ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I NEED a 172!!!!!

180.5 bhp 172
Went on a test drive of a 2003 plate 172 Cup yesterday, and wasn't impressed. Was a hunk of sh*t, had a really bad rattle from the engine bay at about 3k rpm, was on 90 something k' miles, and hadn't had the belts done! Plus I could only take it around 30mph roads for a test, which kind of spoiled it.

But today I took a '52' plate 172 in Flame Red out for a spin, 80k on the clock, and would do a straight swap for my 1.2 16v ('55' plate with 33k) which was ideal in regards to convienience (sp!), but not really the price I wanted as they wanted £3750 for the 172.
Took it on some duel carridgeway, and WOW. They are rapid! Its a huge step up from my 1.2 16v!!

Only problem it had (Which put me off buying that one today) was the steering wheel wobble at 60+mph was hurrendous!! The wheel balance was way out. There must of been about 2 inches or travel in the steering wheel!! And it sounded like the rear wheel bearing had gone too as it was making a very loud humming noise at 30+mph, and got worse the faster you got!

The feeling of power I got when I was booting it on the dual carridgeway was awesome! I love the 5k kick too, and watching the cars dissapear in the rear view mirror was really pleasing :evil:
I got back in my 1.2 16v to drive home, and I was so shocked. Ever since I have been home, I find myself wanting to get back out on a duel carridgeway and give a 172 some beans!

Oh well, Im sure ill find a nice Flame Red soon enough.

Wish me luck!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Flame Red ones are the best colour of any mk2 clio imo, good luck finding a good'un.

Take a look at cliolou's, her's is perfect although she didn't do it herself she bought it that way.

BG 182 FF
what the insurance going to be like if you get a 172 m8y if you dont mind me asking?

180.5 bhp 172
sounds about right.

they told me today they wont insure me untill im 21 :(

Yeah its a good price IMO, especially as that's with £0 excess!!

Just gotta find a nice one now - wasnt in much of a rush to get one, but the test drive today made me realize I'm hooked and that I need to get my ass in gear and get one!

Went on a test drive of a 2003 plate 172 Cup yesterday, and wasn't impressed. Was a hunk of sh*t, had a really bad rattle from the engine bay at about 3k rpm, was on 90 something k' miles, and hadn't had the belts done! Plus I could only take it around 30mph roads for a test, which kind of spoiled it.

But today I took a '52' plate 172 in Flame Red out for a spin, 80k on the clock, and would do a straight swap for my 1.2 16v ('55' plate with 33k) which was ideal in regards to convienience (sp!), but not really the price I wanted as they wanted £3750 for the 172.
Took it on some duel carridgeway, and WOW. They are rapid! Its a huge step up from my 1.2 16v!!

Only problem it had (Which put me off buying that one today) was the steering wheel wobble at 60+mph was hurrendous!! The wheel balance was way out. There must of been about 2 inches or travel in the steering wheel!! And it sounded like the rear wheel bearing had gone too as it was making a very loud humming noise at 30+mph, and got worse the faster you got!

The feeling of power I got when I was booting it on the dual carridgeway was awesome! I love the 5k kick too, and watching the cars dissapear in the rear view mirror was really pleasing :evil:
I got back in my 1.2 16v to drive home, and I was so shocked. Ever since I have been home, I find myself wanting to get back out on a duel carridgeway and give a 172 some beans!

Oh well, Im sure ill find a nice Flame Red soon enough.

Wish me luck!

I know what you mean, I drove all the way to doncaster in my 1.2, test drove my 172 (flame red btw :p ) loved it, got back in my 1.2 for the journey home and no lie as soon as I got in my 1.2 I thought I was in the wrong year, setting off in 1st seemed more like 2nd).

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeah its a good price IMO, especially as that's with £0 excess!!

Just gotta find a nice one now - wasnt in much of a rush to get one, but the test drive today made me realize I'm hooked and that I need to get my ass in gear and get one!
only thing with direct line is they wont let you do anything to your car untill your 25+. and i mean anything. they wont even let you put any alloy wheels on the car.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Glad you like it mate, but please don't turn into one of those CS'ers that thinks a 172 is actually a fast car. It's nippy at best, but I can see where these driving stories come from reading this.

Enjoy if you get one! They're good little cars.

