ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance for Nitrous

Trying to find a company that will Insure my clio v6 with nitrous, I have tryed Norwich union, adrian flux, roadsure to name but a few. Anyone got any ideas on other companies that may insure me, so far they all say that they only do insurance for classic cars with nitrous. Im 29 cleanish licence. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone ive tried mate has said no cos apparently its illegal to have NOS hooked-up whilst driving on the road.

Or is that just a big fat fib???

Yeah the money grabbing fekers are lying its not illegal, I even told them that it was for trac meets only and that I would have the bottle off, still said no.

You can go and bolt a turbo or supercharger on your car and they are fine but nitrous, something that lasts minutes, they dont want to no.

Simple solution, dont mention it? Track meets arent covered on insurance anyway and if thats the only time you use it then wheres the problem?

-Rob

Yeah Robs got a point there,

unless ur insurance covers track meets then look for cover, otherwise keep it on the "down low" ;)

Quote: Originally posted by zeemax on 14 August 2003

Problem is Im not Insured to drive to a meet with it fitted to the car!
Cant u just have it set-up, and fit the bottle when u get there, or is that too much of a pain in the arse???

No I told them that I would carry the gas in a seperate vehicle or get it when I get there they said NO bloody stupid as I couldnt use it. They simply will not insure me for having it fitted to the car, with or without a bottle of gas!

Toureg vW Transporte

i love it when you say "cleanish lisence". and if your with HIC your covered for the track.daf

Any of you guys tried adrian flux (think theyre on the web) they will insure me if I get my car chipped and my current policy covers exhaust, filter, alloys lowering!

I talked to adrian flux loads last year, and they agreed to insure a nitrous kit on mine as long as the bottle wasnt connected during road use, they were fine about it........

Hmmmmm Liverpool Victoria no good either? Hmmmmm

Depends how you define fitted?!

If there is no bottle of gas then arguably there is no nitrous system.

Thats the approach I would use, If there is no gas bottle there then there is no nitrous in the car, I should not think that would be too much of a problem. For advice I would advise contacting some of the better NOS intallers and seeing what they say.

Quote: Originally posted by zeemax on 14 August 2003

Yeah the money grabbing fekers are lying its not illegal, I even told them that it was for trac meets only and that I would have the bottle off, still said no.

You can go and bolt a turbo or supercharger on your car and they are fine but nitrous, something that lasts minutes, they dont want to no.
Problem with nitrous is that it is very flamable, the insurance company will probably see it as a bomb waiting to go off.

With a turbo or supercharger you are only using the petrol from the tank supplied with the car

NITROUS IS NOT FLAMMABLE. It is explosive the same as a fire extinguisher. A nitrous powered bike caught fire at pod one year, a bloke came running over pulled the nitrous bottle off the bike and put the fire out using the gas, true story that you no.

I have actually found a company today that will insure me with nitrous, took some searching but there are some or one company out there that no about cars!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

For racing purposes, nitrous oxide is usually contained in an aluminum cylinder, and is available in a variety of sizes ranging from 2.5 lbs to 20 lbs. While retained in the cylinder, the nitrous is in a liquid form and held under high pressure. When its released from the cylinder into the intake tract, its physical state changes from a liquid to a gas. This transformation occurs as the nitrous is released from an area of extreme pressure (the aluminum cylinders are pressurized to approximately 1000 P.S.I) into the vacuum of the intake manifold. This change in state is usually referred to as the nitrous boiling. Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Centigrade. However, if held under pressure in an automobile cooling system, for example, the coolant will remain a liquid, even above boiling point. Though inadvisable, if a radiator cap is removed under these conditions, and the pressure relieved, the water would expand and boil instantly. And so it is with nitrous oxide. While under pressure, nitrous exists in a liquid form. However when exposed to an instant reduction in pressure, the liquid expands and boils and the nitrous oxide is converted to gas. It takes energy to enable the nitrous to expand and boil. This energy is produced by the heat, which is absorbed from the surrounding air/gas in the intake tract. The end result is an intake charge that is cool, dense and oxygen rich - the ideal recipe for producing more power. The additional fuel required for nitrous is introduced in such a way that it is exposed to the full force of the expanding nitrous and it is atomized completely. This promotes improved burning in the combustion chamber and, as a direct result, power-output is increased. Nitrous Oxide (also known by the chemical formula N20) comprises two atoms of nitrogen and one of oxygen. The heat of the combustion breaks the chemical bond that holds them together. Without heat, the three atoms would remain bonded and, consequently, the oxygen atom rendered powerless, and unable to play its role in the combustion process. This is why inhaling nitrous can lead to asphyxiation, even though it has a higher oxygen content than air. Your body cannot produce the heat necessary (about 525 degrees Fahrenheit) to break the bond between the nitrogen and the oxygen, leaving the oxygen content useless for respiration. Gasses are often considered in terms of moles. The definition of a mole is the amount of substance that contains Avogadros number of atoms or molecules. Though this number remains the same (6.02 x 10 to the power of 23), the weight of a mole can vary depending on the atomic weight of the molecule in question. Because an engine requires volume instead of mass, weight can be dismissed. A mole of any substance occupies 22.4 liters at standard pressure and temperature. The fact remains that all gasses have the same molar volume in similar conditions. So, if a cylinder can draw two moles of air on an intake stroke, it can also consume the same volume of nitrous. By volume, air contains 21 % oxygen compared to nitrous, which is 50% oxygen. For every two moles of Nitrous Oxide (N20) introduced to the cylinder, there are two moles of Nitrogen (N2) and one mole of Oxygen (02), as can be seen in the equation below:

Mk2 172

_KDF Please finish what you were typing. Absolutely fascinating. (although the last line is slightly incorrect)