ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If your car was off the road, what would you do to it?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
If you were able to take your car off the road for a couple of months, what jobs would you do to it?

Once I have my garage sorted, I plan on having a play with my 182. I'm unsure what to start with though, and ideally I want to start collecting parts.

My initial thoughts were:

Clean to within an inch of it's life
New seals all round (doors, windows etc)
Pollen Filter
Oil / Filter
Coolant change (brakes and break fluid recently done)
Gear box oil? Worth it? (I don't yet know how to do this)
Washer blanks, rather than the jets that don't work

I may also try to tidy up the engine bay, send a few bits off to be powder coated.

What else would you do?

RB Clio 182
If you were able to take your car off the road for a couple of months, what jobs would you do to it?

Once I have my garage sorted, I plan on having a play with my 182. I'm unsure what to start with though, and ideally I want to start collecting parts.

My initial thoughts were:

Clean to within an inch of it's life
New seals all round (doors, windows etc)
Pollen Filter
Oil / Filter
Coolant change (brakes and break fluid recently done)
Gear box oil? Worth it? (I don't yet know how to do this)
Washer blanks, rather than the jets that don't work

I may also try to tidy up the engine bay, send a few bits off to be powder coated.

What else would you do?

Mines been off the road five month, its still not fixed!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I may also do a suspension overhall. As my top mounts are going and as are my front shocks.

I have a 182 with Cup Packs, so I would need:

2 x http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-182-shock-absorber-front-cup-model/

2 x http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-182-shock-absorber-rear-cup-model/

Also

2 x http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-182-shock-absorber-top-mount-kit/

Any common bushes?

@Scrooge - Sorry for the tag dude. You know my car well! Wanting to have a go at it myself over summer once my garage is done.

Cheers

Only jobs I've ever needed a car 'off the road' for was a turbo rebuild, because it shat itself, or where there is a parts turnaround, anything else can be achieved by planning a saturday and leaving Sunday free in case it goes wrong and having an alternative option for work on monday (rarely needed).

Even powdercoating etc, personally Id source a used subframe etc, clean it and get it coated and built up with arb and bushes, balljoints etc and then swap them on a Sat.

Taking cars off the road results in them coming to bits and then never going back together, until people get pissed off and break them

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
No point changing all your seals if they're fine.

Id probably focus on the suspension if it's never been overhauled. Makes a world of difference.

Top mounts
Shocks
Springs
Wishbone bushes
ARB bushes
Steering rack bushes
Track rods + ends
Ball joints
Rear shock bushes

Then dependent on the condition of other pieces could do:

Brakes
Engine mounts
Fluids
Powdercoating etc

The bills soon add up though with the above lol.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Is it really worth the hassle for a month or two?

Realistically the only things I can think of that *need* the car off the road is the powder coating engine bits.
Yes! that £23 a month is a quarter of a track day in 2 months!

Mine has been off the road for months, it's really good at gathering dust.
If I had the money though I would rebuild the engine myself to learn about it, have a full cage fitted, rebuild the box and boost it. I'd also love to powdercoat a few bits just to make it look better but function over form usually. Realistically this is just what I plan to do anyway.
The last time I had my 182 off the road for a bit I did an EPAS conversion, overhauled the brakes and fitted an oil cooler.

M2 Comp
I would echo what @Arran_ said and go with a suspension refresh. I took my Trophy off the road early last year to do the same. I hadn't got any real experience working on cars, but was keen to give it a go and learn.

Here's how it's looking now (any excuse to post a few photos :tongueout:) ...

24169500476_6e374be15e_c.jpg
24112983381_6ffc06d431_c.jpg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Taking cars off the road results in them coming to bits and then never going back together, until people get pissed off and break them

This.

I've had one off the road for a couple of years now, trust me the longer it's not used the longer it stays not used.

And this.

Took my rally car "off the road" for a couple of months to give the interior a little freshen up. Three years later and it's still little more than a rolling shell!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I took mine off the road this winter. The jobs I did:
* Removed all remaining interior and painted the insides
* Put some of the interior back in
* Braided brake lines
* Full suspension change, with top mounts and rear arb

I wish I had done more, like change more bushes, gave the wheel arches/underneath a good clean and refurb. But I had a deadline which I wanted to meet, but that was pointless as I am not doing a track day this month and it is currently semi-broken!
But I only took it off the road as I don't live at home and I need a car for the week, and it gave me the option to not have it put back together Sunday evening. And I don't have a drive in my weekday address so it was left at my parents.

