ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Indicator/rear light cluster problem - now car won't start

Evening CS,
Noticed the rear light (right side) wasn't working. Took rear cluster out, got the rear light working looked as if the wires had become a little loose. Took car out tonight and the indicator on the left rear wasn't working and dash light and side/front lights were going double speed. Also rear brake light on the left was now not working.
Light cluster out again - got it all working again after securing the clip/plug in with some electrical tape.
Go to start the car and it goes to turn over and then loads of lights on the dash, weird noises and xenons flickering then doesn't start.
Take the light cluster out - remove tape - now back rear light not working.
Try to start the car and it won't start - this time without the odd xenon flickering/sounds and illuminated dash. Clocks gone to 00.00 so something with the battery is going on.

Things i'm going to try:
check fuses/relays
try start it with jump leads

Any other suggestions?

Sounds like somethings taking the current and drainging your battery? Bad earth/ dodgy connection. Do you have any contact cleaner spray?

Mmm it's a bit of a puzzle. No contact cleaner - I've got no tools at all here they are all at my Dad's cos were at Anna's Mum and Dads. Car is now stuck on steep drive too b****cks!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Defy sounds like a couple of issues here but the flickering is likely due to low battery voltage. The rear lamp unit could be a poor earth or bent pins.

Cheers @MicKPM. Wires to the Rear lamp unit appear to be faulty- any movement knocks out either indicator or bottom bulb or both.
Car now starts but rear light not working all others ok.
If the connection to the lamp unit is at fault can it be replaced?
Worth getting a auto electrian to take a look?

Ta in advance. Need to book the car in for some other bits I'll email you.

Thanks @MicKPM for the sign post towards bent pins. They were fucked. Contact cleaner (@dann2707), bit of scrubbing the terminals (not sure if that's the right terminology) and some bending back of the pins into some kind of order has seemed to do the trick. s**t design or ham fisted French man in the factory? possibly both, definitely neither.