ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need a HD ready TV...

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Guys,

Having recently purchased a Premium X360, i need a new HD ready TV in which to play it on.

I have my eye on this TV:

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...lmhcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&sku=308211

Can you guys who know about TV's tell me if its firstly any good, and whether it would be a good buy? My mate can get me a further 10% off making the deal all that more lucrative.

Or can you post some links of HD ready TV within my £1000 budget?

I will only use it for my X360, and watching normal TV, and DVD's... I'm not that hardcore like some of you guys with Sky HD, HD-DVD, etc!

Please let me have your thoughts.

Nice 1, Tys.

A4 Avant
I've got that telly but in cabinet form. Picture is awesome. Better than my friends LG. try and price match that price to jouhn Lewis as they offer 5 year warrantys with all tellys.

Picture is good over scart (DVD) and amazing over component (xbox360).

1.8 Civic EX
does your existing TV have a VGA input? I was tempted by a HD TV but after putting in the VGA cable I decided there wasn't enough differnce between HD or using the VGA cable...just my opinion...£20 cable or a £800+ TV..hmmm

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Don't forget to spend a bit and get really good cables, check what hi-fi for current best. They really do make the difference and as they say "Your system is only as good as the worst component".

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Thanks for the information guys; i'll check to see if i have an VGA input slot. How much are the "really good cables"?

Anyone else offer some more advice?

Thanks, Tys.

2012 WRX Waggon
we bought a 23" samsung HD from Costco $550, about 275 of your English pounds.

Crackin picture with the XBOX 360 BUT!! Won't play DVD from 360, comes up format unsupported - did a net search apparently Samdung tellys have a problem rendering interlaced inputs from DVD's!!

Saxo VTS
Tyson what size TV you looking for?

£1000 could get you a 40" LCD Sony S series Tv or for £839 you could get a 32" S Series LCD.

Both of these would be fine for what you want to use them for and they offer a really nice picture and sound (screens on them are actualy made by Samsung).

You could also look at a 32" or 40" Samsung for under £1000, which astheticaly I prefer to the Sony's.

However, the Panasonic you have there, we had running on Sky HD and the picture was fantastic. Looks really smart. Also it's a plasma which imo always seem to have better colour than an LCD.

Tbh for your price bracket you can't go far wrong with the Panasonic you've picked, but if you want to take advnatage of full HD (1080i/p, Blu Ray) then you'll need to upgrade.

Really good cables are £30-£60 depndant on format (Scart, HDMI etc) and they deffo help reduce noise.

Hope that helps a bit.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Hey, great information FincH!

Ideally, i'm looking for a 37" to 42" TV - I'm not overly clued up which is why i've asked the question. Most people i've asked have said the Panasonic i've chosen is a very good TV, and being offered at a very good price so i can't go wrong. I don't really understand all this 1080i and 1080p, so i do not know which i require.

I would like to have amazing graphics for my X360, so what would the best set up be? TV, cables, etc? Can you advise?

Thanks again.

Saxo VTS

Ideally, i'm looking for a 37" to 42" TV - I'm not overly clued up which is why i've asked the question. Most people i've asked have said the Panasonic i've chosen is a very good TV, and being offered at a very good price so i can't go wrong. I don't really understand all this 1080i and 1080p, so i do not know which i require.

I would like to have amazing graphics for my X360, so what would the best set up be? TV, cables, etc? Can you advise?

Thanks again.

Basicaly HD is available in different modes. The most common being 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The number tells you the amount of horizontal lines of pixels that are displayed. The letter at the end tells you if it is progressive (p) or interlaced (i)

Basicaly, 'True HD' runs at 1080p. This will give you the clearest and most defined images available from games and movies (that support this format). Also, because it is 1080p (as opposed to 1080i) it will brilliant for fast moving images such as games and sport etc.

