ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Illegal to Cover Dash Lights?

Breaking A 172 Replica
I haven't done it but the person I have bought the car off has.

I know the airbag system isn't working and this is why the SERV light comes on and I know therefore he has covered the airbag light up.

I am currently still dealing with him about something else and this would make useful ammo.

Thanks

Sam

D

dick

ive done it, had an airbag go off before, expensive job, not having that done again.

unclip, unclip, unlcip, tape up bulb.

will put it back together when i flog it.

BMW M3
I think he wants it to be illlegal in order to give him ammo against the guy he bought it off to aid a current dispute.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Yeah as Justin said.

I wouldn't mind it being illegal :p

Thought it might be illegal as it is essentially hiding from me the fact the airbags are blown and he didn't tell me this. (I did recognise this however when I purchased it).

Thanks

Sam

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
i would have thought you would have some comeback as the airbag is safety related. i thought you can fail it on a mot if the airbag light is on.

no mate i know for a fact you dont need a drivers airbag cos my mate works at gordon lamb and he told me last time cos i have my momo wheel on..i have taped my lights up but no actually on the light but on the pastic front he he i just dont have the sense or logic to get the dash or quickly without braking something to tape them up properly when i get my decat though i am getting the lights covered up together so job done at once

Chocolate Bar™
i got mine taken off via clip at my independent dealer for 25 quid! i cant see it being illegal to be honest

BMW 330D
^ Very True Mark
I used the guy you recommended in Leek and he turned my light off for me!
Cant complain for what it cost! :D

www.renparts.co.uk
yeh but i believe his was cat d.... probably means person who sold it you wanted to save the cash and not replace the airbag computer...

Breaking A 172 Replica
Yeah it was Cat C and I know the passenger side seat has been foam filled and stitched.

I did ask him if the airbags had gone off and he said they hadn't.

The airbag module is deffo kaput as IIRC it isn't even connected!

The pretensioner on the nearside has also fired.

Thanks for your help anyway guys

Sam

Clio's
how much do renault charge to turn the airbag light and serv warning light off or will it turn itself off once the airbag mpdule and a replacemetn airbag has been fitted?

Breaking A 172 Replica
Not sure matey.

Something tells me when it has been reset it will turn itself off aslong as the whole system has been replaced.

Sam

Chocolate Bar™
its a self testing system so if everything is connected then the lights will go off. i know hodgey had a few problems with his and ended up sending the ecu off to be unlocked - who knows lol

So let me get this straight... You bought a car that was CAT C knowly and now you are moaning that things arent right with it?

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Looks like it could be misrepresentation of the truth... If you asked the seller whether the airbags had gone off and they replied that they had not and you later found out they had then this is misrepresentation. You need proof of this in written form in order to have something to stand on, something like an advert or an email reply from the seller stating this. I'm not a law student… but I'm sure someone can reply to and explain further. In any case its un ethical.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Mells - I knew that car was CAT C, correct.

I am not moaning things aren't right with it. I knew the airbags had gone off. However I am currently in talks with the seller over a plate that he wants back but the DVLA want to call it in etc.

It would put me in a stronger position if I could say lets just leave the plate and I will forget about you covering the dash lights up.

Sam