ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Immobiliser/key fob playing up!

172 & 200 CUP
as titled,
couldn't start the car, its been happening for a while now....

key 1, immobiliser light flashing, therefore car can't start

key 2, immobiliser light stays on, therefore car can't start

been trying to turn the key on/off for a few time on both keys and the car still wouldn't start.......

a few minutes later, tried with the key 2, and immobiliser light went off, car started! luckily i was in Trafford Centre, but i have been stuck petrol station before with a queue of people behind me.....

sometimes both keys would work, but just recently its been getting worse!
i don't think is the key fob's battery, as they have been replaced not long ago!

please give advice!

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The keys are knackered basically

On the inside of the key is a micro chip which emitts a signal ( recieved by the electrical anti theft ring or reciever on the ignition barrel ) this then sends a signal to the ECU which knocks your imobiliser off. When the chip goes wrong the red light will flash constantly on the dash and the engine will turn over on the key, but it wont fire up. The first thing to try is a new key battery - this rarely cures the problem. The second solution is to have both keys re-programmed on a "clip" diagnostic computer. The third option if all else fails is brand new keys + programming.

Keep your keys away from mobile phones / tv's and microwaves.....these objects can interfere with the key internals causing them to go faulty

Last edited:
  172 & 200 CUP
i mainly use one of the key, which when turned, the immobiliser light keeps flashing, so its saying the key is faulty?

on the spare key that i rarely use, the immobiliser light stays on, so its saying battery is low......but then this is the key that started the car........

i do have a Viper alarm with the car, would you suggest to have the alarm over rides the car's immobiliser?
as when i first had the immobiliser installed, i choose not to have the alarm and the car's immobiliser to be controlled together!

MERCEDES CLS AMG
i mainly use one of the key, which when turned, the immobiliser light keeps flashing, so its saying the key is faulty?

Ans - yes

on the spare key that i rarely use, the immobiliser light stays on, so its saying battery is low......but then this is the key that started the car........

Ans - If this key starts the car thats fine but it will still need to be reprogrammed with the other key as they will need to sync the complete set up together.

i do have a Viper alarm with the car, would you suggest to have the alarm over rides the car's immobiliser?
as when i first had the immobiliser installed, i choose not to have the alarm and the car's immobiliser to be controlled together!

Ans - Independant alarm systems always complicate the case. It depends on who fit the alarm and how they've wired it into the electrics. The Renault immobiliser system cant be overidden - its absolutey fool proof and to be honest theres no need to have a seperate unit fitted.!