ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i have just ordered this

I think the standard Reno xenons are approx 4000k.

I fitted 8000k to my meggy, I wanted more of a blue tint to the light.

VW Golf TDI
are they really blue or do u get away with it? You ever been pulled by the police for them ?

I know the purple ones look abit dodgy u got any night time pictures, and are they hard to fit or are the wires just push togeather ???

Ok....to answer your questions
No they arn't really blue, more of a tint. Only slightly more blue than standard Reno Xenons.
Not be pulled by the plod...The kit I purchased was all CE and kite marked etc....
The kit I had was a simple plug and play installation. Only consideration is where to mount the ballest (charge pack)...on the meggy it was easy.

Here is some pics
Left light is HID (Xenon)
hids003.jpg

hids-008.jpg

hids-009.jpg

Alan said:
Could these bulbs be fitted to a 172/182 headlight unit??

Yeah I guess so...If the 172/182 has xenons. Its just a case of swaping the bulbs to a higher "k" rating. The proper xenon bulbs arn't cheap though!!!

Edit: £90 for a pair of Xenon 8000k bulbs

ST
Yep my 182 has xenons....

£90 pocket change for the result to be honest...

Are the ones you've put in your 225 proper ones??

Alan said:
Yep my 182 has xenons....

£90 pocket change for the result to be honest...

Are the ones you've put in your 225 proper ones??

Yes mate the ones in the 225 are a proper HID kit with Ballast etc...Not the cheap Xenon bulbs.

The standard xenons on 182 are 4000k ish...which is a nice crisp white light. Laying out 90 quid for the resulting slight blue tint IMHO isn't really worth it unless you have got to change them. My meggy didn't have xenons as standard, hence why I fitted them.

ralph wiggum said:
OE (i.e. standard) are 4300K

6000K are the one to go for , 8000K are illegal as they are too blue

put them in at your own risk

If 8000k are illegal, why are the the bulbs being manufactured by the likes of Osram, Phillips, etc... CE and kite marked:S

I think you will find the law on car lights is more to do with output limit, which is 60 watts for the main beam and 55 watts for the lower (dipped) beam

Last edited:
8k produce a very blue light.

No vehicles other than police, ambulances and fire engines are allowed blue light of any kind to be on the car.

12k is purple lol and pointless as a normal lamp has more lumens lol

Mégane RS
8000k are illegal, they are for show use only and the reason the big companies make them is there is a big market for them in Japan/Asia

Heres my 6000k philips ultinon

CIMG5306Medium.jpg

CIMG22601.jpg

my3.jpg

also worth mentioning is the higher the Kelvin the lower the light output, 4,300 is the standard as its traditionaly the brightest

4300K can look yellow if the beam pattern is not spread properly using a diffuser. Well not yellow but can look 'un-xenon' if hooked up wrong

which is why most aftermarket kits are 6000k, as you get the typical crisp white light associated with xenons.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
ive got 9k bulbs in mine and have never been pulled by the old bill and the car just passed it's mot without any mention about lights being the wrong colour. they are violet white which look very blue but stiil gives me loads more light than the o.e candle sticks that come in mk1's. pic of mine and wazzas hids, wazzas got 8k....
DSCF1859Medium.jpg

well your both illegal LOL

just hope you never get pulled, and tbh the MOT wont pick them up anyway its not like they have a 'K' chart to compare them on.

Mégane RS
the 9000k is illegal but who cares lol

i might go and do the opposite and get some 2-3000k lol

Someone posted a 'K' chart on here which showed that 6k were the brightest.

We all think that the bigger the number the better the bulb but it's not the case, '6K' is brightest and best.

And I'd like some please.

ralph wiggum said:
well your both illegal LOL

just hope you never get pulled, and tbh the MOT wont pick them up anyway its not like they have a 'K' chart to compare them on.

Show me where it says >6000k lights are illegal.

As Ive said in past posts the big automotive manufactures are all producing 6000k - 8000k bulbs, for the UK market. Surley if these were illegal they wouldn't be able to market or sell them.

Come on mate back up your claim;)

VW Golf TDI
well now we have all had a good argument about this, will these go straight in to a clio 182 cup without xenons, i have heard you have to cut and file the bulb holders etc

Grant_172 said:
well now we have all had a good argument about this, will these go straight in to a clio 182 cup without xenons, i have heard you have to cut and file the bulb holders etc

As long as you specifiy the correct bulb type when buying the kit....its a straight plug and play job.

Tangoed Works
I mite go for some 8000k, that colour temperature looks class. Still get people flashing their hazards, or trying to tell you that you have your high beam on with standards.

Should be fun with new ones.

I cant imagine any copper pulling you up for bulbs. I used to run PIAA 100/110 in my last car with no worries or complaints from other drivers or the law.

from Trophy 2 work van :(
I want Xenons :( What are the best non-xenon bulbs to buy? do any of them give a xenon-ish light out?

KingTrophy said:
I want Xenons :( What are the best non-xenon bulbs to buy? do any of them give a xenon-ish light out?

Just buy a proper xenon conversion kit 6000k £100-200 quid all in ballast the lot

forget these gay look alike halogen bulbs