ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
This bit on the left me thinks.

IMAG0174.jpg

Ah oh that's fine it's thick wire reinforced. The white bands have wire under them

Lionel Richie
Yeah ali tube, with silicone joiners (or even plastic drain pipe LOL!) something a bit more rigid, the stock intake tube on a 172/182 can deform under induction and that's only a 2.0 sucking air in, not a turbo spinning at 130,000rpm!

BMW Z4
Yeah ali tube, with silicone joiners (or even plastic drain pipe LOL!) something a bit more rigid, the stock intake tube on a 172/182 can deform under induction and that's only a 2.0 sucking air in, not a turbo spinning at 130,000rpm!

I shall investigate a better solution.

Looks fantastic! Quick question how do you wire the buttons in with a removable steering wheel?

Can't wait to see this meg trophy.

182 trackday racer
Lets hope your Life-Line boss holds up better than mine have. Had it for two years and it has now developed some play, not exactly what you'd expect from such an expensive product. I will return it during the winter.

I cant comment on there long term lifespan but I`ve welded 3 of those bosses onto various colomns in the past and have to say from new they seem a very very good fit, certainly no play from new.....

BMW Z4
She lives
biggrin.gif

Hall switch was round the wrong way oddly. Few small niggles on the loom I.E you cant turn the car off LOL and the kill switch dont work. Nothing that can't be sorted. I am told the engine sounds very sweet. Being mapped now.

BMW Z4
So A brief race report. LOL

Saturday the car presented itself with a range of electrical faults that kept changing every 30 mins. Much consternation ensued and also much changing of everything we could think of and then changing it again. I missed scrutineering and then qualifying and then the race and we kept at it. I was pissed

OFF

12 hours later Rob and I sat looking at each other and I said what havnt we checked. The relays he says. OK lets check em. He sticks his head behind the panel they are mounted on and says hmm there is a big thick earth wire here mounted onto a bulkhead bolt. Hmm the 13mm nut is loose on it.

Tighten it up and et voila everything works.

MORAL:

NEVER GIVE UP

LESSON:

Electricity is like magic and I f**king hate it, a lot.

Sunday.

The starter motor I bought on Saturday as part of the things we changed won't engage and needs modyfying so Rob starts to do that. He then sits in the car and presses the brake pedal 15 mins before we go to scrutineering and says to me should the brake pedal go to the floor like that. No I say, I look in the back and one of the rear brake lines has come off and shed all its fluid in the car. I run up to scrutineering to ask if we can be late while they fix it and bleed the rear brakes in 15 mins flat!!!!

We pass scrutineering and I set about qualifying. I have new front pads so did the first 5 laps quite slowly so as not to glaze them up and then pit. We check tire pressures and I set off again and start to push on, the power steering rack fails again! Smoke everywhere and I have to pit again, session over and back for repairs.

Quali in 41st LOL out of 44 My teamate and partner Darren is on Pole and I am at the back which is a very novel experience for me I can tell you. He laughs. A lot.

Back to the pits and we discover the rack has the wrong fluid in it and we can't fix it. Ill drive it with a manual rack I say to which I get some guarded looks! Now I know why.

Race on and we are off. I settle in at the back and start to pick people off wrenching my arms from my sockets as I struggle to turn in. It's actually a very good experience as you get to learn to handle lots of traffic which you don't get from the front. We do our pit and I am in 20th I think and moving through the field. The car is overheating for some reason and I notice the alarm on my dash at 125c and slow down and do the lap back to the pits. The car cuts out as I pull in and race over. I will strip the enigne now to check its ok and figure out why it keeps overheating, air lock we think.

So all in all a great weekend which I enjoyed a lot. I did a grand total of 15 laps and it has cost 15 MSU's in total which in motorport terms is good value for money!

The car is actually very fast and now I can develop it, fix the issues we teased out of it and put it on pole in 6 weeks time at Silverstone. God I LOVE motorsport a LOT.

Engine Strip

Big end destroyed
Rod fucked and both either side according to Arrow
Block fucked
Piston busted
Piston hit head underside fucked

Great

Total rebuild :(

LESSON

Don't ignore your f**king alarms you f**king moron just because you're enjoying yourself on a hot day

182cup & 172 racecar
Lol Mark!!

Welcome back to motorsport, sounds like a very eventful (expensive) day. When ours blew, all the gauges were saying STOP!!, but I knew it was past saving, so just kept going.

If I'm free on your Silverstone outing, I'll come and say hi. :)

​What's the date?

BMW Z4
Lol Mark!!

Welcome back to motorsport, sounds like a very eventful (expensive) day. When ours blew, all the gauges were saying STOP!!, but I knew it was past saving, so just kept going.

If I'm free on your Silverstone outing, I'll come and say hi. :)

​What's the date?

Id gone from 41st to 19th by the pit and was really enjoying myself and just sort of thought if I ignore it it will cool down ROFL. 7th Sept Tony. Be great to see you. making loads of improvments with this rebuild so should be much better.

Ceramic coated Turbo, Mani and downpipe
Electric water pump
Evans waterless coolant
Vented bonnet
19 row oil cooler
Remove water cooled audi oil cooler
Bit more heat shielding

That lot should sort my overheat issues out nicely.

A friend of mine had issues with the water pump on his audi TT, the vanes came loose?? Or span in the shaft??

I cant remember exactly now...

Definatly sounds like a catalogue of gremlins for you... onwards and upwards as they say!!

BMW M135i
A friend of mine had issues with the water pump on his audi TT, the vanes came loose?? Or span in the shaft??

I cant remember exactly now...

Definatly sounds like a catalogue of gremlins for you... onwards and upwards as they say!!

The plastic empellers fall to pieces.

BMW Z4
The plastic empellers fall to pieces.

So I have a new head with new seat cuts and my race valves and double springs in it
A new block nicely honed
A new crank nicely polished
New Woosner rings
New Arrow rods
ACL race bearings
Pistons all cleaned up and shiney
All my ceramic coating stuff back
Leccy water pump

BIG build this weekend.

BMW Z4
The big build ground to a snotty halt as my rods didn't fit my wrist pins Arrhhhh.

Seems they were not ground quite enough. Done now! Chris and I will finish the engine off on Friday this week.

BMW Z4
So some more pictures for you.

A nice shot of the mess you make when you overheat an engine! Dont do it.

IMAG0223.jpg

The piston had hit the head as you can see

IMAG0226.jpg

And knackered the crank too

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

And then bust the piston

IMAG0230.jpg

And the rod for good measure

IMAG0232.jpg

My new engine block BWA £195 quid non runner. A risk

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

A vaneless water pump

IMAG0251.jpg

I dont think I will have a heat issue anymore

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

A hopefully metal free oil filter housing

IMAG0257.jpg

My new crank fitted. This had the smaller oil pump chain wheel on it. So I pulled it off with my puller and tapped on the AXX bigger one.

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

More to follow...

BMW Z4
Bugger. went to fit the cams on Friday and noticed for the first time that two lobes have gone to points :( So I need two new cams as well pooo. Sending them off to CatCams today in Belgium. My lifters are also scored so I will put a new set of those in while I'm at it.

As far as engine blow ups go I don't do things by half's it seems :banghead:

BMW Z4
I could have saved myself all this hassle and cost had I pulled off the track when I felt the bearing go :quiet:

172 cup, Impreza P1
What can you say, bad luck mate! Onwards and upwards and fair play to you as many would've thrown in the towel by now.

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

BMW Z4
What can you say, bad luck mate! Onwards and upwards and fair play to you as many would've thrown in the towel by now.

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

I now know why in F1 they are so keen to tell them to stop and turn it off before it blows LOL. Lesson learned.