ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If you have a 172 can you please tell me what you think of it as a whole

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
its a good car when its not f**king up can be dere to run some times brakes abit week inside the seats are comfy handling not bad grip depends on tyres and conditions i dont think it has any sex appeal if you know nothing about clios you would think it was the same as a non sport

Lotus Elise 111R
Handling - great
Looks - understated, yet with pleasantly enlarged archs etc. Colour is key
Grip - plenty of it and pretty foolproof, understeer all day long when pushed.
Sex appeal - too understated, poss bit girly. Does'nt stop me owning it!

Forget how it looks, take a standard one a few miles down a quiet twisty road at speed, keeping the revs up and you will be hard pushed to find as much fun in a car twice the price.

PS you male or female?

mini cooper (RIP 172)
ive had mine a year!

great handling (even better with sportlines, will lower a bit as well;) )
looks good, not over the top
brackes are excellent, but can fade if used hard alot:eek:
grip good (if good tyers are on)
sex appeal - well it looks cute:rolleyes:

mpg not bad!

really for the ££/age you will have to look very hard to get a better car:D

Mk4 .:R32
one of the best little cars around for the money.

looks good (even better with a few select mods). not in your face.
good handling
grips well on good tyres (PE2s etc)
sex appeal - none really as it is still a clio.
mpg is very good imo

172 ff silver
one of the best handeling hatches ive driven (was in motor trade for 9 years)

looks understated which suits me now im 30 and dont want to look like a young boy racer anymore

breaks are spot on fade is no worse than any other car with standard breaks

bit flat below 5k rpm but its that constant changing down to keep it on cam that makes for an awsome drive and makes you feel like a rally driver :cool:

grip is very good with good tyres can be twitchy under hard breaking in the wet but same as anything really cups are worse tho with no abs

sex appeal is high to the more intellegent older girls that arnt impressed by 4 inch peco back boxes and 19" tsw venoms.....

buy one TBH

2003 MR2 Roadster
Looks good, interior good, equipment good, power good.
I'll be honest though I am no bowed over with the handling - lots of dangerous understeer unless very dry roads (will lowering help this?)

mini cooper (RIP 172)
I'll be honest though I am no bowed over with the handling - lots of dangerous understeer unless very dry roads (will lowering help this?)

good tyres are the key;) and progressive with the power!

and understeer is much safer then oversteer:quiet:

pug 106 rallye S2
great little car,
quick enough to play with the big boys but still decent on fuel... 13mile drive to work in moving traffic i get 46.5mpg!
great fun, understeer when hustled through corners but learn to lift at the right moment and it comes alive and corners like its on rails.. watch wet roads and get a gentle throttle action (spins up easily)
sex appeal is great everyone who has been in mine wants it! plus the missus wont let me sell it
flame red rules as best colour... slightly lowered, stainless exhaust (std ones fall off after about 5years!)
can be expensive to run esp if you drive it hard, had brake fade first time last night scary!
mine has had cambelt £450 (double for dealer) tyres, exhaust, cat, f-pads,battery,etc since june so not a buy and forget motor.. learn to do the little jobs yourself and save some money...
would i buy another one? definatly!

clio 172 cup
handle is gd well never crashed yet
brakes r s**t made worse if u have a cup with no abs
looks gd for the money alot of gadgets on the ff
performance lacks torque, ive been caught out by diesels b4 low down on rev but overtake them when cam is on

2003 MR2 Roadster

good tyres are the key;) and progressive with the power!

and understeer is much safer then oversteer:quiet:

This is true (as ex owner of a Capri 2.8i rear wheel drive!)-lethal in the wet!!

I just changed from worn Continentals (which were fab) to some middle of the range rubber which are crap - dont be tight when replacing tyres!!

gr8 hot hatch for the value , could do with some minor tweeking but on the whole the best car i've had to date

A4 Avant & A3
Owned a 172 cup for about 2 years (until a few days ago)
I loved it.
Handling was brilliant,
i love the look , although the cup is nicer ;-) sorry (colour & wheels & spoiler)
Brakes were really good, until they corrode & need replacing (after 14k!!!! rear & 21k Front!! appalling...)
Grip, i found it fine, as long as you don't drive like a tw*t in the wet!
Not sure about sex appeal, but the ladies always looked.. but to be fair it was probably at me ;-) (NOT)

Overall, i loved it & only got rid as i needed a bigger car (more doors)
Things to note, i had a low mileage 53 plate & it had new disks & pads all round, a new rear shock, & the steering wheel was made of cream cheese!! (isn't it supposed to be leather?... why do they melt?)
my '02 plate 85k mile golf steering wheel still looks like new! (makes you wonder??!!)

They have their faults, but i can't help but love it. & i'm sure you will too.
Best car i've had so far.. bags of fun.

BG 182
Great handling car overall, even better when lowered etc.. Looks wise for those people who don't know anything about Clio's then they would think its the same as a NON sport.. Different front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts and arches make the 172 look so much better! Very shexay indeed! And as for brakes.. they are top quality!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Had a couple over the last two years, and aside from dodgy HT leads, i cannot fault either of them.

For the money, they are excellent!

Clio 172 cup
I've had my 172 cup for about 1 month now.

Its fantastic. nothing for the price is going to keep up with it, brakes are good (no ABS on cups so you can really play with them)

Engine is good, it gets to 5000 and BANG, your gone.
Handling is excellent, grip is good (tyre dependent), gearbox feels nice.

MPG is good. just like any car really. if you open the taps then its gonna go down but if you just take it steady its great.

The only bit that annoys me is:

The clutch - The bite is really high and its a bit strange to get used to at first.

Other than that i love it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Handles well, gearbox's are s**t and WILL break if you drive spirited, sound crap, rattle, if it's standard exhaust will fall off, IMO always feel like they are about to break, other than that there very good.

Mine breaks down constantly, but people have better luck than me.

Clio 172 cup
The gearbox on mine feels good, not knotchy and the throw on the stick is nice and close, not like stirring soup.

If you slam it into gear alot then its gonna break.

As has been mentioned the standard exhaust is crap (its too thin) and will rust and fall off. but the OEM ones are more expensive than a stainless so once its gone it won't go again.

Again it comes down to how you drive it. essentially its a clio with a big engine.

172 ff silver
if anyone here has driven an audi tt thats a nice gearbox, or a bmw 3 series again nice

if youve driven a fiat punto thats a s**t gearbox or a mk 3 vw polo again feels crap

i would put the feel of a clio gearbox close to a punto TBH ;)