out on gaining this years no claims bonus.