ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Problem

Hi there was wondering if any1 could help me,
I was sitting parked on a street this morning in my 182, when a guy driving a big vw van decided 2park directly in front of me. On his way in2 the space he hit my front bumper and put 3 bad scratches on it just at the corner.

He never realised he'd hit me but he admitted it was his fault. I have 2 witnesses who saw it, and me and my friend were in the car at the time.
The driver said his mate has a bodyshop but its a good 30miles away from where I stay. He gave me his details and I took his company details off the van.

Me and my friend went to get a quote and they said £250. Took sum pictures and decided to phone the company he worked for. The guy said No problem just send me a quote and I'll pay you to get it fixed. I'm waiting on the guy phoning me back.

So if I get the money great but what if he says get it fixed 1st?
If I was to claim my insurance would that count as a claim even if he was at fault?

I've already wrote2 182s off and another claim would mean i couldn't afford insurance for 182!!! Help please!!!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm not really an expert on these issues, but I would say either:

Get them to fix it first, and get the quote in writing. If the bodyshop owner and the driver are friends then establish in writing as well who will be paying for the work. Well, do this anyway, but it shouldn't be a problem if they're mates...

More advisable, I'd claim of his insurance. If there are witnesses who can back you up (preferably independant..) that he has admitted liability then it should be fine.

The guy will obviously rather pay for it because it keeps his premuim down, so it all may be legit. But obviously risky...

cock mobile.
To the letter of the law, you should claim of his insurance; but remember that means you have to declare to your insurance company that you have been in an accident (which could involve higher costs anyway).

Why not get him to go down to the garage with you, the bodyshop says yer, £250, you watch the other guy pay, you get the receipt; and then the work gets carried out.

The guy seems pretty genuinue, he did admit fault, etc.