ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idle, power loss and slight misfire issues

02' PH1 172
Hey all, guess I'm another one suffering from this. Its doing my nutt in.

So let me give a very brief rundown on the history of my problem.

• Bought the car at 37000miles, belts and everything were changed
  • At first service, mechanic broke the knock sensor, didnt say anything, and when driving the car, anywhere around the 3k mark on the speedo, the car would bog down, misfire but not cut out, just continually lose power the longer my foot was held down. New knock sensor sorted this.
  • At around 50000 miles I began to notice that when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic (car getting hot, but not on the temp gauge), the revs that normally idle between 500 and 750rpm would occasionally blip themselves to about 1500rpm and then drop down to normal idle. This would happen pretty much the whole time in traffic, and once out of traffic, car would run a little nasty but be fine in a few mins. No other problems at all on all other driving conditions including track days.
  • I was in London for 2 years so car sat being drivin once a month by the folks. Got back (milage on about 59000miles) got stuck in a massive traffic jam, car started to blip as it did before in traffic, but got progressively worse, to the point that once it blipped and the revs started to come down, they wouldn't stop and the car cuts out.. in traffic.. and wont start unless pushed. Anyways, made it out, car starts to miss at about 3000rpm in all gears, drove it around on open road for about an hour, and it eventually became better and sorted itself.
  • At about 64000miles, I took the car for a detail wash, fools stuck a pressured hose in the engine bay and upon pickup of the car, badly misfired all the way home. Obv water in the plugs.
  • As it was due for another service and almost the belt service, I decided to replace the belts, plugs, oil, filter. Golt the plug wells dryed out and all the stuff put back in.
  • Cars running pretty good, but then speedo sensor goes and I replaced it.
  • Few days later car starts misfiring badly on start, narrow it down to the no.4 plug or lead.
  • Replace the leads with MSD 8mm ignition cables built into the orig HT lead ends. Sorted no problems and running good again
  • About a week later, car gets a slight miss in 5th and 4th, which does not happen very often, but the overall power on the car has gone to shite, and the miss is still there. Also my revs in traffic now are all over the place. Sometimes they are where they sould be, and other times, it just jumps continuously between 500 and 2000rpm, and then cuts out now and again.

Now from digging around, I know that it can be either the leads (pretty sure they are good tho), the coil pack, one of the many sensors or the injectors.

Another thing thats gone wrong, and I'm not too sure if this would cause the problem that I have, is that from removing the intake to get to the plugs so many times, the back two bolts on the intake have stripped, so its only held tightly down by the front three bolts.

Can anyone shed some light? Its getting dark in here and im scared :D

02' PH1 172
Could the manifold bolts being stripped do this, I'm not sure if its acting like it is because its not sealed properly..

02' PH1 172
sorry, got my numbers mixed up for the revs. Normally it sits at about 750rmp. The revs are also all over the place when driving at any speed really and you engage the clutch.

The idle control valve is the one stuck to the side of the throttle body isnt it?

Evo 8 MR
The issue with the revs sounds like your map sensor.

I snapped mine the other week (lol) and started it up to see how it was running and it wouldn't idle properly, the revs were up and down so I turned it off straight away.

The issue with regards to the misfire could be related to the coilpack, it's the most common thing that goes.

As for the bolts you've knackered I'd get some new ones in there just to rule that out.

02' PH1 172
haha, you just snapped it off.

I had the map sensor replaced a while ago, but I think it was with a second hand one, as i think they are all the same on the mk2 clio range, and they just grabbed one from the scrappers. Would I be able to find out exactly whats wrong with it if I had the car plugged in to the clip fault reader thing that they have at renault?

Ye, think today I am going to try get the bolts done and clean the throttle body out to see if that helps