ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Info needed

Hi all new user here. I'm after some advice, I currently drive a subaru impreza STI3 but due to a recently expanded family I had to buy the mrs a jeep to replace her corsa and am now going to get rid of the scoob.
The garage I bought the scoob from has said they would do a deal with me on an 03 plate 172 cup. It has 37000 on the clock full service history and has recently had the timing belt done.

Just after opinions on how they drive, handle etc. Also is there any thing I should look out for? Are the headgaskets prone to failure? are servicing and parts expensive?

Thanks in advance

Lots of Alfas
The cup is the lightweight version, has most of the luxury stuff deleted.. The cambelt and aux belt will be due, check service history as its an expensive job. The headgaskets are not a common problem but do all the normal checks. The 172cup also has no abs which some see as being controversial.

The cup is the lightweight version, has most of the luxury stuff deleted.. The cambelt and aux belt will be due, check service history as its an expensive job. The headgaskets are not a common problem but do all the normal checks. The 172cup also has no abs which some see as being controversial.

What is aux belt? will this have been done with the cambelt as it has been done?

Lots of Alfas
The aux belt (easier job on the cup) has to be changed every 36k, the cambelt has to be changed every 72k or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

Lots of Alfas
It drives the alternator, power steering pump, water pump, and air con compressor if fitted.

A Flamin' Red one
Hi all new user here. I'm after some advice, I currently drive a subaru impreza STI3 but due to a recently expanded family I had to buy the mrs a jeep to replace her corsa and am now going to get rid of the scoob.
The garage I bought the scoob from has said they would do a deal with me on an 03 plate 172 cup. It has 37000 on the clock full service history and has recently had the timing belt done.

Just after opinions on how they drive, handle etc. Also is there any thing I should look out for? Are the headgaskets prone to failure? are servicing and parts expensive?

Thanks in advance

Your best bet is to spend some time browsing the forum and see what you can learn. The search function should throw up all types of answers but people are always more than happy to lend a hand. If you're looking to do a deal on the Cup I'd consider getting the cambelt thrown in as part of the deal, it's an expensive job!

Thanks in advance

Your best bet is to spend some time browsing the forum and see what you can learn. The search function should throw up all types of answers but people are always more than happy to lend a hand. If you're looking to do a deal on the Cup I'd consider getting the cambelt thrown in as part of the deal, it's an expensive job!
The timing belt has been done according to his post, sorry to be pedantic.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Accessory belt runs everything bar the cams, you only have two belts on Clios.

Luckily, it's very easy to change the accessory belt on a 172 Cup, due to the lack of air-con.

thanks for all the replys, if you had said fan belt i would have known what you meant. just been up today and done the deal, get the car next week.
It was selling for 5495, managed to get some cash and the car my way for my scoob. it's a 53 plate, 38000 miles, fsh, they are putting a years MOT and two new tyres on it for me.

I take it the switch on the passenger door that you put the ignition key into is to turn off the passenger side air bag?

really looking forward to getting it now, altho i'll miss the scooby's performance but not the fuel bill.