Planning on doing something similar next winter when I do engine upgrades:
* remove engine to be rebuilt or scrapped
* clean up engine bay
* maybeeee waste time and money on painting subframe and stuff like that
* put new engine in

Having two cars has been really useful I have found, especially these past few weeks when the Ph1 has been broken, or couldn't get it back together in time. Plus I am not worried or panicing when it isn't working as I am not dependant on it.
But I also second what has been said before about the longer it is left, then the chances it wont go back on the road increases! Set yourself a deadline and stick to it.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
No point changing all your seals if they're fine.

Id probably focus on the suspension if it's never been overhauled. Makes a world of difference.

Top mounts
Shocks
Springs
Wishbone bushes
ARB bushes
Steering rack bushes
Track rods + ends
Ball joints
Rear shock bushes

Then dependent on the condition of other pieces could do:

Brakes
Engine mounts
Fluids
Powdercoating etc

The bills soon add up though with the above lol.

Good list!

PH2 172

Modified top mount kit is probably best avoided.I had to remove threads from the new nut that replaces the 17mm nut & spacer to prevent it becoming thread bound before it made contact with the bearing.
Better to get original spec Fabi kit from eBay or reputable motor factor.

I cured an annoying rear end click/clonk,evident over bumps at slow speed,by replacing rear beam bushes with poly items.

172 Turbo
Mine was off the road for two months, November to Jan, I did:

Bodies,
Quaife & rebuilt box,
Whiteline,
Bilsteins.

It's a cracker now and done for hopefully 12 months, it had a full bush refresh last year.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Complete strip down, replace all problem fixings (subframe bolts, brake disc bolts), powder coat entire underside. Refit everything with correct torque and clean threads

I would echo what @Arran_ said and go with a suspension refresh. I took my Trophy off the road early last year to do the same. I hadn't got any real experience working on cars, but was keen to give it a go and learn.

Here's how it's looking now (any excuse to post a few photos :tongueout:) ...
I'e be painting the track rods, track rod ends and balljoints. Looks lovely now, but from experience they go rusty in no time at all.

M2 Comp
I'e be painting the track rods, track rod ends and balljoints. Looks lovely now, but from experience they go rusty in no time at all.

The inner tie rods have been zinc plated the same as all nuts and bolts.

As for the track rod ends and ball joints, they have been coated in Dynax-UC, it's a clear film, a bit like a lacquer, but is designed to prevent rust. I've heard good things, so I'm hopeful it keeps them rust-free!

M2 Comp
Excellent, I like the forward thinking! Looks a really nice job

Thanks mate. I'm sure it won't look as good with time, I still intend to use it as intended, but at least it should be mechanically sound (from a suspension/brakes PoV) for a good few years now.

Absolutely! I remember doing all the same work to a nova years ago, jacking it up a month later and going "oh" 😢 because I hadnt thought to protect those bits!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Dont do it.

Ive read tonnes of 'epic' rebuild threads where they never get finished or life gets in the way etc.

I said to myself I would fix/upgrade if broken, otherwise, just drive it.

That was over 6 months ago and the cars been on stands ever since, subframe/steering rack/engine loom/alternator etc. are all off the car, mold is growing inside and I still need to relocate the battery!

So easy to think that while its in bits just change this/that and it becomes something you wish you never started! I certainly do, as my cheap car to tinker with has been gathering dust for most of last year and all of this one!

Im really trying to push and get it running as soon as possible, but its just difficult with work/house/woman commitments!

TL;DR - Think long and hard before you take it out of commission, if possible I would source replacement bits and swap them over a weekend.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
If you do take it off the road, I'd say defo have a plan and stick to it. Maybe buy the parts first and then take it off the road, fit them then enjoy it. Mines been off the road I've over 18months now as I keep buying more parts and changing other things.
I've put it all back together ready to use and dismantled it completely again twice lol

RB 182 FF
First thing I'd do if you haven't done much spannering and not got any decent tools is buy a Halfords 200 piece tool kit or similar... I hadn't done much spannering on my vehicles due to lack of tools not knowledge as I've done spannering in my workplace (Greenkeeping). But doing it on your vehicles is so much more rewarding, you WILL enjoy it...

I definitely suggest gearbox oil and regularly, every 15k miles wouldn't be over the top on crappy Renault boxes, and it's easy....:up: