ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

TrackCar & F30 330d
We discussed this long and my point was I can spend a grand a corner on shox but at the moment I cant drive, well i can but I need to learn and because of that I did'nt want to go silly on suspension as im not going to notice the difference because im not good enough to really make it work.

KW V2 is a very good shock and will allow me to learn and then upgrade later where at that point I will see the difference.

That sound like a sensiable plan. Things like building race cars is its 90% prep in deciding what to have and spec and then 10% putting it all together.

Have you pulled the magic Number 22 fuse out of your aston?

BMW Z4
There is also an apsect of turning up with all the kit and then being toilet and looking silly :) Anyway matt said the V2's are fine for track day trophy and that's my first port of call.

Fuse 22 came out on day one, with super unleaded it pops like anything.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Haha my old man has a DB7 GT and we pulled fuse 22 out a little while ago.....EPIC exhaust note.

Fuse 22 makes the silencer bypass valve open all the time instead of at 4000rpm so they sound quality.

Anyway iceman get on with the build! ;)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Am I right in thinking your doing track day trophy first? How much does each event cost??

Be tempted next your should I decide to cage and strip

BMW Z4
Yes Dave we are. It will give us valuable experience and of course Nick and Chris also have a Clio so we will be racing against each other and now my bro and pep have said they are going to enter their 306GTi too :) Should be fun and that what motrosport is all about huh. Here is the website with all the info

http://www.trackdaytrophy.co.uk/

Mark.

PS £325 I think

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
whens the next big build mark? better get a wiggle on ;) If not, buy that cup racer of ebay and save some time :cool:

TrackCar & F30 330d
As your racing the car I would recommend you going for wheels which are strong more than light. The 2118's which everyone bums on there are very strong but are quite heave. What's your budget for wheels and how many are you going to buy with that budget?

Qashcow
Yep, I've buckled 2 now just on road and track, bouncing the odd kerb but nothing major like in racing.

In certain things, heavy and strong can be better, although f1's are plentiful and fair priced I'd be tempted to stick with these?

Golf GTD Mk7
Speedlines are the oem racer ones, so they must be strong enough. Just avoid magnesium ones and try not to butcher the curbs too much ;)

BMW Z4
The next big build is 8 days and counting. Most of the brake stuff has had to be custom made which is why there has been a few weeks lag. Plus I then wanted it all anodised in blue too :).

Rang Matt yesterday and all is on track for me to pick the bits up early on the 3rd and then its Thursday and Friday all day and night in the garage and then back to Matts on Saturday morning for wiring, dash, switch panel, roll cage fit (plus other bits and pieces) paint interior white, fuel lines, custom fuel rail, engine mounts, air filter, custom rad and fan.

Then back to me to put the cleaned and painted engine and box back in fit the seat and harness, plastic windows and start it up. Then back to Matts for first map and to talk about tuning, ecu, diffs and all the other things I have forgotten. Pheww lots do do then.

Mark.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Sounds like this is going to be an excellent car, mines with matt at the moment, he certainly knows his stuff. I've had update emails throughout, you wouldn't get that through anyone else.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wow when you put it like that it sound like you have a LOT of work to do. What air filter are you going for? I've tryed a few air filters on my itb's and some are rubbish

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
For wheels, I'd go for Pro Race 1.2's, relatively cheap, relatively strong, relatively light, and very easy to replace. Sort of jack of all trades.

Call the guys at Rimstock in the Motorsport dept. they'll help with pricing and supply of a couple of sets.

BMW Z4
Undecided Chrisp possibly the same one they use on the cup car, its a point to chat over with Matt, he did send me some pics of different ones. I forgot to add Im having a custom exhaust made with possibly a large centre exit, should look nice.

Yes a LOT to do which is why I have taken two days off to do my part :) I don't have the luxuary of evenings sadly :( This is one of the reasons I'm using Matt (not the only one) as it would take me ages to get it done if I only used the weekends I am in the UK and not to mention that at those times I have to pleasure the girlfriend ;)

BMW Z4
March Update

Hi Guys

A long awaited update I know. We had some problems with parts delivery but are still on track :) I must appologise for some of the blurry shots, they looked fine on the camera screen when I took them but full size look, yeh blurry. I will address that. Ok Here goes.

