ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In-Car PC

Guys, looking into building an in-car PC, what components will I need not inc the screen?

So far I have,

All in one mini case, motherboard, power supply and 800mhz processor £140

Maxtor Diamond Max Plus8 40GB hard drive £32

Kingston 256 RAM 133mhz dimm £38

Pioneer 16xdvd slot £23

this is the blurb from the website about the case (seems like I dont need graphics card, although I already have one and a sound card)

what else would I need?

You need some way of shutting down the PC when you switch your ignition off that doesnt involve crashing windows/linux.

Some way of controlling the PC, this can be done through the game port, rip apart an old joystick and use its buttons to control track up/down, start stop etc.

Are you using a screen at all? There are some tasty LCD screens availble for this type of app. Usually going for around £20 (non graphical).

Have a search on Google, there are many sites dedicated to this.

If I can find some of the ones I looked at before I will post them.

/Mad

i really want to go for a 7" touchscreen, but if not, i can get my hands on a 6.5" screen, then would have to have a keyboard and mouse.

you will not need a soundcard and graphics card as these components are included built into your motherboard. You will defiinetely need a touchscreen as all the other ways of controlling the PC are just too impractical for in car use. Your mini PC case wont have any PCI or AGP slots anyway if im correct in guessing that its a ITX case and by the way if its not, make sure it is, you dont want a mini-atx case bulking up your car.

Ta, Andy

im picking up a mini pc on saturday morning :)

it does have a PCi slot, so i can upgrade the sound card or graphics card, will probably be the sound card I upgrade.

Mini-ITX Nehemiah 1GHz m/b
256MB RAM
40GB hard drive
Slot-loading DVD-ROM drive
Venus case with mains PSU

I will need to get hold of a touchscreen, do these need some kind of software to make them function, does it usually come with the screen?