ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

immobilisor problem.

firstly,im new on here so greetings to u all and happy new year:).

my problem is this.

i have a transponder type key.when i try to start the car the red light by the gear stick stays on and the light on the dash (the injection warning light, the one with a wiggly line that looks like a heart monitor in a hospital ) comes on for about 3 seconds and then starts flashing.the engine wont start.the red light stays on all the time.i have just bought this car as a non runner so know nothing about it.it also has an alarm which is not a renault alarm as far as i know,it has auto watch written on the remote fob.i dont think its an alarm and immobiliser,but cant be sure.the starter turns over ok but wont fire up.its a clio 1.2 paris and dosent have central locking.the key i am using is listed in my service history booklet as the supplementary key.it has a completely different number to th ignition key and door key,although it opens all th doors and turns in the ignition switch.i have opened the key up and it has a transponder inside. what is this supplementary key for,should it start the engine?this is the only key i have. has anyone any ideas?

p.s. when i got the car the battery was completely dead,it wouldnt even illuminate the dashboard lights so a new battery has been fitted.the car could have been unused for many months.

further to my postr above.

does anyone know what it means when the red light stays on and the wiggly line light flashes.

jay 172.

thanks for that,is there any way of checking to see if the transponder is working?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the lights mean the key is incorrect,not recognised or no signal from the key and the immobiliser is still active.you need diagnostic equipment that can access the immobiliser system to check the key transponder.

Clio 1.6 RXE

yup, spot on with what JAY has said there.

ive just had this prob with my 1.6 RXE model.
I had to take mine down to Renault, they never actually told me the exact problem, but i managed to narrow mine down to the remote by figuring i only had probs starting the car, when i had probs opening it with the remote.

So, one day, i opened it no prob and it started no prob. so i conducted a little experiment...i didnt use the remote to lock the car, i just used the ol key in the door jobbie, same again when i opened it.
And, wouldnt you know it, doing this, i never had any probs starting the car.
so, theres a lil tip for you to use while your waiting to get down to Renault to get your key sorted. ;)