ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Immobiliser Problem - Car Won't Start

2001 1.2 Expresion
Hello,

Something is really messed up in my 2001 MK2 PH2 Clio, used to only happen occasionally and could be fixed by waiting 5 mins but now every time I unlock the car and put the key in the ignition the immobiliser light flashes red. When I turn the key nothing happens, I hear a click noise and my screen on the centre console turns off and on again. I thought it was a flat battery so I bought a new one a few days ago but now the problem is actually worse. It never starts at all and the only way I can get it going is by bump/jump starting it while holding in the central locking button on the key.

Obviously this is really a problem now as I can't be jump/bump starting every time!

Has anybody else had this issue or something similar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you need the key repaired or a new key programmed. The solder on the transponder has probably come loose.

I may be able to suggest someone depending on where you are in the country, drop me a PM with your general location.

renault clio 1.6 16v
It's ure starter motor, I've had the same trouble, had mine fixed today, starts first time now

2001 1.2 Expresion
It does flash when it won't start. Thing was the problem used to be intermittent and could be fixed if I just waited about 10 minutes. So I bought a new key casing from eBay - (exact same just new plastic) which worked great for 1 day but then didn't work at all. I switched back to the old key case and now it's intermittent but still quite frequent.

I was checking through the receipts from the previous owner and I saw that a new "Ignition barrel" was fitted on 13th February 2013 (about 2 weeks before I got the car) Would that have anything to do with it not recognising the key?

If anyone could give me an idea of how much it would cost for a new key to be programmed or if anyone can help me in the Belfast area that would be amazing.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It may be the UCH at fault to and a new key won't do a thing.

Professional advice - seek proper diagnostics on the imobilliser system before you spend any money. We charge £45 for an hours proper fault finding which is not to be confused with code reading.

Mick

2001 1.2 Expresion
Ok just thought I'd update this thread to help anyone with the same issue.

I bought an ECU, UCH, Ingition barrel and ignition decoder ring (with key fob) on eBay for £51 for a 1.2 Expression (3 years younger than mine, doesn't seem to matter)
Then fitted it all except for the ignition barrel (I just changed key blade in the new fob) and now it works like brand new!
Central locking works from really far away compared to what it used to be like and it starts first time every time.
The ECU and UCH are quite difficult to get at and it took me and a friend about 2 hours (neither have any mechanical experience)

After having mechanics tell me I needed a new ECU and it would be stupidly expensive I got this. Well worth it!