ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I NEED 172 BJ'S. PLEASE HELP ME.

ph1 172... Sold:(
Where do I get them?

Just called into Reno Stockport and they reckon that balljoints for a 172 are not available individually, they come with a wishbone attached at close to 60 quid.

The guy said that he could supply a 'regular' clio balljoint, and we had a look at one, but from what I could tell the 'bores' where they bolt through are smaller than the one's I removed, which is the same problem as the ECP ones I've fitted. He also said that they were 46 quid anyway, so why not get the whole thing

So where do I get the correct parts? Does anyone do them? Can anyone give me a more reasonable quote or let me have a part number.

I'm begging for help, basically, as I wouldn't trust the ones not to move whilst on, say, a trackday or hard blat.

I'm getting a bit worn down by all the problems my low mileage bargain's giving me, any help would help stave off total disillusionment (if that's even a word?).

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
172 BJs? sounds like an expensive weekend (and exhausting) in amsterdam.

172 BJs? sounds like an expensive weekend (and exhausting) in amsterdam.

I am going to be CS's unofficial 'Worst and Most Misunderstood Thread Title Poster'!

Does anyone know what I mean about the Bolts being bigger?

The one that was nearest the end of the w/bone actually had a serrated ring round it just flush to the head (oh no more double entendres) which was almost giving an interference fit with the inside face of the wishbone and balljoint holes. It was really hard to get out.

It seems that the Man at Renault was right, and the BJ's for 172/182 only come as part of an entire wishbone unit, for £££.

Why Oh Why? :dapprove:

Top marks to Fred for putting in a stirling effort to verify this fact.

His help has been invaluable, and it does make me wonder how others have got on? There is a ball joint changing guide in the guides section, is this for 172/182, and if so where did the author get the part? If anyone has had a similar experience let me know, I may have a soloution:

I have access to a press drill and experienced operator.

Can anyone see a problem in using this facility to rebore the bolt holes on my replacement units, and refix using the original super-bolts (using fresh ny-locks of course)?

I don't see a problem, if done well, other than the bore's the units seem identical, and they are just drilled into the blank after casting anyway (aren't they?)

All replies and suggestions welcome...

172 ph1
Someone on here had a picture of a balljoint they had managed to fit.

It was Renault part 7701472038

Worth doing a search, it was only a week or two ago.