ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

idea's on a check on cambelt timings?

Clio 1.5d Dynamique ('01)
Partners Clio is in for an MOT today, all OK apart from a tapping noise from near the cambelt, they don't want to touch it though, and can't pass the MOT until this has been looked at incase the cambelt snaps, they think it could be the timings of the cambelt. Any idea on how much something like this will cost? The cambelt was fitted about 16months ago and is now out of warranty.

BMW M135i
Not helpful I know but surely cambelt condition has feck all do with with issuing an mot? Don't remember seeing that on it.

Lionel Richie
yeah was going to say that has naff al to do with the MOT, the dci engine i know sod all about, all i know is its a right t**t to do the belt on them from what i've been told

Its to test the emissions, they say they have to give it quite a few revs and wasn't keen on booting it with the tapping noise as it is, even though we've known this noise for quite sometime. Suppose I could just get them to do it anyway, but if the cambelt did go, the mrs would be without a motor for a bit, cuz we defo dont have any dosh for an engine rebuild..... hence why i'm after a quick price for someone to inspect the cambelt area see if there's anything wrong.

A well built VW
They have to rev it and i have heard of some instances where they will not do it unless they know when the belt was last changed

there's not a list price that anyone knows of to simply check cambelt etc...? to see if its worn for starters, they dont have to remove everything just to find out that the belt's warn do they? I just need someone to look at it and see if theres something thats making the tapping noise....

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
cambelt should be changed after a certain amount of milage, or age,
just look in a haynes manual, if its not due to be changed, i wouldnt worry about it,
i had my mot done, and they didnt ask me anything about timing belt, its nothing to do with the mot, and my engine was on 76k on a belt that was meant to be changed at 72k,

but then it snapped shortly after :(

The belt was changed in June 2007. Few months after was when she noticed this tapping noise. She took it to a garage and was told it was a tappet and nothing to really worry about and that you can drive for miles with a tappet gone. It's been one of those things that we kept meaning to sort out but because we didn't think it was a priority, we were going to leave it and sort it out when her car is due for a service in January. Had we known or been informed it could have been something to do with the cam belt we'd have had it sorted well before now.

Last edited:
  Megane dci 130
Who done the cambelt?

These have floating cranks like the 2.0 and 1.6 ect. So doing them you need the right locking tools.

had the cam belt changed at a garage. Can't go back there as it's near where my mrs used to work about 50 miles away.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
timing may have slipped. if there is any noises or we dont know when the belt was done we will not do an mot

172 Race Car
my neighbours cambelt tensioner broke on an mot diesel emisons test. luckily it just jumped the pump timing and that stopped it. no bent valves, lucky fucker!

A mechanics had a butchers at my Mrs' motor at lunch, they reckon its a leaking injector, any idea on how much something like this would cost to put right? Hence why there was a tapping noise, due to pressure etc....

its in the garage today, so they're gona investigate and let me know. been told tho' that renault only stock the full set of 4 injectors, even though you can buy them elsewhere singly (providing the part numbers are ok)...
like i say its in the garage today, will post back what they reckon.

just had an update, it was indeed the copper washer that had packed up, so he's sorted that and cleaned it up a bit, put back together, now have the Combustion light on, done a diagnostics check and it highlighted cylinder no. 1, so he had a look and there's errosion on piston number 1, he's waiting now for someone to come and check it over... will report back when i know more!

Megane dci 130
Ohhh dear. Iv seen so many people f*ck these injectors up because they are soooo delicate. Any sort of handling can affect them. I take it its misfireing?

You can get injectors on there own from renault.

Mrs has just got home.... in her car.

They got a sparky out with a better diagnostics kit. Turns out the pistons are fine, the injector was partially siezed by some dirt causing the combustion light to come on. They gave it a flush out and everythings fine. They also put a new air filter on as the other was black from the crap the leaking injector had thrown out. Total damage was £170.

So not as bad as first thought.

'07 Impreza, 182 sold now
Its to test the emissions, they say they have to give it quite a few revs and wasn't keen on booting it with the tapping noise as it is, even though we've known this noise for quite sometime. Suppose I could just get them to do it anyway, but if the cambelt did go, the mrs would be without a motor for a bit, cuz we defo dont have any dosh for an engine rebuild..... hence why i'm after a quick price for someone to inspect the cambelt area see if there's anything wrong.

Not many garages will do an emission test on a diesel without having cambelt history because they have to rev it quite high to pass and if it did go whilst being tested... who you gonna blame?!