180.5 bhp 172
only thing with direct line is they wont let you do anything to your car untill your 25+. and i mean anything. they wont even let you put any alloy wheels on the car.

That's ok for me tbh, all I plan to do is put a panel filter in, so they won't be told about that LOL

180.5 bhp 172
Glad you like it mate, but please don't turn into one of those CS'ers that thinks a 172 is actually a fast car. It's nippy at best, but I can see where these driving stories come from reading this.

Based on a comparison to what? A 1.2 or a lambo?

I do genuinly think they are fast cars, but if your going from a veyron to a 172 its not going to be fast, but as an upgrade from a 1.2 16v its fast as fook!

What do you regard as a fast car compared to the 172??

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

I do genuinly think they are fast cars, but if your going from a veyron to a 172 its not going to be fast, but as an upgrade from a 1.2 16v its fast as fook!

Hes got a point tbf but it does depend what your coming from. Like to us 1.2>2.0 is going to feel mad. Now imagine how mad 1.2>BMW M3 would feel. They aren't the fastest things on the road but are fairly quick for what they are!

You are a right ray of sunshine.

Every thread ive seen you post in the past couple of days you've always something negative to say about someone driving a 172.

Its not like a MX5 is that big a step up.

Think you need a happy pill.

EDIT: See the others have beat me to it. If all you have to say is negative, then keep it to yourself.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Anything's faster than a 1.2 though.. Purely because it's not even designed to do any sort of speed, the typical owners probably wouldn't care if it did 0-60 in a minute.

They are fairly rapid, but its more about the fun you get out of such a cheap car.

Agreed, they're fun and capable cars. You only have to read the Road Driving Stories sub-forum to see how many deluded owners there are on this forum.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You are a right ray of sunshine.

Every thread ive seen you post in the past couple of days you've always something negative to say about someone driving a 172.

Its not like a MX5 is that big a step up.

Think you need a happy pill.

EDIT: See the others have beat me to it. If all you have to say is negative, then keep it to yourself.

Hi. I'm glad I clicked view post now!

I don't recall saying anything negative about a 172. People who think it's fast are comparing it to people on the road maintaining a constant speed. If you throttle a 1.6 everywhere you'll pull away from traffic.

I don't recall comparing a 172 to an MX5 either! A standard MX5 is frightfully slow in a straight line, but it's the most fun I've had in a car on the road and that's why I have it.

180.5 bhp 172
Well id rather be in a clio than a MX5!

Horrible hairdresser cars.

+1!

I'm sure 172's are faster than mx5's aswell, are they not?

Some one needs to get off their hairdressing high horse and see that they dont own the fastest car in the world either!

clio sport 172 cup
i would agree

Then its a matter of personal opinion which cars you like and don't.

But my cup wins hands down on any other car for same price and power imo

All im saying is you seem quick to run other people into the ground when they talk about driving a 172.

Maybe you should keep stuff like that to yourself.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
+1!

I'm sure 172's are faster than mx5's aswell, are they not?

Some one needs to get off their hairdressing high horse and see that they dont own the fastest car in the world either!

+Roffle.

A 172 would pull away from an MX5 pretty quickly in a straight line you're right. Round a track? I doubt it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
All im saying is you seem quick to run other people into the ground when they talk about driving a 172.

Maybe you should keep stuff like that to yourself.

Actually I don't, you just don't read properly!

I actually fancy another Clio as I loved mine. I was thinking a race prepped 172, but I just don't fancy another FWD car.

You stick with your chav waggon and I'll stick with my hairdressers car:D

Test drove my first 172 yesterday and saying they're slow is silly.

And being a former Scooby owner I like to think I know what's fast and what's not. ;)

Yea, it's not going to win any races against focussed sports cars, but TBH it's a hell of a lot quicker than 90% of the cars you'll see on the road and, most importantly, it seems like an absolute hoot to drive.

The thing I like is that you *can* rag the nutts off of it and you won't be breaking speeding laws continuously (could easily hit 70 in 2nd in the Scooby).

Actually I don't, you just don't read properly!

I actually fancy another Clio as I loved mine. I was thinking a race prepped 172, but I just don't fancy another FWD car.

You stick with your chav waggon and I'll stick with my hairdressers car:D
Chav wagon? Now that is funny!

Ive seen more chavved up MX5's than ive seen Ph1 172's.

Back in the box son.

Last edited: