ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iceberg 172 goes Sprinting

Advanced warning, this is going to be a slow burn thread :cautious:

Having decided I needed to get back into mtorosports in some way, I decided that in 2019 I would try some Autosolo's, but having joined Sevenoaks & District Motor Club I somehow found myself signed up to the 2019 Sprint league. Having loitered around some of the events in 2018 I had already decided that in Standard Production class a 172 or 182 would be ideal and late last year I bought @Mbeau 's Iceberg 172 Cup.

So over the last few months I've been researching, collecting bits and generally making plans. I've started to buy the stuff I need, got my race licence and so there's not a lot to hold me back. In my class, the regs allow for certain mods so I may fit some seats, a harness and grab a set of 15" wheels that will as much as anything make the tyre budget stretch a bit further ...

I'm helping at a sprint event in a couple of weeks and a last chance to check I have everyhting sorted and assuming all goes to plan I'll be competing from June onwards. Objective for 2019 is to not break the car and have fun, if I manage to not always be last then that'll be a bonus.

The car was already in great shape but as the weather has been so good, it was time to get the wheels off, check everything is in order and give it a good clean. My only worry now is that this one is too good to be competing with and I should get myself another ...

Anyway, enough chat for now and here's a few pictures from this weekend's efforts.

P3241738.JPG

P3241728.JPG

P3241739.JPG

P3241752.JPG

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

Attachments

• P3241742.JPG
    P3241742.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 407
Looks great. What upgrades do you have to do for Sprint?

I'm planning to enter into Production Standard 2 class, so that's 1400-2000cc and no mods except safety items. So cage, seats, harnesses, brake pads allowed but nothing else. You have to mark tow eyes, wrap your battery negative lead in yellow tape, have a sticker to show which way to turn key to turn off ignition - seems a bit trivial but I guess it helps marshals when dealing with unfamiliar vehicles whilst under pressure. If you do have to replace something it's OEM or pattern. That's the attraction for me, keep it standard.

One of the interesting things is that forced induction attracts a capacity multiplier of 1.5 or 1.7, so something like a Mini Cooper S or 206 GTi even though they are 1600cc, due to turbo they are classed as 2400cc and therefore into the 2000cc+ anything goes class.

As it's governed by Motorsports UK you do need a non-race competition licence, some gear (helmet, racesuit, gloves), magnetic number panels and a few other bits & pieces. Oh and the tyre list is fixed too, pretty much most usual tyres are OK but semi slicks and some of the softer sports tyres are out.

Of course you can run a stripped car but that puts you into the modified classes with the big boys...

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Subscribed to this , as I was toying with buying this car for a while before you bought and I run standard production with my p1 in the hsa and Midland speed championship ..so will be interested to see your progress ..I'd check on the regs regarding the 15s tho ..as the cup never offered them as an option ..so technically not allowed ..( that's my understanding from the blue book) ..car looks great , but needs to be enjoyed round some circuits ?.

Subscribed to this , as I was toying with buying this car for a while before you bought and I run standard production with my p1 in the hsa and Midland speed championship ..so will be interested to see your progress ..I'd check on the regs regarding the 15s tho ..as the cup never offered them as an option ..so technically not allowed ..( that's my understanding from the blue book) ..car looks great , but needs to be enjoyed round some circuits ?.

Good point about the wheels, maybe I need to consider other options.

It's been a while but today I finally particpated in my first sprint down at Lydden Hill. Unfortunately I was a bit pre-occupied to take many pictures but I do have some in car footage that I'll upload and share later.

The day was full of firsts; first sprint event, first time on a track in a fwd car, first time at Lydden Hill, first time driving the Clio really hard, nothing like piling on the pressure. Anyway, I achieved my objective of not coming last in my class and the car felt great. Obviously a lot to learn and get familiar with the car, but the biggest challenge was judging how hard I could brake and I had quite a big lock up on one run.

Now starting to look at which event next, I have an option to return to Lydden Hill next month but may visit North Weald first as that is much more forgiving and it'll be safer to see how far I can push it without tyre barriers !

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

Was wondering how you'd got on, well done on first race, car looks really clean too! Will have to sort a 172 Cup sprint meet as there seems to be a few of us!

That was a better day, getting more familar with the car so managed to shave about 1s of the lap time on each timed run. Started at 99s, finished on 95s.

Better news is that the class leader posted the same time for the last two visits to Lydden Hill at 90 sec ish. So last time I was 8s off the pace, yesterday it was only 5s.

Also, some fantastic kit being given the beans round the track so thank goodness there's a class hierarchy :cool:

The chap with the 911GT2, also has a Ferrari 458 and a 911GT3RS, drives them like he stole them and is well into his 80s o_O

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

Oooh, Lotus Sunbeam. I'm sorry but I'd sell the Clio for one of these ....

IMG_3342[crop].jpg

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Oooh, Lotus Sunbeam. I'm sorry but I'd sell the Clio for one of these ....
Snap especially a moonstone blue one. I built an Avenger with a zetec in it some time ago, that was a fun car not quite the same but not far off.

