ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In Situ Camshaft Cover Cleaning Advice.

Ex 182 owner
Hello Masters of the Dark Arts,

I'm going to be doing a plug swap soon and figured it was the best time to give the camshaft cover a clean up. It got the usual spilt oil and grim kicking about. Not looking for miracles, just wondering what worked best. I tried some foam engine degress crap from halfords on some other bits, fairy probably would have been better. I dont want to take it out the car so its going to have to me engine bay friendly/ Might start the sandpaper rubbing process on the inlet while that is out.

F35D76AD-5E3C-4099-B777-369FF0E53F62_zps6ouw5ek7.jpg

Suggestions welcome

cheers
Chris

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Inlet is powder coated but i have a different one getting done this week with loads of other parts .

If i was to start over again i would use this stuff tho.

"VHT aluminum paint" as you get this finish and not the grey i have got.

vc.jpg

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hello Masters of the Dark Arts,

I'm going to be doing a plug swap soon and figured it was the best time to give the camshaft cover a clean up. It got the usual spilt oil and grim kicking about. Not looking for miracles, just wondering what worked best. I tried some foam engine degress crap from halfords on some other bits, fairy probably would have been better. I dont want to take it out the car so its going to have to me engine bay friendly/ Might start the sandpaper rubbing process on the inlet while that is out.

Suggestions welcome
cheers
Chris

I would do as MarcR said and paint it. Remove the inlet, use engine degreaser and rough it up a little bit (I used a wire brush). Couple of coats of high temp paint, no need for primer -

XDZX9rQ.jpg

BjuefY6.jpg

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Needs to be clean if you plan to paint it.
WD40 is a good place to start, then degreaser / brake cleaner etc. Cheap ebay steam cleaner helps the tight gaps too.