ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I'm struggling to get a decent level of correction.

Audi A5
So I've recently bought a black 197 and its got alot of swirls that I'm try to correct.

Im using a das 6 and I've tried srp and menzerna pf 2500 compound.

both on the white menzerna cutting pad (I bought the starter kit from i4detailing) and up to speed 5 on the DA.

On each square foot I do I leave the machine on for a good couple mins, wipe away the compound/polish to find lots of swirls still, do I need to go to a higher speed of do I need a more aggressive pad or compound?

​Cheers bobby.

Not a 320d
Depends how deep the swirls are at the end of the day. Pearl Black (If yours is Pearl) wasnt too hard and I found the menzerna stuff more than sufficient.

Ive heard Black Gold is very very hard however.

Can you invest in a rotary. The extra torque will reduce your work times. Might be worth compounding via rotary then finishing with DA.

Audi A5
They are very light swirls, can't feel them with your finger.

I don't really fancy a rotary as I feel I'm still too new to machine polishing and I don't want to burn the paint.

im not sure if its pearl of BG tbh ill have to find that one out.

I was thinking about trying something like black hole, maybe to fill/cover the swirls rather than correcting them?

Not a 320d
You could do. IMO if youre going to go to the trouble of machine polishing then do it properly and seal it with Cquartz or something. I rarely use glaze anymore and I havent done any serious correction work for so long now.

Try Megs 105. I never liked any of the Menz pads. Always loved the sonus pads. Love the Hexlogic pads. Like Lake country and generally use those these days.

Id look into hex pads and megs 105 as your compound. Youd be suprised how well it will finish down although megs 205 on a lighter pad will make a really noticable difference.

Audi A5
I have three pads, white, orange and yellow. The white one is the most aggressive though according to i4detailing but still not giving the results I would of hoped for. I have tried going over the same part a few times and it still doesn't seem to change.

Just wondering, has anyone got any experiences with deep black paint on a 197 before? Is it seen as hard or soft?

I think ill try the megs 105 with a better pad next.