ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance - What would you do?

Having an arguement with Mum about this.

My and my mum both share a car. Atm, I am a named driver on her policy because I was getting ridiculous quotes when I had just passed my test.

Renewal time has come and I have been driving more than a year now.

Renew on my mums policy is £550
Switch to my own policy with mum as named driver - £650, so there is a £100 difference.

Mum says theres no point going on my own so I should just save the £100, but the way I see it, she is gaining all the no claims when she doesn't really need them and I'm getting nothing.

If i go on my own, I'll have a years no claims and be 19 next year, if not, I'll still get the stupid quotes next year.

What should I do?

tell her to see the bigger picture...you will get that £100 next year, and the year after and the year after if you go alone and start getting NCB...

Arn't mums great LOL!!

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
ur mum isnt getting any more NCB for you being on there.

There are some insurance companies who will count you being a named drivers as NCBs

It's also called fronting & insurers don't like it. They could void your policy.

Best to insure it in your own name and earn NCB as has been suggested.

Not fronting though, We both use it equally, she uses it to go to work during the day when im at Uni, then I use it to get to work at night

"Navy" N17 TWO
Take your own policy mate - I've always said that to anyone taking their 1st insurance or as soon as they can afford to do it :)

MR2 Mk1.5
Not fronting though, We both use it equally, she uses it to go to work during the day when im at Uni, then I use it to get to work at night

Yes you are right, two family members can indeed share a car. The only reason it would cause a problem is if your mother had another car which she owned.

MR2 Mk1.5

In the event of a claim and if the insurer suspects foul play, they will investigate. They have investigators who are very well trained to spot things which aren't right. If the suspect a 'fronted' policy, they will look for certain things (eg son has car, mother has another car) as well as talking to neighbours etc etc. If anything is not right they may not pay out for the claim which will cause all sorts of problems and you may be refused cover going forward. Being reused cover is about as bad as it gets in the insurance world.

Dynamique Flamer
I would suggest if you can afford it get the INS in your own name. I drove my mum's occasionally in the first year of driving and was on her INS ans therefore built up no NCB then got my own car and had to get my own policy with no NC :(

Audi S1
In the event of a claim and if the insurer suspects foul play, they will investigate. They have investigators who are very well trained to spot things which aren't right. If the suspect a 'fronted' policy, they will look for certain things (eg son has car, mother has another car) as well as talking to neighbours etc etc. If anything is not right they may not pay out for the claim which will cause all sorts of problems and you may be refused cover going forward. Being reused cover is about as bad as it gets in the insurance world.

Makes sense - although don't insurance companies bring this on when they ask the main driver are you insured/own another car. Then there a name driver on it.

Some people could be wrongly accused, thats what I'm trying to say.

Yeh, Dad has a car that I'm not insured on, Mum is a named driver on that, and this car is both of ours, with her as main driver and me as named driver, If that clears it up

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I wouldn't see that as fronting, especially if she hasn't got another car and used your shared car to commute.

Personally, persuade her to get the insurance in your name, you'll save £100+ in time, probably in your next year alone, especially if you want a faster car of your own. It might be better to switch the car in your name too, not sure but thought I've read about issues with main drivers/policy holders not owning the car. Others will probably know better about this.

Also, if she's worried about losing her NCB, she won't unless she's not a policy holder for 2yrs, so if she goes back to policy holder next year, she will keep her current NCB.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172

when theres a chance theyll get out of paying, they employ the best of the best!!

but when it comes to the call centre staff and assesors?? tried to accuse my mate of having aftermarket rims and lights on his mgzr....that was completely standard,

oh i love insurance!!

on a more productive note, the second you can afford to go on your own, you might as well, will be about £100 next year too! sooner you get no claims, the better!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get ins in your own name for a year, then next year buy your own car and you will have a year bonus to use. Plus your mum's bonus wont have expired so she can start using that again.