ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Tip

Hey everyone, this may help some young or new drivers.

My dad recently told me about this as he's worked in insurance for about 25 years now.

Firstly always ring up to get your quote and directly to the insurer. (you can use gocompare or something to find a base quote)

Putting family members on your insurance will bring it down a little bit but not much but to be safe if it's your car make sure you are main driver.

"Introductory No Claims Discount" - The thing they won't tell you but you may be entitled to. This got me £150 off my quote.
Basically because I have been driving a year as a named driver on a policy but not as the main driver (so not getting and NCB) it shows that I havn't made a claim and have experience.
Please note, you must ASK about this as they will not tell you about it.

Hope this helps some people

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Alright mate, car insurance is a b**ch. standard.

I've found the cheapest to be admiral, I got a £1350 quote in my own name on a 1.4 clio 2003. With a one year introductory no claims bonus.

I passed my test last September at the age of 18 and have been driving a Fiat GP 2007 and the insurance is £700 with aviva with my mum and dad as main drivers and me as a named driver but accumulating no NCB.

So my advice is if you arnt going to go excessive with mods and that it kinda looks like a car your parents might drive then put them as main drivers, technically you should only be driving 3 or 4 times a week in it but I havnt crashed to date touch wood so have never had to worry about claiming.

In fairness you arn't going to get a very good quote having passed your test no matter how you do it. Hope this helps

Here.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Not fronting in the slightest! He is the main driver, just adding possible additional drivers onto his policy! Added my mum, knocked a bit off.

Based on the original post by the OP it isn't fronting, but what SC03OTT has put, is a bit different.lol

What I've done for the last year isn't exactly "fronting" as my mum has used the car a lot aswell, it's not the typical "it's my car but i'll put mum as main driver" case as they are clamping down on that kind of thing.
I know a lot of people that do that but me and my mum have shared that car for the last year and I've bought my own which will have me as the main driver.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
lol @ this

I was a named driver for 2 years. At the end of the day, the insurance company didn't even challenge it! Meh!

MR2 Mk1.5
lol @ this

I was a named driver for 2 years. At the end of the day, the insurance company didn't even challenge it! Meh!

Insurers are becoming more and more wise to it.. and the time you would get found out is in the event of a claim, ie the time you need your insurance.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You will if you have a claim

TBH, in some situations, fronting's mint..

I was at uni for three years, the clio was mine, but due to being at uni, I didn't drive it during term time, and my mum would when she wanted to, as I was at uni more than I wasn't, there's no way I could be a majority driver. The car was modded etc and exactly how I wanted it, but no insurer could really argue with my logic.

Fronting, good for uni students without the car at uni.

Although this isn't techically fronting, it's a good way for youngsters to reduce their insurance premiums.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Rob, you weren't fronting because you weren't the main driver.

Are you just trying to sound cool in your opening sentance so you can hang with the cool people?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rob, you weren't fronting because you weren't the main driver.

Are you just trying to sound cool in your opening sentance so you can hang with the cool people?

But to some degree it is, I'm insuring my car on my mum's name because it's cheaper. What is and isn't fronting is quite weird it seems. Much like tax evasion, it's ok if it's done properly... lol!

As for my opening sentence, I think I've been spending too much time in GC, I do apologise.

BTW, I found that video of you abusing Dave's saxo yesterday , I really need to post it up!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
flol, i'd forgotten about that!

As far as i'm aware front is when the named driver completes more miles in the car than the named driver.

Perhaps the Opening posters dad could offer a definition!

Fronting is acting in place of somebody else.

Example:
Owning a car and having your parents as main drivers and you as named but only you drive the car would be fronting.

(To the person that said I was fronting, I am not because the car is owned by my mum and she is main driver and I am named. Generally I use it in the evenings and she has it during the day. For my new car however I will be main driver for obvious reasons)