ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance issue.. guilty until proved innocent:

Clio 172 Cup
As some of you may know I was involved in an accident last month where someone drove into my car. It was their fault and I have an independent witness who will confirm this.

While the car was sitting on my street waiting to get picked up for repair my insurance expired so I had to renew it. Since I was at this point 'mid-claim' I had to go with my existing insurers (Adrian Flux). They increased my renewal premium from £600 to £900 on the basis that a claim was outstanding and said that I'd get the difference back if the claim was settled in my favour.

Once the car was repaired the garage wouldn't let me take it away without paying the excess on my policy (£300.00 which presumably goes back to the insurers) which again would be repaid to me if the claim was settled in my favour.

So through no fault of my own I'm now £600 out of pocket until the claim is finalised. Possibly more as I could have shopped around for a better insurance deal if this hadn't happened.

Is this common with car insurance? Is there any point complaining to anyone about it? Should I have done anything differently?

Cheers folks

Chelsea tractor
Iirc you didn't have to continue with your existing insurers, as they are still liable to cover (or attempt to cover) anything that happened in that policy period.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No it's your fault unless proven otherwise ie admitted liability from the other party.

If it was so clear cut the insurance would have waived your excess before you picked the car up.

They haven't done this which means it isn't a clear cut case. So suck it and pray that it turns in your favour.

keep badgering the insurance company and ask what is happening because as of now you have 0 no claims until this is fixed.

Arctic 182 + yozza
bud you're gona have to suck it up

if got a 15k 'fault' accident now been on my policy for 2 years and i was hit in the rear by a motorbike.....work that one out

it's going to court this summer, ill prob lose that aswell!

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Is this common with car insurance? Is there any point complaining to anyone about it? Should I have done anything differently?

Cheers folks

I had to do the exact same thing as you, i did get all the money back and they recalculated my insurance once it was all clear.

I was with Tesco by the way.

Clio 172 Cup
I would have thought that applying for insurance with another company a week after a crash and with the car off the road might have had a severe effect on premiums?

M2 Competition
They'll make it as difficult as possible for you to claim that 600 back too. I have an outstanding 250 that ive nigh on given up on, is like talking to a thick brick wall trying to get sense from the old insurers.

Clio 172
They'll make it as difficult as possible for you to claim that 600 back too. I have an outstanding 250 that ive nigh on given up on, is like talking to a thick brick wall trying to get sense from the old insurers.

They are as quick as f**k when they want to take money from you but when you try get any back the b******s just f**k you around, its the same with any company.

koi

Audi S1
Same thing just happened to me with Adrian Flux, rolled my no claims back to 1 year :dapprove:

Defo give Sky Insurance a call, I done that and they got me a better price. Guy I spoke to knew his stuff too.