ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

insurance for 172 registered 2004??

172 ph2
Having a bit of a mare trying to sort my insurance out on my newly purchased 172, with my current insurer refusing to insure me meaning i'm going to end up losing a year of no claims...

anyway... to my next problem.

The registration date of my car is down as February 2004. If you put this into any insurance website when looking up the vehicle it doesn't bring up any 172s. If I put my reg in it comes up as a Clio 1.3 or something... I think the car may have originally being registered as a European vehicle (from Ireland i think..) and I guess this is why.

Soo... the only way I can get my car to come up to get a quote is to put the registration year down as 2003. If something were to happen and I needed to claim is this something they could screw me on ?

I'm trying to avoid ringing because the quotes are coming out cheaper online..

www.renparts.co.uk
have you done an HPI check on it, would never show up as another vehicle, only usually not recognized if its imported.

172 ph2
Not done an hpi check (yeah i know..) but it was bought from a reputable place who would be very unlikely to be selling something which wasn't clear.

Just to note it doesn't always come up as a different model, it only does that on a couple of places. On most it just comes up as not recognised.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
on my log book it doesnt even say mines a sport it says its a clio RL cant remeber what happen when i insured it i dont think mine was recongised had to type it manualy

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
When I got my 53 plate ( European import) my insurance kept saying the same even though I asked about getting a 172 when I took the policy and they said it would be fine. Turned out that to them there were no 172's made after this time and that they had been thinking it was a 182 (even though I told them plenty of times it was a 172:mad: ). Any how once they finally worked out that it was a 172 they said I could keep the NCB going (for a price!). Dont know why a 172 is fine to them and a 182 wasn't but might be worth checking. It also came up as a 182 on some insurance search engines with the number plate check, when I looked after.

ph2 172
My 172 was also first registered in early 2004, however like yours it will be a 2003 model that didn't get sold until 2004. I just select 2003 as the model year when getting insurance quotes, it's never given me a problem even when I made a claim last year.

172 ph2
Cheers, might do that.

Just rang to change my breakdown cover and I now have a 197 :p

He couldn't find it at all despite me telling him to look under 2003. So he put it down as a 197 !

172 ph2
Sorted it out now.

Basically, the whole story is... I will have 5 years no claims on 24th of February with my current insurance policy. So I thought I would just be able to change the policy with my current insurer for the final month, get my 5 years no claims, and if the renewal was too much I could move on.

Called them to change it - told they couldn't insure me on it !

So I did consider letting it run for another 3 weeks before insuring my new 172 but I need to use it and didn't want to risk running without insurance. So i've called again to cancell it and tell them to send me my 4 years no claims. Then they agreed to let me have 5 years no claims and they would insure me.... Except the quote was £200 more than I had been quoted with esure based on 4 years no claims.

The guy on the phone was hinting for me to do what my original plan was, tell the new company I have 5 years and delay sending the no claims through. But I know how insurance companies like to screw you do didn't want to risk anything being wrong.

I have managed to select my car as a 2003 172 on esure and seperately have entered the registration date as 2004. £565 with protected no claims so it's not too bad.