Last time out, cornering left & right definitely felt a bit different but as the car on track is still quite new to me I wasn't sure if it was real or just in my head :unsure:

So, time to take off all the wheels and have a good look around. The nearside rear shock looked beyond it's best, so time for some TLC. I'm quite happy with engines and even gearboxes, but never touched suspension before. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to swap out the read shocks.

For good measure and to make sure I have a good known start point, I'll be swapping out the fronts too as soon as the weather allows.

Can you guess which one is knackered?

The next problem is that having nice new shocks wants me want to clean up the rear beam, hubs etc etc. Does the list of stuff to do ever end :oops:

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

Encouraged by the straight forward job of changing the rears, I thought I'd now tackle the fronts using the excellent thread in the guides section ( https://www.cliosport.net/threads/g...n-suspension-struts-springs-with-pics.319663/ )

Fairly easy, the only challenging bit it trying to align the hub to damper, getting the bolt holes to line up, supporting the hub and slotting everything into place at the same time. I could have done with a couple of extra arms :D

New disks and refurbished calipers will follow soon, so I'll clean up and paint hubs at that time.

Anyway, all done now and even a celebratory flyby by the BFF (Biggin Hill airshow today close by)

IMG_3771.JPEG

IMG_3737.JPEG

IMG_3774.JPEG

IMG_3777.JPEG

IMG_3778.JPEG

Despite my apparent success at swapping dampers, I wanted it checked over, everything measured and aligned.

As it happens one of the CS traders, Yaser ( @almaghrbi ) of Kent Motorsport is just around the corner so I spent an enjoyable morning watching him give it all the once over. It was great to be able to hang around, take some pics and ask a bunch of dumb questions whilst is was done old school with time and patience. I have a much better understanding of the measurements and how they interact with one another now. Apart from way too much toe in on the front, it was all pretty good.

Even got the car weighed - 1020kg :cool:

With new dampers and now the alignment done, it certainly feels better and the rear doesn't crash about so much so I'd certainly recommend Yaser if you need your suspension setup.

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 252
Contemplating and building enthusiasm to replace my old discs and crusty calipers with this lot. Thinking about the best way to go about it given I don't have access to a lift.

I'm thinking of swapping the calipers over and a rough bleed corner by corner starting with the rear and once it's all done, then do a full fluid change. Also, probably days before I even start, I'll remove each wheel and check all the bolts are going to undo without a fight. Sods law says it'll be the last one that would otherwise put up a fight and I'd end up with 3 of 4 done.

Any views on effectiveness of the various ezibleed/sealy bleed kits?

IMG_3862.jpg

It's been a while and I still haven't got around to sorting the brakes as I wanted to wait until the motorsport season was over. However, the as the exhaust has developed a blow, I've given into the inevitable and bought a new cat back system and so the car is will be getting a full going over very soon which will include the brake swap.

As far as the motorsports goes, I had a fun time at the Sevenoaks & District Motor Clubs annual Autosolo events in the last couple of months managing a 3rd in class. These events are not too serious but great fun where hooing around the Brands Hatch paddock car park/rally stage doing handbrake turns is actually encouraged. I discovered that pumping up the rears to a million PSI helps to loosen up the back on a damp surface :cool: I've added a few picture below.

Finally, for a laugh I asked for an insurance quote for my 17 year old daughter who is learning to drive - £7,500 :ROFLMAO: So I bought a tidy little mini as a run around for me and something that won't cripple me to insure her on ....

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

Quick update: as the exhaust arrived earlier than expected, there was a break in the rain and in best Clarkson under estimation I thought "how hard can it be?" I decided to crack on and get it changed.

The first thing that became clear immediately was one of the sources of the blow and where that rusty nut I found on my driveway had come from :oops:

Secondly, given my bumper has been cut previously, I decided for a straight out tail pipe (I have another uncut bumper if/when I want to go completely standard but finding a new original exhaust has been impossible). My thinking was that it'll surely line up :rolleyes:

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

It's been too damn wet to do much so I still have calipers, discs and pads to fit. First event of the season is next weekend, just an autosolo so it'll be last outing before I do get on a sort those bits. I have a slow puncture and peeling lacquer on the turinis so I have finally got around to getting some new rubber for the 2118s and they will stay on board for now. It has made me realise how rusty my nuts are :ROFLMAO:

Non-std 15"s are OK for the autosolos but the turinins will need to be back before the first sprint.

I have managed to fill the gap in the bumper though.

IMG_5037.jpg
IMG_5038.jpg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Great work.

On the Lydden sprint subject... I’d like to do something like this in my 172. Is it an actual series of sprints you have to enter or would I be able to just do the odd sprint day at Lydden?

On the Lydden sprint subject... I’d like to do something like this in my 172. Is it an actual series of sprints you have to enter or would I be able to just do the odd sprint day at Lydden?

