ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

improve handling 172

driving the car tonight following a fiesta st (must admit there a bit slow or he cant drive) the handling on the fiesta was much better then my clio it just feels a bit sloppy i need to sharpen it up the clio is totally standard what is the best thing to do to sharpen it up coilovers? bushes? whats best kit out there thanks a lot

ST
Some eibach sportlines and some koni adjustable shocks is what I had on my old 172, was on rails.

Tho before you go spending money, check your tyres are the correct pressure, check for leaks in the standard shocks, also look for cracked springs. Have you had the geometry checked at all?

quick reply tyres are all good got some avons on the front they seem alright pressures all ok tracking done about 6 months ago just dont feel confident pushing it in corners just seem to lose grip i think just need the suspension overhauling but dont know whats best on these thanks for the reply

ST
No worries mate. Also beware of the temp just now, tyres have an operating temp and when we're down to -4deg some nights up here (central belt Scotland) tyres won't get up to temp so maybe give it until the weather gets better then see how it feels?

WRX
There's no way a standard Fiesta ST would handle noticeably better than a Clio, last trackday at Oulton Park I was taking the corners at very similar pace to an ST on coilovers and 888s and my Clio's only on standard shocks, Sportlines and road tyres. Maybe he had a better suspension/tyre setup. Maybe yours might just need a refresh on certain parts?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Better tyres? After all it's the only 4 points which have contact with the road

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I just had Yokohama AD08s fitted last night and what a f**king difference!

Honestly never thought tyres could make such a difference. Turn the corner and the car turns instantly rather than having the usual sidewall flex and bit of slide.

Stuck to the road like glue :D

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
No point having fancy tyres though if your suspension components are in need of a refresh.

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
i would say new shocks all round + eibach sportlines! when your tyres do wear out replace with michelin ps3's

do you reckon aftermarket coilovers are worth hear alot about koni adjustable but they seem very pricey. i got avon tyres all round atm got a good deal and i think there a good make thanks for the replays

WRX
Craig, is it your birthday?
Depends how old you are for coilovers on a road car and then they seem more hassle than they're worth, most of the time. If your Avons are ZV5s then I would say they're fine as I've used them. Don't know about others in their range though. Could well have been cold tyres and your tracking could easily be miles out after 6 months.

Clio 172 Cup
MY 172 Cup has done 100k, it was feeling a bit sloppy so I fitted new suspension arms and rollbar bushes. The shocks were done about 20k ago.
The car now handles like it's brand new, amazing difference.

it is im 23 today lol
yer zv5 there pretty decent i think i want to replace the suspension but coilovers seem tbh more hassle then its worth want it to be abit sharper and a bit lower but not much basically a good compromise for comfort and handling which wont kill my credit card cheers

WRX
Happy Birthday!

Cup shocks and Sportline or Cooksport springs are plenty good enough for road/occassional track use.

thanks for the advice im gonna change the roll bar bushes as there starting to split aswell i think i just think the cars getting old