ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I want a 172, but cant decide if its worth it

Megane 225 F1
Ok i have a 1.4 atm. White turinis, prospeed exhaust, cobra seats.. (basically look here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=463985)

Any way, i want a 172 (ph1 or 2, cant decide yet). Insurance will be 1500 which in my eyes isnt that bad considering im paying 1100 now. Im 20, no ncb and will be driving 3 years begining of december.

So do you think selling my 1.4 for x amount and buying a 172 is worth it? I dont even know how much mine is worth but im going with 3-4k.

I just can decide :(

Not a 320d
Yeah why not, sell it standard and transfer your mods over. I personally wouldnt buy a car that was older or had higher mileage than my current one. Itd have to be a ph2 though.

Can you afford it ? A car really isnt worth skinting yourself for.

Megane 225 F1
Running costs arent an issue. I am looking more into ph1 at the moment. Just love that standard look :D

Oh im just about to tax, mot, service and replace windscreen on my 1.4 lol.

Would want to get coilys and a stealth exhaust. Its do-able with money.

Megane 225 F1
Dont want a 106/vts any more. was considering one as a stepping stone but cant be bothered with the hassle.

I still have to wait until jan to do it as thats when my insurance renewal is and they want £250 to change to a 172 now lol

CLIO PH1 172
do it u wont be disapointed and i reckon you could get cheaper insurance than 1500 im in exactly same situation as you 20 3yrs ncb but i have 3points n pay £1000 with direct line

PH1 172 FTW

ph2 iceburg 172
at the end of the day its your choice, its very easy on here to go "go for it" or "why not" the reality is can you afford it, we dont know your fiancial status. full time work, other commitment ect. i was in the same boat of yourself recently when buyin mine, i can justify it as i still live at home and work full time but it may not be the same in your case. no point in buying a car that you like but cant afford to keep and end up using up all your money on.

Titanium 182
TBH if you're buying a ph1 service it yourself and keep the receipts (Date them and write mileage on them)

It's not exactly hard to service them, my last service cost me about £40 including oil & filters.

330i. E30 Touring.
It all depends how they're driven, really.

Mine got driven hard, and i paid the price. Poodle around and it'll cost you not much more to run than your 1.4.

Megane 225 F1
Im gettin R1XPH to service mine with me in the next few
weeks. Cheaper. So servicing isnt that much of a problem.

I drive my 1.4 hard because i want speed but a 172 i wont drice as hard because its fast anyway lol

Clio 1970000000
No brainer.......YES. The 172 will be much more than your 1.4 with mods as long as you can afford it. Why don't you drive one then you will know for sure.

330i. E30 Touring.
LOL! Trust me.

You will.

You'll then drive the 172 hard because you want it to be M3 fast.

CLIO PH1 172
you WILL still drive it hard, its the only way too drove it lol ...... well i do any way, saying that iv only had it a few weeks so far so the novilty hasnt worn off yet

Titanium 182
They're not even that expensive to run, fuel is the biggest thing not as good as people make them out to be (Not terrible though). Parts wise you can always source something second hand on the cheap if needs be.

They're not even that expensive to run, fuel is the biggest thing not as good as people make them out to be (Not terrible though). Parts wise you can always source something second hand on the cheap if needs be.

Not many sub 7 second 0-60 cars can achieve 30+ mpg comfortably.

Titanium 182
Mines struggles to stay above 29 tbh. All I do is drive the fucker in and out of Leeds everyday.

330i. E30 Touring.
I found about 310-50 miles to a tank. Dependant on how I drove.

Was about £40-5 to till at the time..

JJT

1.4 16v Dynamique+
Im in exactly the same situation, in feb when its time to renew im going to look into a 172 over my 1.4. I get bored, the same as most people, and just crave more power. If i can afford even with a few sacrifices im going to go for it. I only get about 35mpg atm cos i drive it pretty hard so fuel hopefully wont be that different.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How many miles can you get out of a tenner?

How tight is Dolly Partons slit?

Itll change with the 20,000 variables involved in fuel consumption.

No two cars will be the same, tyre pressure,engine wear,window up/down,how fast,weather temperature etc and so on

The general consensus is that the 172 will do on average 30-31 mpg when mixed driving and around 36-38mpg when on a run.

I wouldnt buy a 172 if i was worried about fuel economy, buy a diesel if your after economy matey :)

Monaco 172
its only money mate, can't take it with ya, so if a car makes you happy then why the hell not i say :)

PH1 V6
good man! i have only just bought mine on saturday... insurance is a bit of a killer but OMFG is it worth it!

Like "Lukas1" said its only money and if it makes you happy then why not!? what else would you rather spend the money on?? if the answer is not alot else then do it!

Titanium 182
I've had mine a month now, completely standard when I bought it. It's amazing what you can achieve in a month with £500 ;)

Megane 225 F1
good man! i have only just bought mine on saturday... insurance is a bit of a killer but OMFG is it worth it!

Like "Lukas1" said its only money and if it makes you happy then why not!? what else would you rather spend the money on?? if the answer is not alot else then do it!

If i didnt spend it on a new car i would only spend it on booze and crap and probs stuff for my current car that isnt worth it.

Going to find one to test drive now

Megane 225 F1
Would the sportlines from my 1.4 fit a ph1 172?

Would sell the wheels as im fed up of trying to keep white turinis clean and im not sure about the seats. however selling them opens up chances for more mods :D

320d
Go for it. I did. I love my 172, its infinately better than my old 1.2

The sportlines will fit yes. You will also get a bit for your turini's because chances are your 172 will be silver and white and silver don't go imo. If I had a black or blue 172 i'd have 2118's in white definately, standard f1 cups with the silver go best imo.

I'd definately go ph1 too. Cheaper tax, insurance and purchase price. I love the old school of it too and it looks like a proper hot hatch too rather than a dynamique with bigger wheels (ph2 172).