ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Indicators - Lights work, dash light does not.. but the bulb is fine...?!

The Clio has had this for a while now, the left indicator dash bulb stopped working around 3-4 months ago. Today I went about sorting what I thought the problem was.

The indicators (left or right) work with no issues on the exterior of the car (Headlights, Rear lights, side repeaters). The hazards also work fine.

Inside the car, the dash clocks only illuminate the right indicator bulb, the left does not light up, even with the hazards on. With this in mind, I assumed a blown bulb.

Stripped the dash/clocks out today, can't say removing the needles are ever enjoyable though.. and the bulb works fine!

10660997_10153247332685016_2048063345_n.jpg

Built the car back up... still doesn't work in the car! I tried disconnecting the hazard light switch, also the same, tried the dashboard light / clocks test but the indicators are not part of the test.

So... anyone else have any ideas or had similar? :( :banghead:

Right.. clocks back out.. multimeter on the plug, continuity setting, pin 3 positive, pin 24 earth.. nothing...

Tried a battery and some wire on the pins and it lights up :) also tried Pin 2 and the other indicator also works... so both indicator bulbs light up from the plug on the back of the clocks..

time to test the continuity on the cars plug I guess... and hope for an iffy connection... not nothing :dead:

the-terminator-i-ll-be-back.jpg

Westfield, 182, 200
Remember the lights are Led's and act as diodes so you'll only get continuity one way.

Tried measuring the voltage at the plug??

So... continuity on the cars plug to dials, both left and right indicator pins beeped on the multimeter, with the hazards on got intermittent beeping as the exterior bulbs lit up... all fine!

Measured voltage... both reading well on and off when the lights are going... all fine!

So connected dials again, no left indicator!

Anyway after half an hour of wiggling wires.. On it came!!! :D I noticed one of the pins in plug loose, clicked it back into the plug, then the plug wouldn't go into the dials themselves.. the pin in the dials was every so slightly kinked.. probably why the pin came loose in the cars plug...straightened the pin and re-seated all the pins

And...

SORTED!!

Bit school boy error I guess :eek: lol

Thank you for all the help :)