ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Im pickin' up not-so-good vibrations

M135i and the shed
Ok so, l've had my new exhaust fitted to the 197 for about a week now. I've had an annoying vibration from the back-box area since then.

Now originally l assumed this was it touching the heat shields so l booked it in to get sorted. Only trouble is that the garage have now said the heat shields don't touch anywhere. Now l'm confused!

So my only other thoughts is that its either loose baffles or that the vibration of the exhaust is somehow transferring through the mounts and into the heat shield? I've had a look at the heat shields and they resonate like crazy when you flick them so this doesn't seem so far fetched.

Has anyone else had a similar situation and if so how did you sort it?

Its a full de-cat system so its pretty loud, but surely that can't cause the heat shields to resonate?

HELP!!! :(

Sorry for the chronic abuse of a classic beach boys track for my thread title but it seemed fitting :)

Megane 225
Resonance will only happen at a certain sound frequency. Does the exhaust rattle all the time or just at certain revs?

M135i and the shed
No not all the time. Its when you rev it and then as the revs begin to settle it hits the correct resonant frequency and the rattle appears. Its more annoying than anything really.

My trusty lil 182 :)
mine does exactly the same on the 182. Only hits the right note as the revs drop down on the overrun. As you say, its just a bit annoying! Was thinking of sticking some heat proof backing to the heat shields to damp the rattle if I can ever be bothered.