This is my nice new Sadev wheel mmm

sadevwheel.jpg

My nice new brake lines

brakelines.jpg

And my new powerflex bushes

bushes.jpg

I cleaned the engine bay ready for the new subframe to go back in

cleanenginebay.jpg

And also blasted and painted the front hubs and the rear axle as they were very rusty

rearaxle.jpg

fronthubs.jpg

Assembled the dogbone, going to run two of these by the way, one at the front aswell.

dogbone.jpg

I would like to thank Chrispy for the following :) I went to assemble the subframe and could not remember how it went back together LOL

chrispy.jpg

So First I welded in the solid bushes to the rear axle

axlesolidbush.jpg

axlesolidbush2.jpg

And then fitted the bearings in them

axlesolidbush3.jpg

axlesolidbush4.jpg

Then fitted the rear axle and put the rear brake lines on

rearbrakelines.jpg

And fitted the rear Brembo discs and callipers not forgetting the pads of course

bremboreardisc.jpg

bremboreardisc2.jpg

rearcalliper.jpg

Now onto assembling the subframe

subframe1.jpg

subframeassembly.jpg

Assemble the wishbones with the new bushes in them. Of course I put them together on purpose without welding them in because im a tw*t and just f**king love doing jobs twice :(

wishbones.jpg

wishbonebush.jpg

Put the front ARB on. Nifty trick here. Grip the Clamp in large grippers in the centre and then nip the corner of it with mole grips, then put the bolt through. 2 mins a side doing it this way :)

frontarb2.jpg

frontarb3.jpg

frontarb.jpg

frontarb.jpg

Now take the whole thing and put it back in the car

subframeincar.jpg

Left side

subframeincar2.jpg

Right Side

subframeincar3.jpg

And underneath

subframeunderneath.jpg

The next update will include

Suspension
Front brakes and lines
Front discs and callipers
More interior work and glass removal
Engine and gearbox clean and refit

Should get this lot done by end of March

Oh yes I shot my mates 50 cal here the other day. Would not want to get hit by it!

50cal.jpg

eagle.jpg

Could not hit this target at all!

1000metrebisley.jpg

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
christ, why the hell has he got a 50 cal!! Should of used it to get the old bushes out. flol @ picturing that

nice work on the subframe

TrackCar & F30 330d
Lots of nice goodies!

Subframe and bits look great :) I found it a right pain in the ar** getting the inner ARB brackets back on, took ages! Glad my pics helped :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Nice work again mate, orange looks good. Do you not need to tack the wishbone powerflex sleeves in?

BMW Z4
Hi Chaps

The 50cal is here in Switzerland :) You can have any gun you like here, my mate turned up at the shooting club with a bag full of guns and ammo, quite bonkers really how lax it is compared to the Uk. Yes the long range target is at Bisley where I shoot F/TR class. Shooting that desert eagle showed me what a silly weapon it is. Totally impractical and wildley inaccurate.

Yes I need to take the wishbones off again to weld/tack the bushes in as I forgot to do that :( Still on track though. First race is in July so plenty of time to enjoy the build and not feel rushed.

PS
Going to paint the callipers either black or blue (undecided) as my wheels will be orange.

Qashcow
Fred, you know too much x

Ah, tripod supported and target rifle eh. I won a comp last time I was at bisley and won a bottle of port at 15, funny enough I didn't drink port at that age!!

Trophy #382
Hi Chaps

The 50cal is here in Switzerland :) You can have any gun you like here, my mate turned up at the shooting club with a bag full of guns and ammo, quite bonkers really how lax it is compared to the Uk. Yes the long range target is at Bisley where I shoot F/TR class. Shooting that desert eagle showed me what a silly weapon it is. Totally impractical and wildley inaccurate.

Yes I need to take the wishbones off again to weld/tack the bushes in as I forgot to do that :( Still on track though. First race is in July so plenty of time to enjoy the build and not feel rushed.

PS
Going to paint the callipers either black or blue (undecided) as my wheels will be orange.

Yea I have heard that about switzerland lol. How do you get on at the F/TR? Im planning on having a go soon.

I would say orange wheels and calipers :)

Kepp up the good work!

BMW Z4
Yea I have heard that about switzerland lol. How do you get on at the F/TR? Im planning on having a go soon.

I would say orange wheels and calipers :)

Kepp up the good work!

Love it. The organiser is also my gunsmith and made me a cracking system gemini 308 winchester with an NSX scope (and bipod) I will post some pics. Got the first league shoot at Diggle in April. Did the European champs in November and realised how hard it is at 1000 metres!!