ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inlet manifold bolts stripped.. fixable, bad?

02' PH1 172
Hey guys.
If looking front on at the manifold, the back two bold on mine are pretty stripped, they bite a little bit, but are pretty stripped... one more session of taking them out and in will be the end of the tread.

Is this a bad thing or is it still ok seeing as the front three are still un-stripped and tighten fine?

Also, is it possible to get these bolts re-thread?

cheers

02' PH1 172
longer bolts I've tried, not helping me tho. A re-thread will have to go with the helicoils right? is there enough space to get them re-thread?

Also, in the mean time, is it bad that they have stripped? I mean is it causing damage or anything like that?

Cheers for your response mate :)

02' PH1 172
cool, thanks dude.

Was just a little worried that it would be causing the car to run a bit lean or something with not sealing properly

ITB'd MK1
if the rest of them are in should be ok

just re cut the threads a little larger with a die/thread cutter and use a corrisponding size bolt

or helicoil

cutting the thread larger for the next bolt size up is a bit of a last resort. Means you'd need to dril out the holes in the upper half too. Helicoil is simplest, and very strong when done right.

If the bolts aren't tightened right down, then you're risking a vacuum leak which could give you lean running, but you'd likely notice it as the car would run rough.

ITB'd MK1
if the rest of them are in should be ok

just re cut the threads a little larger with a die/thread cutter and use a corrisponding size bolt

or helicoil

cutting the thread larger for the next bolt size up is a bit of a last resort. Means you'd need to dril out the holes in the upper half too. Helicoil is simplest, and very strong when done right.

If the bolts aren't tightened right down, then you're risking a vacuum leak which could give you lean running, but you'd likely notice it as the car would run rough.

ITB'd MK1
so I can put a helicoil in without having to re-thread it? I though helicoils were used once the thread has been re-done (made bigger)

no, you have to cut a new, specific thread for the helicoil to be fitted to. not too complicated. I fitted 49 into a cylinder head a while back where the cam bearing cams and rocker cover had been overtightened and ruined all the threads

02' PH1 172
I am feeling slightly retarded, bit too early in the morning for me but.. isnt re-threading and cutting a specific thread for the helicoil the same thing?

lol having to do 49 must have been a right pain