Sprints all have their own individual regs but run under the Motorsport UK rules. Therefore you need a Motorsport RS Inter Club licence and at least some basic safety equipment. The clubs that run the events will also insist that you are a member of their club or one of the invited clubs but it seems that most clubs invite all other clubs in their region.

The Motorsport UK rules have been relaxed for 2020 so if you're in road going class, I think it's just a suitable helmet now. It used to be racesuit etc but to be honest I'd personally still look to wear one. This class means no mods at all, except 'safety' equipment so some seats, harness, cage is ok and brake pads - that's all. If you want to mod beyond that you go up to higher classes and then racesuits become mandatory again and you're starting to play with the big boys :oops:

Are you in the SE? If so let me know roughly where and I'll find out who the local club is for you.

Everything you need to know about the rules are in here --> https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Blue-Book-2020-Reduced-2.pdf

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, appreciate the reply. I’m in Ashford.

I just fancied the idea of a sprint at Lydden rather than a track day but I guess it makes sense being licence etc. It was more that I couldn’t commit to lots of sprints all over the country so wondered about entering stuff like this as a once or twice a year.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The Motorsport UK rules have been relaxed for 2020 so if you're in road going class, I think it's just a suitable helmet now. It used to be racesuit etc but to be honest I'd personally still look to wear one. This class means no mods at all, except 'safety' equipment so some seats, harness, cage is ok and brake pads - that's all.

That's standard class, up to max 2000cc and 2wd, and the only modification you can do from standard is brake pads. Most people with roadgoing cars compete in roadgoing production which requires you to have a helmet and suit, gloves and boots are free.

But to answer @jameswrx go have a play! You could also have a go at autosolo which is cheap and doesn't require safety equipment.

That's standard class, up to max 2000cc and 2wd, and the only modification you can do from standard is brake pads. Most people with roadgoing cars compete in roadgoing production which requires you to have a helmet and suit, gloves and boots are free.

But to answer @jameswrx go have a play! You could also have a go at autosolo which is cheap and doesn't require safety equipment.
Thanks, I always get the two the wrong way around.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I’m in Ashford.

I just fancied the idea of a sprint at Lydden rather than a track day but I guess it makes sense being licence etc. It was more that I couldn’t commit to lots of sprints all over the country so wondered about entering stuff like this as a once or twice a year.

If you just fancy something other than a track day, have a look at autosolos. Much lower key, pretty much as fast as you can around a course set out with cones. I'm doing one next sunday (15th) at Brands Hatch. I know it's the other end of kent but call by if you fancy having a look.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Popped along to brands this morning, looks pretty fun and will have a go when I get my arse in gear & get cambelt sorted.

Take it you didn’t go? Didn’t see your car, only two Clios (a normal non RS and a late 200 I think) lots of mx5’s though.

James, yes unfortunately something cropped up so I had to bail. The 200 is John who I'm usually sparing with, not sure who the other Clio was though.

I'll let you know when I'm next at Lydden if you want to pop along and see what a Sprint is like.

So, with the motorsport season cancelled for however long and the £300/year road tax due at the end of the month, I think it's time to sorn the cup and do all those things I've been putting off. Time to make a proper list.

Hopefully that means I'll be back soon with some updates.

In these very unusal times, I'm fortunate to have a job where I can work at home but I've found myself not being very good at having a fixed end to my day and end up working more hours than I would usually. So, even though I can't go anywhere I have decided to take a days holiday and get started on the brake overhaul that I've been meaning to do for so long.

I decided on a cautious approach, ensuring everything would come undone and I had all I need before going beyond the point of no return, this unfortunately has meant an early finish today :(

Following fubarNet's guide for rear disk swap gave me a lot of the info, but I workied out the handbrake route & adjustment and the brake pipe routing too as I will be swaping calipers as well. I might even write my own guide to cover these extra bits.

My biggest fear was that the brake pipe would be siezed in the caliper, it wasn't but the end fitting is siezed to the pipe so I expect to damage the pipe splitting the two. Fortunately I have a spare pair of rear brake pipes, so I will be changing them anyway.

With my trusty socket set and a 24" breaker bar everything has come apart fairly easily but one of the handbrake cables look ready to snap so I've dashed off an order to RPD and will focus on having a tidy up whilst it's in pieces waiting for the new cables to arrive.

B2C77E05-B5D6-4DAE-8067-7A3107C3267A.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_5134.jpg

Cleaning, painting and new brake lines. I have a spare rear beam that'll be getting the full refurb treatment and swapped over in due course but I couldn't put the new brakes on without a bit of a tidy.

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

All done. After a pause to wait for new handbrake cables to arrive, I've set about finishing off the brake refit. Refurbed calipers, new discs, pads, brake fluid, braided hoses at the front and replacement brake lines at the rear plus a good old clean and tidy up too.

Made good use of my Wera pocket toolkit, teeny but great for those hard to get at places.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg