ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Illegal to run without backbox?

ClioSport 172 Cup
Is it illegal to run car without my back section?? I have a stainless catback mongoose system previous owner fitted and its so restrictive, its like they didnt want to hear the engine at all when they fitted it. I took it off today, (the back section) and the engine sounds so nice just running it without! Also the backbox on this system must weigh like 100kg lmao, its seriously heavy. Can i run it without this great hunk of back box? I am eventually going to fit a straight piece of stainless in its place but for the time being i wanted to just enjoy the fruity 16v cliosport engine in all its glory. It doesnt actually sound as loud as i thought it would either, i reckon the cat and centre box must be helping too, i had a suzuki swift gti before this car and that had a short single muffled exhaust, no cat and that was 3 times louder than this!!

Sam

wait and see ;)
dont have a clue on this but a mate is running a side exit wich has no back box, its just manifold, downpipe, back box, bend, exit, so i guess its the same

Surely not having a backbox will make it loud as f**k?!

Are you one of those irritating chavs with the loudest exhausts in the world? ;) ;) lol :rasp:

vers le haut doigt milieu
Yeah Loud as f**k, I had a megane coupe with an F7R engine decat, even tho I had a box at the back it had no baffels in it and f**k me was it loud. All u need is a Cat to pass MOT.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
yeah my back box fell off in true reno fashion...... was silly loud but never got any hastle from the police. ran for about 6 weeks before i could get a new exhaust lol...

ClioSport 172 Cup
I love hearing as much of the engine combustion as i can! lmao. Makes it alot more fun pressing the go pedal and gear shifting. Seriously though ppl say this exhaust is loud without no backbox?? pfffft:rasp:, unless this mongoose system just has a good mid section?. i thought it was quite bearable, nothing that loud, it sounded more like a ferrari or something. My GTi Swift's side exit was that loud ppl on the side walk used to cover their ears and be blown over!! haha.

Anyways..so its not actually 'illegal' to run the car with no rear section?? .. as long as i have a centre section and cat?? I don`t wanna get fined by the local police. I know they don`t bother about exhaust db on the MOT, hence the reason my Swift passed!

Sam

White APE
A member on here had a Longlife exhaust system made for his car. That has no boxes. It is loud as fook mind!

vers le haut doigt milieu
noise levels are an issue, research it and let me know. You don't need to have a middle section for mot and if its not as loud as u say then it has a centre box other wise you will hear it soo much it more then a little GTI swift. I've just had my centre box put in as my car was too loud.

BMW E46 330i Touring
it sounded more like a ferrari or something.

Hmm...

My backbox fell off my old Ph1 when I was an hour and a half's motorway journey from home... longest 90 minute's drive home in my llife! Sounded horrific. In my error-ridden days, I got a new Renault centre section and the monkey apprentice said I "should leave it as it is"... um, no.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Must just be a good centre section on my exhaust then cause it didnt sound that bad to me. Bare in mind my GTi swift was a side exhaust, no cat and a single small centre peco silencer, also the engine had 12.5:1 compression race pistons and some crazy lumpy cams + very big overbored TB, it was far from standard, loudest car ive ever owned! It made 150bhp on the dyno! Great little pocket rocket tho, used to hit 8600rpm with the remap.
I remember being told by a guy who does MOT's that the Db level of the exhaust is not tested on the MOT. So it isn`t an MOT requirement. Hence the reason my GTi passed the MOT. I`ve been reading the Sound regulations act for motor vehicles, someone put a link in one of these forums and from what I make of it the Db law is related to the actual manufacturer of cars(when it leaves the factory it has to pass certain Db levels, it doesnt effect the buyer, potential owner(us). So once its left the factory there are no laws that we have to abide to with exhaust Db.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
^^^ this is correct, an MOT tester is within his right to fail a car if he deems it too noisey, i checked this at work too its right

I would also say yes i would think it woould be illiegal to run without a rear box,( im sure i read somewhere that an exhaust has to exit the vehicle) and i would be worried about where all those boiling hot exhaust gasses will be going.....

ClioSport 172 Cup
I am planning on a straight pipe from mid section to back tho, so it will be exiting the vehicle technically.

Sam

I'm sure as long as it is exiting the rear of the car and is not over the noise limit (whatever db that may be) then it will be legal?

Renault Sport Clio 172
the back box om my ph1 snapped off and i didn't notice until the next day, there wasn't much noise level difference, not sure what that has got to do with this thread but thought i'd put my 2 cents worth in :) but i do think that loud cars are just ott, and stupid!