ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac

Just been down the apple store to have a word and look at the imac properly.

I have pretty much decided on that i want one and have spoke to them about the 0% 12month finance which seems fine but the only thing that worrys me is the specs.

I would properly get the 20" imac as the 24" is to expensive and wont fit in the space i have. However 1gb of ram and a 250gb hard drive isnt big enough and the jump to the next level is £150. Buying 4gb of mac ram and a 500gb hard drive elsewhere seems a cheaper option but i dont know if i want to be busting open a brand new mac.

What is the normal thing to do and what have others done, im pretty sure i have read others having bought ram seperatly etc...

Really just need some advise. Is it even worth upgrading or should i just stick to the basic setup?

It will be used for:

Email, Surfing, Music, Photo Editing, Graphic Design, Web Design or other programming.

172 Cup
basic setup should be ok. i got the old shape imac from about 3 years ago with 160gb hard drive and im just over half used up. More ram might be an idea as i do some graphic design and i find it a little slow. just me though

i know on my iMac (the all white one with core 2 duo) they have a slot underneath were u can put a bigger RAM card. As for the hard drive, i would just buy a external one, thats what im planning on doing? hope this helps!

133, 182, Kangoo 182
RAM is a user-serviceable part and is very easy to change. Hard drive will void your warranty if you attempt to change it (though that's not hard either) but an external drive will be fine as Jaykay said.

Just to let you know, there are rumors of a new iMacs being released before the xmas holidays (speed bumps probably - more for your money).

RB 182
Revels;4590018Do you need one right now? said:
Id be waiting til MacWorld in Jan TBH..
:approve: That's what I would do if you could as well.

As for the RAM it's dead easy, just slot it in underneath the screen.

Cheers, i will have a read.

What is the best way to figure out a price for my current pc?

Here is the spec, previously i have just looked at prices on the net and worked out a % drop but it almost seems that nothing has gone down in price which is a bit odd.

Asus P5N-E SLI NF650i SLi
AKASA Zen case - White
400 Gb Seagate Barracuda ST3400633AS
500W CoolerMaster iGreen Power Silent
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Pioneer DVR-112D dual layer
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2
320MB EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 overclocked to 2.68ghz

Also not sure if i am including a 17" samsung syncmaster monitor/tv and a microsoft wireless desktop 6000 set.