In an ideal world you would go for a TV that supports 1080p (especialy with formats such as HD-DVD and Blu Ray now becoming available so you can take full advantage of the higher resolution) and use some high end gold plated and shielded cables (either HDMI or DVI)

With the budget you're on and for what you are using it for, go for a TV that supports 720p. This will be great for gaming and should be at a good price. Most modern day LCD/Plasmas support at least 720p so you shouldn't have trouble finding one for a good price.

However, if you want to spend a bit more (£2000 at least) go for a TV that supports full 1080p. This will give you the best of the best.

Lol, hope I haven't confused things too much for you. But in a nut shell:

720p = Good for budget
1080p = Best picture but at a price

:)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Thanks again.
We bought a new TV a couple of months ago and after looking through numerous reviews, Which? magazine and so on, we bought a 50" Panasonic HD ready because Panasonic came out best, even beating Sony, which was what our last TV was and the picture and sound quality can't be faulted. We have Panasonic surround sound speakers that are superb and complement the picture quality perfectly.

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/televisions/panasonic-viera-th50px60cab-50-in-plasma-tv--pid484287239/http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th-65px600/index.htm

Last edited:
  Lux'd Glacier White R26
Steve, have you shopped with Multi Region Magic before? I think i'm going to go for that TV you have posted.

Nobody, like Curry's list that TV in their stock as yet....

Tys.

Thanks again.

Basicaly HD is available in different modes. The most common being 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The number tells you the amount of horizontal lines of pixels that are displayed. The letter at the end tells you if it is progressive (p) or interlaced (i)

Basicaly, 'True HD' runs at 1080p. This will give you the clearest and most defined images available from games and movies (that support this format). Also, because it is 1080p (as opposed to 1080i) it will brilliant for fast moving images such as games and sport etc.

In an ideal world you would go for a TV that supports 1080p (especialy with formats such as HD-DVD and Blu Ray now becoming available so you can take full advantage of the higher resolution) and use some high end gold plated and shielded cables (either HDMI or DVI)

With the budget you're on and for what you are using it for, go for a TV that supports 720p. This will be great for gaming and should be at a good price. Most modern day LCD/Plasmas support at least 720p so you shouldn't have trouble finding one for a good price.

However, if you want to spend a bit more (£2000 at least) go for a TV that supports full 1080p. This will give you the best of the best.

720p = Good for budget

All good info, but... 1080P is not really necessary in a TV under 40" because on screens smaller than that the naked eye wouldnt be able to notice the extra detail! Unless you want a seriously big screen spending the extra for a 1080P screen would be a waste of cash. 720P is more than enough for that, which is the norm for most HD TVs.

Oh, and the info earlier about Samsung TVs not supporting interlaced DVD pictures is not true. I've had HD dvd and SD dvd, interlaced and non interlaced from different regions all running perfectly on my Samsung! The set above isn't a 1080p set either, as the screen res is 1,024 x 768, so that will display a 720P signal, but for 1080 signals it scales them down. TBH thats all you really need.

Last edited:
  Saxo VTS

720p = Good for budget

All good info, but... 1080P is not really necessary in a TV under 40" because on screens smaller than that the naked eye wouldnt be able to notice the extra detail! Unless you want a seriously big screen spending the extra for a 1080P screen would be a waste of cash. 720P is more than enough for that, which is the norm for most HD TVs.

Oh, and the info earlier about Samsung TVs not supporting interlaced DVD pictures is not true. I've had HD dvd and SD dvd, interlaced and non interlaced from different regions all running perfectly on my Samsung! The set above isn't a 1080p set either, as the screen res is 1,024 x 768, so that will display a 720P signal, but for 1080 signals it scales them down. TBH thats all you really need.

Yeah, I've not seen a TV under 42" that offers 1080p anyway (dunno if one exists). Have to say actualy, after comparing the 46" Sharp 1080p TV and a 40" Sony S series TV (1080i) on Sky HD and a PS3 the Sharp beat the Sony hands down. Picture was much sharper and had a lot less noise than the Sony. You can pick the 46" Sharp up for £1439 off Currys website. Stunning set :)